Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    xsalsafanxxsalsafanx Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    I'm surprised this was Raonic's first top 10 win. The few times I've seen him play I've always been impressed. It's a shame it just had to be Murray.

It's not his first top 10 win - he also beat Verdasco and Tipsarevic when they were ranked #9. With his game I don't think it'll be too long before he gets more top 10 wins.

I'm not too surprised Andy lost - he really struggles against big hitters on clay and found it so difficult to return Raonic's serve, amazing how hard he hits it! Two QFs so far isn't a bad result though.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    There has been some great ladies tennis today.
    Good match between Stosur and Sharapova. Well it would be to watch if it wasn't for some dodgy German camerawork.

The camerawork is very annoying. They are trying to be too artsy but at the expense of getting to actually see what's happening. The one thing I like about it is seeing the different angles of the shots, but I think they should only show that perspective during a replay so we get both and we don't miss anything during the actual point. Also I'd find it very distracting if I were them having this massive screen with their Strong is Beautiful photos on it facing them.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerber is playing the game of her life at the moment and Caro looks very average. She has no weapons and seems to be going downhill at the moment.
    Woz's woes continue, more ranking points lost. Great for Kerber though, she'll be a top ten player very soon. Also fantastic performance from Mona Barthel today. She'll obviously hit the top 20 very soon so it'll be interesting to see where she will go from there. Must be good being a German tennis fan right now!

Caro is still #6 in the Race, which was better than expected, but she could drop out of the top 10 this year...
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Caro is still #6 in the Race, which was better than expected, but she could drop out of the top 10 this year...

Where do you think she will stabilise though? I think No.6/7/8 is about where she belongs.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aga continues her 2012 run of beating everyone except Vika.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope Sharapova wins tomorrow, she needs it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you think she will stabilise though? I think No.6/7/8 is about where she belongs.

Hard to say. Depends on her confidence I think. I think you are more or less right, but if she doesnt believe in herself, and I dont think she does at the moment, she could soon go further down as well. (ie 12-13)...
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the final. David gave it everything, the man just doesn't know when to give up, against any other player he would won have today. But Rafa on clay,at times is unbeleivable! Vamous Rafa!
  • Options
    Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Rafa get another title under his belt, but I do feel sorry for Ferrer!

Just turned on the Stuttgart final and I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see Maria gave Vika a breadstick in the first set. I really hope she goes on to win, but I've heard the commentators mention someone picking up an injury - anyone know what happened?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    Loved the final. David gave it everything, the man just doesn't know when to give up, against any other player he would won have today. But Rafa on clay,at times is unbeleivable! Vamous Rafa!

:eek: Absolutely stunning wasn't it? I really felt for Ferrer. One blink and Rafa snatched it. I dont see what he could possibly do to beat Rafa. He gave it his all today

Which is not to say that I'm delighted that once again Rafa is King and, as Barry Cowan in full geek mode would have it "has never lost a match in April"

:D Who but our Bazza would ever reel off a stat like that? These days it's endearing, it used to irritate the hell out of me! :p
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suzy07 wrote: »
    Nice to see Rafa get another title under his belt, but I do feel sorry for Ferrer!

Just turned on the Stuttgart final and I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see Maria gave Vika a breadstick in the first set. I really hope she goes on to win, but I've heard the commentators mention someone picking up an injury - anyone know what happened?

Vika had an injured wrist treated but she usually ups her game after these injury time outs. Come on Maria.
    Anna Rad was mad with her when she did it in a match they were playing.
  • Options
    Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vika had an injured wrist treated but she usually ups her game after these injury time outs. Come on Maria.
    Anna Rad was mad with her when she did it in a match they were playing.

Ah ok, thanks.

Maria just broke in the second so fingers crossed!
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maria has won. Really pleased.
  • Options
    AnneUKAnneUK Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was Spanish clay court tennis at its best wasn't it! What an awesome match. As others have said, David gave it everything and he came thisclose but Rafa had the confidence of never having lost to him on clay. Let's hope that this is all part of Rafa's resurgence and that if he has to face a rejuvenated Nole on clay in the next month or so, he'll feel equally confident.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching David - he's one of my favourite players. He gave Rafa a really hard time and you knew he would because he never gives in.

I really would love for him to win a big clay title because he is more than good enough and I admire and like him so much as a player.

Having said all that I am a Rafa fan through and through and am absolutely delighted he won, He'll know he's been in a battle though that's for sure!

It was a real clay court battle with two players who really know how to play on the dirt. Great stuff all round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great final today. So happy Rafa won again but after the fight David gave him, i actually wouldnt have minded if he had lost to him. Felt so sorry for David at the end, he tried everything. He probably feels time is running out for him to win titles.

Good two weeks for Rafa :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jacqui.b wrote: »
    great final today. So happy Rafa won again but after the fight David gave him, i actually wouldnt have minded if he had lost to him. Felt so sorry for David at the end, he tried everything. He probably feels time is running out for him to win titles.

Good two weeks for Rafa :D

Apparently he has said that Barca is one of the titles he really wants to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Apparently he has said that Barca is one of the titles he really wants to win.

hope he can manage it one day. :)
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the quarter final's in Barcelona on Friday. We had pretty good seats right in line with the net. I had hoped for a top performance from Murray but it wasn't to be. Andy not at his best and Raonic played well.

My missus isn't really a tennis fan but she enjoyed Lopez - Ferrer although i'm not sure if she even knew who won in the end. :rolleyes:

It was the first time i've seen Nadal playing live, he looks superhuman on the telly but seeing some of his shots when your actually there is breathtaking. I felt a bit sorry for Janko as he played well and would probably have given any of the other remaining players in the draw a very tough game.

We didn't stay for the last match as time was getting on although we did see a bit of the doubles during the day as well, watched a set of the match with the Polish guys who I noticed went on to win the tournament.

Overall it was a great day, got plenty of good pics as well. Hopefully we'll go back again next year. :)
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharapova has hit her best form since 08 i think.
    8 aces
    3 df
    31 winners
    13 ue

Her serve is a weapon again. She beat the number 1, 3 & 5 all current holders of grandslams this week. Vika was hit of the court today. (The injury) Vika acts like a drama queen when she is getting beat.

Vika/Masha Bumpin' Shoulders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfc6z5M80u8&feature=player_embedded

Loved this. :D Nice to see a new sports rivalry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the quarter final's in Barcelona on Friday. We had pretty good seats right in line with the net. I had hoped for a top performance from Murray but it wasn't to be. Andy not at his best and Raonic played well.

My missus isn't really a tennis fan but she enjoyed Lopez - Ferrer although i'm not sure if she even knew who won in the end. :rolleyes:

It was the first time i've seen Nadal playing live, he looks superhuman on the telly but seeing some of his shots when your actually there is breathtaking. I felt a bit sorry for Janko as he played well and would probably have given any of the other remaining players in the draw a very tough game.

We didn't stay for the last match as time was getting on although we did see a bit of the doubles during the day as well, watched a set of the match with the Polish guys who I noticed went on to win the tournament.

Overall it was a great day, got plenty of good pics as well. Hopefully we'll go back again next year. :)

:) Thanks for that. It's always good to hear first hand reports. Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe you converted your wife a little bit? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Maria win this! Very good title for her, esp wins over Stosur and Kvitova should boost her confidence. She is even a contender at the FO now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, seriously bad news for Andrea Petkovic. Scans have confirmed she's torn ligaments in her right ankle and will be out for the next three months. By that time she will have missed most of 2012, is that too long to possibly get back to where she was?

Been away for the weekend, so just seen this.

That is horrible for her, she was just getting into her stride in 2011, so to miss basically the whole of 2012 will be torrid.

It is like Lisicki all over again for German tennis! I hope she can recover back to the top 10 in 2013 but nothing is for certain,

Wozniacki is a top 15 player, she doesn't have the weapons in her game to relaly challenge for the big titles, and has been lucky that in the last two years no one has really played with the consistency that she had, now that Vika, Aga and a few others have got there games together, she will settle back further down in the rankings.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lucy mane wrote: »
    Sharapova has hit her best form since 08 i think.
    8 aces
    3 df
    31 winners
    13 ue

Her serve is a weapon again. She beat the number 1, 3 & 5 all current holders of grandslams this week. Vika was hit of the court today. (The injury) Vika acts like a drama queen when she is getting beat.

Vika/Masha Bumpin' Shoulders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfc6z5M80u8&feature=player_embedded

Loved this. :D Nice to see a new sports rivalry.

lol, I missed the match, so never saw this. :D Maria should have kept her shoulders rigid. ;)

So happy Maria won.
This discussion has been closed.