Options

> Heroes >< BBC2 Pace >< NO SPOILERS <

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    does tomorrows episode get repeated at any point?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does tomorrows episode get repeated at any point?
    Yes. www.radiotimes.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Er, I can see there's lots of discussion about tonight's episode going on here.... *gulp*

If anyone missed it, or wants a refresher, etc., there's a detailed recap here (100% spoiler-free): http://www.tellysandwich.co.uk/heroes-nothingtohide-1.php

It's surprising me how many UK viewers are struggling to like the pace at which this show is unfolding. I have my own problems with it, but loads of people I speak with are vehemently anti-Heroes because of the seemingly leisurely way in which it's all unfolding.

Granted, there are pacing problems - Hiro and Ando already seem to have got stuck in making a series of cameo appearances in other characters' storylines.

But I still think this show is worth it. Every episode, no matter how otherwise slowly the underlying arc moves along, there's something worth seeing and thinking about. And as a sci-fi fan I always feel pretty starved by network TV.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Eric Blair wrote: »
    It's surprising me how many UK viewers are struggling to like the pace at which this show is unfolding. I have my own problems with it, but loads of people I speak with are vehemently anti-Heroes because of the seemingly leisurely way in which it's all unfolding.

I'm not surprised at all that many UK viewers are don't like the pace. You just had episode 7, I believe? So, basically, if Heroes were a UK show, last week (episode 6) would have been the season (what you call "series") finale, and that would be it for a year.

At a certain point you have to face a significant fact: Americans and Brits are just conditioned to watch TV differently. With 22 to 25-episode seasons the norm in the US, Americans get into a show expecting it to just be warming up at a point at which Brits expect everything to be wrapped up, done, finished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all that many UK viewers are don't like the pace. You just had episode 7, I believe? So, basically, if Heroes were a UK show, last week (episode 6) would have been the season (what you call "series") finale, and that would be it for a year.

At a certain point you have to face a significant fact: Americans and Brits are just conditioned to watch TV differently. With 22 to 25-episode seasons the norm in the US, Americans get into a show expecting it to just be warming up at a point at which Brits expect everything to be wrapped up, done, finished.

UK viewers have no trouble whatsoever keeping pace with shows like 24 and Lost. I'm an avid viewer of US shows at their original pace (aaah, the magic of the internet) and Heroes just is poorly-paced at times.

In particular (mildly spoilery):
    The upcoming episodes where Hiro decides that he needs a particular sword are among the absolute worst for this. I followed the show on US forums and there were loads of complaints from viewers that the pacing had suddenly gone all cock-eyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eric Blair wrote: »
    UK viewers have no trouble whatsoever keeping pace with shows like 24 and Lost. I'm an avid viewer of US shows at their original pace (aaah, the magic of the internet) and Heroes just is poorly-paced at times.

In particular (mildly spoilery):
    The upcoming episodes where Hiro decides that he needs a particular sword are among the absolute worst for this. I followed the show on US forums and there were loads of complaints from viewers that the pacing had suddenly gone all cock-eyed.

Are you kidding? I read tons of complaints at DS about Lost's slow pace, and posts from people who quit watching long ago because they didn't get the answers they demanded quickly enough. Obviously there are many Brits who love Lost, just as there are many who love Heroes. But we're talking about the OTHER Brits now, perhaps the people who, unlike you, don't watch many American series.

The stuff with Hiro you complain about was not a problem with the whole show, because other characters' stories were being emphasized at the time. The writers simply didn't do a good job of putting Hiro's story momentarily in the background, and what happened with Hiro in the middle episodes never did make sense to me. I call that more of a plot hole (of which Heroes had its share) than a pacing problem. Anyway, Brit viewers aren't even up to that point, so it isn't really relevent to why some UK people are burnt out by episode 7.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heroes #7: Control

New BBC pace comic with Officer Matt learning how to use his powers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »

i would just like to point out that most full length british series are 12/13 episodes long not 6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abfab55 wrote: »
    i would just like to point out that most full length british series are 12/13 episodes long not 6

Then how many "full length" series do you have relative to the series that are shorter? I ask because it seems to me that most of the UK series that air in North America are about six to eight episodes per season (for instance, Hustle, Jekyll, Life On Mars, Hotel Babylon, and Swinging -- to cite the last five UK series I have watched on Canadian TV that aren't Doctor Who).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Didn't Matt collapse in the convenience store with a gun in his hand last week? Did he mysteriously disappear again or are we to assume he got up and everything was OK?
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Skeptic wrote: »
    Didn't Matt collapse in the convenience store with a gun in his hand last week? Did he mysteriously disappear again or are we to assume he got up and everything was OK?

I must say, that bugged me as well, I'm thinking "Ok, so what happened in the interim??"

And also, I'm dying to know what happened to him when he was taken by Mr Bennet and the mysterious guy. Why did they take him? Was it to strip him of his special power of mind reading, and if so, did they fail because he still seems to have that power?

(mind you, I haven't watched this week's episode yet so apologies if things have developed I'm not yet aware of)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    And also, I'm dying to know what happened to him when he was taken by Mr Bennet and the mysterious guy. Why did they take him? Was it to strip him of his special power of mind reading, and if so, did they fail because he still seems to have that power?

Well as far as we know up to now is that Mr Bennet and the Haitian have been taking a fair few of the characters with powers, they took Matt, Ted, Nathan, and wanted to take Niki/Jessica (but could only take one).

They didnt seem to want to remove there powers and the only character we have seen get an examination from them was Matt, and they seemed more interested in doing a physical to him.

Its more fun to speculate about what is happening than being told outright, when I was on the 9th wonders forum during the run on NBC it was fun to speculate what was happening and what certain things meant rather than being given a direct answer straight away.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's with Mr Bennet's broken HRG's?? They were cracked when he was 'sacking the Quarterback' with the 'Go Deep' Haitian....then saw them again when he was talking to Eden (Summer from OC lookalike)...Oooh I'll just have to wait...told my niece that at 12, she's far too young to watch Heroes.....leave something for the adults...please.

Sorry if this has been covered...I was sure I was posting in a Heroes thread with only 4 pages...that's as much as my eyes will take right now! I'm no hero!
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Niki's kids power is that he can make phones work - told you he had a power of some sort. ;)

Some great special effects when Hiro paused time.

Favourite storyline at the moment is with Matt and the Petrelli family. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »
    Isn't the fact that people have a favourite storyline an indication that Heroes is just a glorified soap? Can you imagine someone saying that they had a favourite storyline in, say, Bleak House or The State Within?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »
    So Niki's kids power is that he can make phones work - told you he had a power of some sort. ;)

Some great special effects when Hiro paused time.

I'm a fan of Matt - his wife is also fit -, him and Audrey are more involved directly involved with the investigation as to who Sylar is, but we also have Mohinder who is also drawn into this because of his father.

I was never a fan of the Petrelli's, I always wanted to smack emo boy round the head with a frozen fish to knock some comonsense into him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    jorrai wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Matt - his wife is also fit -, .

Is it just me or does anyone else think Matt's wife could do with a good wash?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Isn't the fact that people have a favourite storyline an indication that Heroes is just a glorified soap? Can you imagine someone saying that they had a favourite storyline in, say, Bleak House or The State Within?

No. all dramas have several storylines
    shakesphere had several sub plots going at the same time in most of his plays.
    Doctor who and Torchwood diseminate the different characters and give some background info to give dimension to those parts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Please confirm for me, I have counted up the remaining episodes and by my count we should be seeing the season finale on 19th December on BBC2 and 12th on BBC3. I presume that we would just have a few weeks off Heroes over the Christmas until January then Season 2 would start airing? Or are they going to do what C4 did with Lost and not bother showing it till it is close to finishing in US or already finished?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is Hiro? That is where i'm up to :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    brian2780 wrote: »
    Please confirm for me, I have counted up the remaining episodes and by my count we should be seeing the season finale on 19th December on BBC2 and 12th on BBC3. I presume that we would just have a few weeks off Heroes over the Christmas until January then Season 2 would start airing? Or are they going to do what C4 did with Lost and not bother showing it till it is close to finishing in US or already finished?

I would surprised if BBC2 only rested Heroes for a few weeks. Even though there's loads of people on forums like these wanting to see the latest US imports ASAP, there are far more people who would prefer not to see Heroes on prime-time BBC2 for the best part of a whole year.

My guess is that they'll probably wait until March at the earliest to run season 2, by which time the season in the US will indeed be coming to a close. It's not the fault of the BBC, though. They aired season 1 as early as they could considering they had to wait for Sci-Fi to finish with it. If they keep hold of the rights for season 3 onwards, I'm sure they'll catch up eventually. Otherwise, Sky won't keep their customers waiting long should they continue their raid on the third seasons of popular US series.
  • Options
    ~V~~V~ Posts: 17,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skeptic wrote: »
    I would surprised if BBC2 only rested Heroes for a few weeks. Even though there's loads of people on forums like these wanting to see the latest US imports ASAP, there are far more people who would prefer not to see Heroes on prime-time BBC2 for the best part of a whole year.

Who would these people be? Surely any sane person, once 'into' a series, wants to see it unfold before they see spoilers all over the shop?

Or maybe you are talking about the accountants at the BBC?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,174
    Forum Member
    How many episodes are there meant to be in Heroes: Origins? Maybe if that's a short series, they could run that before showing Season 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many episodes are there meant to be in Heroes: Origins? Maybe if that's a short series, they could run that before showing Season 2?

Heroes: Origins is going to be 6 seperate stories each with a main character, after all 6 have been shown they are doing a public vote on their website to select one of the 6 characters to become a series regular for season 3.
  • Options
    SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden and Jack on T4 @ 13:50 and on Chanelle 4 + 1 @ 14:50 :)

Hayden has an album coming out!

Jack... 'HRG' was on DYnasty... I though he looked familar!

Regards :)