Options

Names you struggle to say

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One in particular, how do you say Mel Giedroyc last name?

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Something like "Gedroitch" I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The name 'Siobhan' when you encounter it the first time. :blush:
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Eurydice. :D
  • Options
    moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum tells a story of her embarrassment over name pronunciations at work in her younger days.

She went into a room full of men and said there was a call for Mr Beauchamp. (She pronounced it "Bow-shomp"). Cue room full of laughter at her expense. Apparently the correct pronunciation was "Beecham".

To be fair to my mum, I would never have looked at the spelling "Beauchamp" and thought it was pronounced "Beecham". I'd likely have said it similar to the way she did.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chloe.

I can't ever say that name without feeling I'd pronounced it wrong.
  • Options
    lybertynelybertyne Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One advantage of being a football fan is that you learn how to pronounce a wide variety of interesting looking names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lybertyne wrote: »
    One advantage of being a football fan is that you learn how to pronounce a wide variety of interesting looking names.

Go on, for example?....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum tells a story of her embarrassment over name pronunciations at work in her younger days.

She went into a room full of men and said there was a call for Mr Beauchamp. (She pronounced it "Bow-shomp"). Cue room full of laughter at her expense. Apparently the correct pronunciation was "Beecham".

To be fair to my mum, I would never have looked at the spelling "Beauchamp" and thought it was pronounced "Beecham". I'd likely have said it similar to the way she did.

:D aw
  • Options
    lybertynelybertyne Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wojciech Szczesny
    Cesar Azpilicueta
    Xavi
    Ruud Gullit
    Martin Ødegaard
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lybertyne wrote: »
    Wojciech Szczesny
    Cesar Azpilicueta
    Xavi
    Ruud Gullit
    Martin Ødegaard

I'm old enough to remember when Brian Moore called Graeme Souness 'Sowness', and Ajax 'Ayy-Jacks'.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    The name 'Siobhan' when you encounter it the first time. :blush:

I had trouble with that, could be like shovevan.
  • Options
    WintlepieWintlepie Posts: 306
    Forum Member

I made exactly the same mistake with Beauchamp. :blush:

I also remember I read a book with a Hermione in it (not Harry Potter) and I assumed it was pronounced Her-me-own. My friend soon corrected me and though it was hilarious :(
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I'm old enough to remember when Brian Moore called Graeme Souness 'Sowness', and Ajax 'Ayy-Jacks'.
    Mick Shannon used to call Lineker 'the boy line-acre'. Ayy-jacks (hay without the h) is correct, where I come from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wintlepie wrote: »
    I made exactly the same mistake with Beauchamp. :blush:

I also remember I read a book with a Hermione in it (not Harry Potter) and I assumed it was pronounced Her-me-own. My friend soon corrected me and though it was hilarious :(

There used to be a girl in the Diana comic in the 70s called Hermione. I always read it as Hermoyne. :blush:

Edward Woodward is a bit of a mouthful
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member

Well, I should imagine that your Mum pronounced it as if it was French, which it is. I think it means 'beautiful field'.

When I moved to Chesham in Buckinghamshire as a teenager I insisted on saying Chesham Bwoi instead of Boys because in French it meant 'wood'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carol Vorderman... almost a total block.

Rachel Riley just trips off the tongue though..
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    You get some names are pronounced nothing like how they are spelled.

Two that spring to mind are Mengis (pronounced Menzies), and Oisin (pronounced Osheen).
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Magdalen Bridge in Oxford is pronounced 'Maudlin' .

My ex-husband (not the brightest) used to call car makes 'Pewjot', 'Rennawt', 'Seet', and, wait for it ...... 'Vulvo'!
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    As a kid I always used to think that Lois (as in the Superman comics) was pronounced "Loize", rather than "Loh-iss".
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Well, I should imagine that your Mum pronounced it as if it was French, which it is. I think it means 'beautiful field'.

When I moved to Chesham in Buckinghamshire as a teenager I insisted on saying Chesham Bwoi instead of Boys because in French it meant 'wood'.

Chesham Bois - I used to think people were referring to a Boys school!
    @Elyan
    I think Menzies is written Menzies but pronounced Mingis?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Chesham Bois - I used to think people were referring to a Boys school!
    @Elyan
    I think Menzies is written Menzies but pronounced Mingis?

Yes I believe you are right. I got it the wrong way 'round.

I stand corrected. :)
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Mick Shannon used to call Lineker 'the boy line-acre'. Ayy-jacks (hay without the h) is correct, where I come from.

Oo arr, the boy Line-Acre, forgot that! :D

Any commentator saying Ay-Jacks today would be laughed at though, considering the club have now been famous outside Holland for over 40 years. Mind you, people have just got out of the habit of Ree-al Madrid, as opposed to the correct Ray-ahl.

The Spurs fellah from years ago Peter Shreeve got so fed up of people mysteriously adding an 's' to his name that he eventually stopped correcting them.
    There is some confusion about his name. He says "My real name is Shreeve, but over the years I've had so many people getting it wrong that in the end I thought, 'why not – it's Shreeves.' I've looked in the club handbooks and I see that one year my name is spelt with an 's' at the end, the next it is 'Shreeve'