Andrew Marr interviewing Hugh Laurie

JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
Forum Member
If Andrew Marr is going to interview musicians about their new releases, then perhaps he should engage someone who knows his rear end from his elbow to prepare intelligent questions for him to ask.

His first question to Hugh Laurie who has a new blues album out on 2nd May was to the effect "you have had a good life so far and made lots of money, why would you want to do a blues album" :confused: He was serious too !

He continued to press the point throughout the interview. There was no reference to the songs on the album, the composers of said songs, the origins and vintage of the songs, the backing musicians and guest artists on the album. Goodness me, I have never had much regard for the competence or otherwise of the BBC in matters relating to the various styles of American popular music, but this interview hit a real low.

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a longer version of the interview on the website.

It was a legit question (Laurie agreed that it was) and Marr is a HUGE music fan, paying his own way to attend many of the summer festivals and not ligging off the BBC who have a presence at many of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Hugh Laurie is used to inane questions from US interviewers, I'm sure this was a breath of fresh air for him. Look up 'stop boring Hugh Laurie' on YouTube.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

It was a legit question (Laurie agreed that it was) and Marr is a HUGE music fan, paying his own way to attend many of the summer festivals and not ligging off the BBC who have a presence at many of them.

What do you think Marr would have asked him if he had done a country music album ?
    "Hugh Laurie you have never roped a steer in your life,you have never been involved in a gunfight at a saloon, why should you do a country and western album ?" :D

The question was indeed inane.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely legit question, and it was asked quite light-heartedly. Hugh Laurie even admitted (as he has said in other interviews, too) that he's pondered the question himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    "Hugh Laurie you have never roped a steer in your life,you have never been involved in a gunfight at a saloon, why should you do a country and western album ?"

Yes, that too would have been a legit question if he chooses to do one.

Torpedoed your own nonsense there really. Without realising it which is a bit sad......
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His first question to Hugh Laurie who has a new blues album out on 2nd May was to the effect "you have had a good life so far and made lots of money, why would you want to do a blues album" :confused: He was serious too
    Out of all the people in the world, I wouldn't place Hugh Laurie in the top 6 billion as likely to
    a) be able to sing
    b) be qualified to do a blues album
    so for those reasons, I'd say the question was perfectly legitimate and deserved an answer (not that I care in the slightest about Hugh Laurie, or his opinions. But I do respect Andrew Marr's intelligence and ability)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Is Bob Harris doing a Hugh Laurie interview for his Radio 2 show? That would probably delve more into the musical roots side of the story.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Its just a sign of dumbing down of BBC TV. Some of the questions were just rediculous.

If you want to see real interviews you have to watch Inside The Actors Studio or stuff like that.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a longer version of the interview on the website.

I love your shock at a BBC presenter actually paying to attend a concert. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    If you want to see real interviews you have to watch Inside The Actors Studio...

AKA The Arse Kissing Show.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    AKA The Arse Kissing Show.

The Laurie one is very good.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Out of all the people in the world, I wouldn't place Hugh Laurie in the top 6 billion as likely to
    a) be able to sing
    b) be qualified to do a blues album
    so for those reasons, I'd say the question was perfectly legitimate and deserved an answer (not that I care in the slightest about Hugh Laurie, or his opinions. But I do respect Andrew Marr's intelligence and ability)
    Apart from the fact that he's been playing instruments and singing on tv shows for decades.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that he's been playing instruments and singing on tv shows for decades.

Indeed. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgS1ctxglw
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    If you want to see real interviews you have to watch Inside The Actors Studio or stuff like that.

:eek::D Are you being serious? The host make Piers Morgan look like Paxman.

Talk about licking arse, every flop any actors been in is 'amazing and wonderful' according to him.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    If Andrew Marr is going to interview musicians about their new releases, then perhaps he should engage someone who knows his rear end from his elbow to prepare intelligent questions for him to ask.

His first question to Hugh Laurie who has a new blues album out on 2nd May was to the effect "you have had a good life so far and made lots of money, why would you want to do a blues album" :confused: He was serious too !

He continued to press the point throughout the interview. There was no reference to the songs on the album, the composers of said songs, the origins and vintage of the songs, the backing musicians and guest artists on the album. Goodness me, I have never had much regard for the competence or otherwise of the BBC in matters relating to the various styles of American popular music, but this interview hit a real low.

jees you think that's bad , you should have seen Louise(i've had a music career )Rednapp on Something for the weekend trying to interview Jennnifer Hudson and Imelda May. Listen to the answer before you spout your next question, you air head!
    Forum Member
    Yes, that too would have been a legit question if he chooses to do one.

Torpedoed your own nonsense there really. Without realising it which is a bit sad......

Do you really believe what you wrote ?
    I have not torpedoed anything. The love of a particular type of music depends on whether a particular rhythm, combination of notes or style of lyrics "rings your bell"or makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand on end etc . It has nothing whatsoever to do with your own personal circumstances.
    Blues fans like blues music because it excites them, simple as that. It has nothing to do with whether they have suffered depression at all in their lives and incidentally nothing to do with their race.
    Marr's interview was inane nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really believe what you wrote ?
    I have not torpedoed anything. The love of a particular type of music depends on whether a particular rhythm, combination of notes or style of lyrics "rings your bell"or makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand on end etc . It has nothing whatsoever to do with your own personal circumstances.
    Blues fans like blues music because it excites them, simple as that. It has nothing to do with whether they have suffered depression at all in their lives and incidentally nothing to do with their race.
    Marr's interview was inane nonsense.

You funny. Keep digging.
    Forum Member
    You funny. Keep digging.

Oh well, in for a penny :D:D
    At the end of the interview we were not one jot more informed about the CD. Is that good journalism or not ?
    I think it was not.
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You funny. Keep digging.

You arse (funny word btw). Keep commenting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    You arse (funny word btw). Keep commenting.

Wow. Just WOW. Your sole contribution to the thread is to call someone a name. Classic.

Are your other postings of a similar high calibre?
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Saw him on Jules Holland. Obviously got too big for his boots and thinks he can turn his hand to anything now. Awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, in for a penny :D:D
    At the end of the interview we were not one jot more informed about the CD. Is that good journalism or not ?
    I think it was not.

As I said at the top, the website interview is longer so you never know, you might find that Marr acquitted himself more to your satisfaction there. Bottom line, Laurie himself admitted it was a question he had pondered ergo, it was not an inane question particularly given Laurie’s background as, if nothing else, a comedian!!
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love House, I wish he would stop with all this music business
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    If Laurie himself said it was a good question, isn't that case closed?

The comparison with country music doesn't really work. People don't ask genuine country singers if they lassoo steers or get involved with gunfights either, and the question Marr asked wasn't even slightly equivalent.

Marr didn't ask Laurie if he'd spent time mending levees or doing the same jobs as old bluesmen. He was talking about the emotional sentiments involved in singing the blues, not the lifestyle. One DOES associate many of the great blues singers as singing from an experience of genuine hardship. They mostly grew up poor and black in an era of segregation.

Laurie is a rich white man from a privileged background. He is well aware of this dichotomy himself, hence acknowledging the validity of the question.

Marr wasn't saying Laurie is incapable of singing the blues, he was just giving the man the chance to address a question that many viewers will be asking.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    Marr didn't ask Laurie if he'd spent time mending levees or doing the same jobs as old bluesmen. He was talking about the emotional sentiments involved in singing the blues, not the lifestyle. One DOES associate many of the great blues singers as singing from an experience of genuine hardship. They mostly grew up poor and black in an era of segregation.

Laurie is a rich white man from a privileged background. He is well aware of this dichotomy himself, hence acknowledging the validity of the question.

Marr wasn't saying Laurie is incapable of singing the blues, he was just giving the man the chance to address a question that many viewers will be asking.

^ And we have a winner! Lock the thread now..........