Options

Olympiakos Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time for it's yearly bump, anyway it's looking likely that we, along with all other greek teams and the greek national team will be expelled from european competition.

Here's the story so far (in English) :-
    http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite5_1_16/04/2015_549133

And here comes UEFA/FIFA :-
    http://www.epo.gr/media/files/FIFA_UEFA/150422%20Submission%20of%20the%20draft%20bill%20to%20the%20Greek%20Parliament.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This makes me wonder if the government can be sued by the clubs who had been assured of champions league / europa league positions? Players who thought they'd be exposed to european competitions have signed for clubs or extended contracts.
    This could get messy!
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people turning away from Greek football with the bad economy or are they still turning up in big numbers? Another question, how did Vladimir Weiss do at Olympiakos? He was an ex-Rangers player I would like to see back again one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, numbers are about 1/3 down. Our average league attendance is 17k where it was about 24-25k before the crash.
    Outside of the big 4 (Olympiakos, panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK), numbers are crazily small. Most average between 1200-1500, Corfu average at about 800 per game.
    Vladimir Weiss is out in Dubai or UAE at the moment. He fell out with our manager at the time and decided to go there for the cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, numbers are about 1/3 down. Our average league attendance is 17k where it was about 24-25k before the crash.
    Outside of the big 4 (Olympiakos, panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK), numbers are crazily small. Most average between 1200-1500, Corfu average at about 800 per game.
    Vladimir Weiss is out in Dubai or UAE at the moment. He fell out with our manager at the time and decided to go there for the cash.

1200-1500 is way smaller than I thought. Something I always wondered about the derby with Panathinaikos how intense is it or has it been clamped down on? I read Panathinaikos are fan owned is that something you'd want?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The derbies are as crazy as always, no away fans are allowed to attend (and haven't been allowed for the last 15 years or so). It usually turns into fans v police, pitch invasions and tear gas galore. This is a google search for images from the recent Panathinaikos-Olympiakos derby so you can see just how intense/crazily dangerous some of these derbies can be :- (check out the third line of images!!!! :o)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=panathinaikos+olympiakos&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1075&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2015%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=isch

The trouble for the police is that its not just football, the big teams have not only a football team but also a basketball team, mens volleyball team, womens volleyball, mens waterpolo and womens waterpolo and the security has to be just as tight at these games too.
    Panathinaikos are fan owned but they've were exploited for years by the previous owners who happily took the champions league money year on year and brought players on free contracts into the club. Eventually, they declined so badly that they could no longer qualify for the Champions League and the owners finally sold the club. Now they get stamped on by the likes of Maribor in the qualifying stage and the fans complain about the world being against them.
    Our owner is a billionaire shipping magnate and we have the money, but he's badly advised on some of the players to buy and he has the problem of no decent player in his prime wanting to play in the Greek league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The derbies are as crazy as always, no away fans are allowed to attend (and haven't been allowed for the last 15 years or so). It usually turns into fans v police, pitch invasions and tear gas galore. This is a google search for images from the recent Panathinaikos-Olympiakos derby so you can see just how intense/crazily dangerous some of these derbies can be :- (check out the third line of images!!!! :o)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=panathinaikos+olympiakos&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1075&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2015%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=isch

The trouble for the police is that its not just football, the big teams have not only a football team but also a basketball team, mens volleyball team, womens volleyball, mens waterpolo and womens waterpolo and the security has to be just as tight at these games too.
    Panathinaikos are fan owned but they've were exploited for years by the previous owners who happily took the champions league money year on year and brought players on free contracts into the club. Eventually, they declined so badly that they could no longer qualify for the Champions League and the owners finally sold the club. Now they get stamped on by the likes of Maribor in the qualifying stage and the fans complain about the world being against them.
    Our owner is a billionaire shipping magnate and we have the money, but he's badly advised on some of the players to buy and he has the problem of no decent player in his prime wanting to play in the Greek league.

That looks crazy. Like something from the 1980s over there and you don't even have opposition fans. Never heard of security at waterpolo or volleyball games, must be some rivalry. What is the hatred all about with the fans, is it purely football/sports related or city rivalry or is it more like politics and culture or religion etc?

I noticed you had a few decent players like Afellay and Mitroglou who barely got a kick over here even though he had good pedigree. What was the Greek thoughts on your world cup performance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sports club rivalries started with politics, Olympiakos were a club from the working classes and Panathinaikos were from the wealthier areas but that distinction has long gone. Now it's just inbred hatred for each other.

For the players, Mitroglou was formerly ours anyway but the loan has been a so-so success. He's scored but hasn't looked motivated at times, he'll be going back to Fulham this summer I think.
    Afellay has more or less told the press that the only reason he's with us is because he wanted to get some match fitness. He couldn't give a sh1t about us or any success we have, just that we pay his wages. A total mercenary of a player and he can go back to Barca this summer.

I think everyone was happy with the distraction of the World Cup but Claudio Ranieri disastrous campaign has ground that feeling to a halt. Now it may be that Greece are chucked out of Europe anyway. We'll see next week I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just signed Ideye Brown from WBA. Is he any good? Anyone know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11/12/19 - 19:45 #111
    4 year bump... :o
    Last game of the CL group for us tonight.
    Win against Red Star and we go into Europa League.
    Draw against Red Star and they go through.
    Lose and I go to bed sobbing my eyes out. Haha.

Still I think we can do this. We have a decent enough core of players and I hope that we keep hold of them until the summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I can see myself being very disappointed tonight. For some reason our manager has decided to line up with 3x DM so there is no natural link up between midfield and the forwards.
    Add the amateur defending to that lineup and you can understand why this first half has been frustrating.

The thing is we’ve played well at times in this campaign, both Tottenham matches had their highlights and we pushed Bayern really hard at home, so it makes tonight’s shambles totally mystifying.

If we are serious about winning tonight then we need to introduce a #10 into the lineup, fast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11/12/19 - 22:05 #113
    Well, an outrageous handball from Red Star got us a penalty and a goal.
    So it finished 1-0 and we progress to the Europa League. Hardly a vintage performance in any way though.
    What is apparent, is that we need to reinforce in January if we are to do anything.
    One backup striker (preferably one not allergic to scoring goals) and one central defender please!