What kind of a format would you like to see this series?

Comments

• hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Week 5 was interesting last series.
    I just think th dance off is a good opportunity to redeem oneself.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will forever be grateful for it allowing Erin to survive long enough to create Erin Island but other than that I have no use for it.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Jerry was 56, had no potential at all, arguably had an attitude problem

Openly boasting in every forum possible that you are doing the minimal amount of training that is contractually required does not "arguably" make.
    Forum Member
    Johnny was 74, had real problems remembering the routines, had little potential for improvement, and was paired with an (at the time) temporary pro. Jerry was 56, had no potential at all, arguably had an attitude problem, and clearly wasn't pulling in the "big name" votes she was supposed to get. Neither of them would have been saved in the dance-off over anybody other than each other.

At the time of Victoria vs Michael, Michael had outscored her three out of the last four weeks, she'd been savaged by the judges two weeks in a row with Bruno openly saying that she couldn't dance at all, and she'd clearly mentally checked out. They weren't going to haul her through another week when she practically quit in the middle of her samba and never really came back.

Nicky vs Michael I would say was closest to a difficult decision, but Nicky was in the middle of a major underdog comeback story and Michael wasn't.

Obviously any dance-off theoretically "could go either way" if someone forgets the routine or falls over or whatever, but when has that ever happened? Nothing interesting ever happens in the dance-off. (Apart from when Erin's hair fell out)

Something else I'd like to add.

If they could only have won against each other then why did Bruno cast a vote in Jerry's favour in the dance-off against Michael? :confused:
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Bruno loves leggy old models and will occasionally vote for them for no reason. The rest of the panel aren't so generous.
    Forum Member
    You're argument is sailing a bit close to the wind now ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    the format works, Wembley allows more fans to see the show and also lets the Celebs an idea of what the tour is like. I think it adds a different tension. Yes Blackpool for finals week.
    The Dance off adds to the tension for the ordinary folk who follow the show unlike us lunatics who follow the spoilers thread and know the result ahead of time.
    And given the time the result comes through the sunday show allows the younger element of the audience to be up to see the "Result".
    Would agree to leave some of the more technical dances till later. The themed nights are good but why just Hollywood and Haloween. drop one of them and for example do a 40's night?
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce to introduce the couples at the start & then disappear until the following week.
  • WingiWingi Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No dance-off. Why do we want to see the BAD dances again? They should be showing us the good ones or an extra pro dance, IMO.

As little of Bruce as possible.

I don't mind a couple of themed weeks, but PLEASE give Halloween a rest this year.

All guest acts to sing original songs, no cover versions, and limit the number that are accompanied by 'rumba-esque' pro dances - there were too many of these last year. (Paloma Faith excepted!!!)
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wingi wrote: »
    No dance-off. Why do we want to see the BAD dances again? They should be showing us the good ones or an extra pro dance, IMO.

As little of Bruce as possible.

I don't mind a couple of themed weeks, but PLEASE give Halloween a rest this year.

All guest acts to sing original songs, no cover versions, and limit the number that are accompanied by 'rumba-esque' pro dances - there were too many of these last year. (Paloma Faith excepted!!!)

I suspect the dance off was in case of shock results like when Kimberley ended up in there in last year. On public vote alone, had she come dead last she would have been gone, against someone who wasn't as good a dancer. I can just imagine the outrage had that occurred. :D I don't like the dance off myself - too much manipulation involved.

As for my list,
    Ditch the themed weeks, or at least include some different ones from Halloween.
    Cut down on silly VTs
    Get rid of the dance off.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I still miss the opening part where the celebs walked down the stairs with their pro for their introduction to each show with the slow song that Dave Arch played. Now playing the SCD theme tune makes it manic as they all rush down. I also liked how the couples waited behind the curtain and were then called out onto the dance floor. These two things really gave the show a great formality of it being a dance competition.
  • marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any of the dances which allow lifts should only be performed near the end of the series, and not be reprised in the final.

Also, I'd love to see more of the Latin dances performed to proper Latin music. They sometimes make an attempt to find proper Paso/Tango music, but there are some great samba songs that never get used, and the cha cha cha is usually some random piece of upbeat pop music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh gosh, I forgot!
    Get rid of this random breaking of hold in ballroom and long introductions and bloomin' well get on with the dancing!
    The only dance that lifts belong in is the American Smooth and the showdance (+ Charleston which seems to be here to stay). The lifts that seem to be appearing in salsa should be banned, and the judges should all award a strict point penalty for obvious, intentional lifts in any of the 10 official ballroom and latin dances. I think there could be room for leniency in questionable moves where inexperience and lack of limb control leads to a foot leaving the floor (where the move is recognised and acceptable in normal competition circumstances).
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stick to 'proper' dances and not to go down the dWTS road which has really killed off viewers, drop the stupid props and VT's dont change a successful formula - such a shame the show is UK light on professionals:cry:
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want the judges to put more emphasis on marking skill and the performance rather than the entertainment factor. i think we as the audience can decide whether a Widdy or Harry type was entertaining or not but the judges should mark on whether actual steps, body movements and characteristics of the dance have been correctly performed (as not all of the audience will be able to mark these aspects properly if they have no actual dance knowledge, but every audience member will be qualified to mark on entertainment as that is a self opinion rather than a set criteria like skills are). Of course the judges can mark on emotional aspects and not just the clinical (as you need both) but as they are meant to be technicians of dance themselves, I expect them to want those things done as base, as some of the entertainment elements might not even resemble what we understand to be of the resemble the orig dance (as entertainment is anything). I admit, I am a dance snob. If there is no recognisable technique and just dancing any old jig then what is the point of trying to learn specific types of dances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will forever be grateful for it allowing Erin to survive long enough to create Erin Island but other than that I have no use for it.

Quite a lot of the Internet thought of you at that moment. :D
    Forum Member
    Turns out there are going to be 13 weeks this year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I would loose Holywood week but make it a themed week maybe 40's. No eliminations week 1, Keep the dance format the same but get the core dances out of the way before the Charlestone and Argentine Tango come in and keep fusion week.
  • Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electrecute the dance floor, judges zap bad dancing
    An outsider or Craig Choreograph the show dance so it is not pants
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer them to do Bonfire week over the god awful Halloween week. I liked the fusions so they can stay.
    Forum Member
    How would bonfire week work??
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ditch theme nights completely

keep the fusion dance week

keep AT until the semi final

drop Charleston and salsa

PLEASE can we have training VT's not those god damn awful comedy things - who likes them? no-one - ditch them!

each couple to dance 1 ballroom and 1 latin before an elinimation
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member

There are plenty of songs about fire/fireworks/explosions/bangs/burning to dance to.... that's how it'd work.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They tie the losing contestant to a catherine wheel.

Seriously, what do you mean how would it work? :confused: The same way Hollywood/Halloween week work, there's a theme and all the song used adhere to the theme.
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Keep fusion - loved the idea in the end.

Get rid of Salsa. Keep Charleston.

Drop dance-off. :mad: