Options

30 years ago today the wreck of the Titanic was discovered

TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
Forum Member
✭✭
Over 70 years after that fateful April night which would go down as one of the most famous historical events of the 20th century.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/09/01/today-in-history-wreck-of-the-titanic-found/21229612/

The story of the discovery of the wreck is almost as interesting as the sinking itself. There is a bit about it here for anyone interested.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2015271,00.html

Comments

• Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wished that they could bring it back to the surface and reconstruct it. I know some people say its a grave but they brought back that Costa concord that sank in Italy and they are bringing bits of that Malaysia flight back to the surface.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wished that they could bring it back to the surface and reconstruct it. I know some people say its a grave but they brought back that Costa concord that sank in Italy and they are bringing bits of that Malaysia flight back to the surface.

It would be amazing if they could, not least from an engineering stance. Sadly though it will never be possible due to the state of the wreck. In a few decades from now she will probably be nothing more than a pile of rust.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating stuff. I remember watching the documentary where the Titanic just appears in the darkness.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Titanic interests you i recommend you somehow watch the Titanic in 3D. Was on the Sky 3D channel a while back, still got it on my planner where itll stay. Was fantastic, the sort of thing I got a 3D Tv for. Also watched a programme yesterday on Nat Geo Channel where they used CGI to drain the Atlantic and have a 360o look at the wreck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    Fascinating stuff. I remember watching the documentary where the Titanic just appears in the darkness.

An interesting fact about the discovery of the wreck is that until then it was generally assumed the Titanic sunk intact. When it was finally found it was revealed that it was in two pieces which was consistent with some of the eyewitness accounts from the sinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    If the Titanic interests you i recommend you somehow watch the Titanic in 3D. Was on the Sky 3D channel a while back, still got it on my planner where itll stay. Was fantastic, the sort of thing I got a 3D Tv for. Also watched a programme yesterday on Nat Geo Channel where they used CGI to drain the Atlantic and have a 360o look at the wreck

I don't have a 3D TV. :D

But I like the sound of that documentary. I think I saw something like that online once. :)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other two use current engineering technology so they allow us to determine cause and implement solutions in future projects. Although there are aspects of the Titanic's sinking that we're not sure about it's highly unlikely that the missing details could cause us to revise current ship design or manufacturing techniques. We also still have her blueprints and lots of pictures of her and her sister ships so it's not like archaeologists would learn anything new about her construction.

All in all she's just one of thousands of ship wrecks and best left on the seabed to rot in peace I think.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did they even find it?
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    How did they even find it?

The US Navy funded Dr Ballard's expedition to investigate the wrecks of two of their sunken nuclear submarines, Thresher and Scorpion, when that was done he was allowed to go off and find Titanic. The co-ordinates they had for the sinking were a bit off but because the ship split in two it left a huge trail of debris - they found one of the boilers and then followed the trail all the way to the wreck.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be amazing if they could, not least from an engineering stance. Sadly though it will never be possible due to the state of the wreck. In a few decades from now she will probably be nothing more than a pile of rust.
    She is pretty much that now.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US Navy funded Dr Ballard's expedition to investigate the wrecks of two of their sunken nuclear submarines, Thresher and Scorpion, when that was done he was allowed to go off and find Titanic. The co-ordinates they had for the sinking were a bit off but because the ship split in two it left a huge trail of debris - they found one of the boilers and then followed the trail all the way to the wreck.
    My understanding is Dr Ballard was asleep when the first bits of wreckage was found and had to be woken.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame for those who died never seeing it be discovered at the bottom of th ocean. I've read somewhere that up until that point, it was generally accepted to have gone down in one, simply because the highest ranking surviving officer said it did, over countless survivors who said it split in two.
  • Options
    DrPLDrPL Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I've been researching this for aspect of the story for over 20 years now and believe me the back story is a lot murkier than the benign tale we all know and love. I've written my findings up here

Basically; why did Ballard try to get his "agent" to stifle reporting of the expedition before it occurred? How was Ballard able to illegally mingle private (Woods Hole) and public (US Navy) money to fund the expedition? How did Ballard gain privately from the expedition (eg running a company that sold duplicates of the technology used during the search)? Why did Ballard use his clout to not only scupper other expeditions to use the wreck and steal their personnel and data, but also to get classified US Navy data? Why did Ballard try to get at least two museums to accept artefacts he was planning to salvage - and when he has turned down, he went 100% anti salvage?

And the most important question - was Ballard and his team even the first to find the wreck? Or was it another team in 1975...or even earlier? We shall know when classified documents finally get released in 2033 (I know, I tried to get them under a FOIA request and was turned down!)
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I have always been fascinated with everything about the Titanic.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    Me too. I've wiled away more hours than I care to think about on Encyclopedua Titanica reading about the survivors and those who weren't so lucky.

I have to say, I find the stories about the handful of 1st class women/children who perished to be the most interesting, since the odds of survival really were in their favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    She is pretty much that now.

That's true, but at this stage she is still recognisable as a shipwreck. One day though her hull will collapse onto the ocean floor and all that will be left is essentially a debris field.
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    It's a shame for those who died never seeing it be discovered at the bottom of th ocean. I've read somewhere that up until that point, it was generally accepted to have gone down in one, simply because the highest ranking surviving officer said it did, over countless survivors who said it split in two.

There were conflicting eyewitness accounts at the time about whether or not she had split in two. While some survivors stated this was indeed the case, others insisted otherwise. The latter group were generally believed over the former, as reflected in films such as A Night To Remember. Hence it came as a bit of a surprise when the wreck was eventually discovered that she was lying in two main pieces.
    DrPL wrote: »
    I've been researching this for aspect of the story for over 20 years now and believe me the back story is a lot murkier than the benign tale we all know and love. I've written my findings up here

Basically; why did Ballard try to get his "agent" to stifle reporting of the expedition before it occurred? How was Ballard able to illegally mingle private (Woods Hole) and public (US Navy) money to fund the expedition? How did Ballard gain privately from the expedition (eg running a company that sold duplicates of the technology used during the search)? Why did Ballard use his clout to not only scupper other expeditions to use the wreck and steal their personnel and data, but also to get classified US Navy data? Why did Ballard try to get at least two museums to accept artefacts he was planning to salvage - and when he has turned down, he went 100% anti salvage?

And the most important question - was Ballard and his team even the first to find the wreck? Or was it another team in 1975...or even earlier? We shall know when classified documents finally get released in 2033 (I know, I tried to get them under a FOIA request and was turned down!)

This is all news to me.
    housegirl wrote: »

Same. Well, shipwrecks in general really, but the Titanic more so because of all the myths and legends around the sinking. Something about the whole tale is just so bittersweet.
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Me too. I've wiled away more hours than I care to think about on Encyclopedua Titanica reading about the survivors and those who weren't so lucky.

I have to say, I find the stories about the handful of 1st class women/children who perished to be the most interesting, since the odds of survival really were in their favour.

Yes, I could spend hours on that site. :o
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DrPL wrote: »

What a bloody good read! Sadly i should be asleep as i have to work in the morning >:(
  • Options
    Kevin234Kevin234 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    My grandad saw the titanic!
    Whhen he was a little kid he was helping HIS grandad checking out some sheep (Mourne Mts). They watched titanic sail out of Belfast.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Kevin234 wrote: »
    My grandad saw the titanic!
    Whhen he was a little kid he was helping HIS grandad checking out some sheep (Mourne Mts). They watched titanic sail out of Belfast.

Awesome. I expect it was when the ship was doing its sea trials before heading to Southampton.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngsyters today say "have you seen that film about that ship Titanic which sunk"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    youngsyters today say "have you seen that film about that ship Titanic which sunk"

There were some youngsters around the time of the 100th anniversary of the sinking who were surprised to learn the Titanic actually existed. They were under the impression it was made up for the James Cameron film.