Options

Jimmy Savile

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Of course you're allowed to comment and attempt to rationalise what you see as hysteria over a news item involving a celebrity.

Unfortunately, in today's society there are many who would like to dictate that you mustn't do so. It's becoming offensive to offend anyone - there are many areas now where there's an unwritten rule that one must not say anything about a subject just in case another person or group is upset or offended by something one says.

I hate to use the hackneyed phrase "political correctness", but that will easily be understood, and alarm bells should really be ringing loudly warning against the threat to democracy that this evidently involves. Those who attempt to stifle alternative views and dismiss reasoned argument are essentially guilty of the undermining of the democratic views.

I agree – there’s a few subjects in the news this year and to be quite frank it’s all becoming rather Orwellian. With the tragic April Jones case, people, rightly pointing out, we have a legal system that has to be followed were being labelled as “nonce lovers”. It’s rather worrying in many respects. However, to use a quote from Blackadder I do think JS is as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I am allowed to comment and go against the mainstream surely? Or is that not allowed today?

Of course you're allowed to comment and attempt to rationalise what you see as hysteria over a news item involving a celebrity.

Unfortunately, in today's society there are many who would like to dictate that you mustn't do so. It's becoming offensive to offend anyone - there are many areas now where there's an unwritten rule that one must not say anything about a subject just in case another person or group is upset or offended by something one says.

I hate to use the hackneyed phrase "political correctness", but that will easily be understood, and alarm bells should really be ringing loudly warning against the threat to democracy that this evidently involves. Those who attempt to stifle alternative views and dismiss reasoned argument are essentially guilty of the undermining of the democratic views.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »

Where does anyone in this thread suggest that Jack - or anyone else - should not air his views? Where did anyone mention being offended by Jack's views?

Arguing strongly against someone's views, or challenging them to justify them, is not the same as saying they can't hold or express those views. It's only people with poor arguments who then go bleating about some perceived 'political correctness'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Actor Peter Winguarde's wonderful acting career was killed stone dead by a small column in a newspaper mentioning an incident in a public toilet.

He was arrested and convicted for cottaging (not his first offence) and appeared on television up until 2003. His high profile career was killed by his inability to keep away from public toilets.
  • Options
    airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBCTV star sport commentator of 30 years Frank Bough whole television career was totally wiped out by ONE picture of him in a sleezy club.

Actor Peter Winguarde's wonderful acting career was killed stone dead by a small column in a newspaper mentioning an incident in a public toilet.

This would have happened to Savile, he was not untouchable- so it makes you still wonder if a lot of this stuff is trivial crap blown into huge proportions?

I'd don't think it fair to include Peter Wyngarde's name alongside that of Jimmy Saville's to be quite honest. Had he been accused of such things today, it would most likely have been quickly forgotten much like the similar misdemeanours of George Michael.
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    I'd don't think it fair to include Peter Wyngarde's name alongside that of Jimmy Saville's to be quite honest. Had he been accused of such things today, it would most likely have been quickly forgotten much like the similar misdemeanours of George Michael.

The point I was trying to make is that the press or indeed the public took no prisoners in the 60s 70s 80s, any tarnish on a celebrity's image and that celebrity was finished.

Peter Wyngarde may have indeed visited toilets later on, but the one incident at Bristol killed his star career stone dead.Only recovering to bit parts in the 1980s. Today he would have been given sympathy for the fact, that as a boy he spent a distressing time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp, but in the 1970s celebrities had to be squeaky clean and no sympathy for any misdemeanors.

I made these comparisons to Jimmy Savile, as we are now expected to believe that he ran rampant in the 60s 70s 80s doing what the hell he liked.
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there will certainly be more arrests to come, probably in the coming days.

Ex Piccadilly,R Caroline DJ and Savile chauffeur Ray Teret has been arrested.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20258447
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Ex Piccadilly,R Caroline DJ and Savile chauffeur Ray Teret has been arrested.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20258447

Not connected it seems..."Det Insp Simon Davies said he wanted to make it "absolutely clear" it was not an investigation into Savile'
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=jack patterson;62029544
    Peter Wyngarde may have indeed visited toilets later on, but the one incident at Bristol killed his star career stone dead.Only recovering to bit parts in the 1980s. Today he would have been given sympathy for the fact, that as a boy he spent a distressing time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp, but in the 1970s celebrities had to be squeaky clean and no sympathy for any misdemeanors.

[/QUOTE]

f anything I would have thought its the other way round. Its today where there is an obsession with everyone being squeaky clean.