Alan Partridge: Welcome To The Places Of My Life - Sky Atlantic

13»

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is there any particular reason Sky have put this on Atlantic or are there being just very mischievous:D
    Presumably the bosses at the Sky Atlantic channel commisioned it and not the bosses of Sky One etc.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any particular reason Sky have put this on Atlantic or are there being just very mischievous:D

The same as if the BBC commissioned it, it would be on BBC Two and not BBC One.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to catch some of it on Youtube last night before it was taken down. My favourite part was Alan imagining Hitler making a speech from the balcony of Norwich City Council Hall : you could see he was secretly full of admiration for the Fuhrer, while trying to pretend he was repelled by him :D
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very good, and having watched it again I would agree that some of the jokes are well hidden and are clearer with a second viewing.

Like the bit with the hospital, not sure if I was just being slow :o but although I originally noticed the bit where he gets a letter to visit the hospital (clap clinic?:D) but I didn't originally twig that is the reason he gets stressed after speaking to Lynn on the test drive because they've bought his appointment forward. And then he's obviously been given an all clear which he explains why he's suddenly hyper and buying everyone choc ices!

I also like the way the salesman is blatently about to sell him the old model Range Rover when he starts talking about the new model demonstrator coming in to his boss. And the sale is a 'home run' with 'plenty of money'....Very subtle

The swimming pool scene with the bad editing had me in stitches!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    i don't mean this in an elitist way but......seriously? This was utter vintage Partridge in just about every way - except presented in a different light as it was meant as a documentary so the setups etc had to be different. As far as dialogue and physical actions it was the same character with the same frame of logic and sociopathic tendencies with a few occasions of losing it.

Yeah, seriously. It just didn't hit the mark for me and I didn't find it funny.
  • Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered if introducing the 'What If God Was One Of Us?' track as by Aimee Mann when it's a Joan Osborne song was a deliberate 'Partridge gets it wrong' joke or unintentional...

..It is intentionally wrong trust me, just like Partridge in the past talking about a Mike Oldfield album ''Hergest Ridge'' being about a hill in Norfolk when it is actually in Herefordshire.
  • Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, seriously. It just didn't hit the mark for me and I didn't find it funny.

.Then you were probably never an Alan fan from the start because there is nothing really to separate this Partridge from the Partridge of the 90s other than the studio audience laughs and the other recurring characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Charles II wrote: »
    .Then you were probably never an Alan fan from the start because there is nothing really to separate this Partridge from the Partridge of the 90s other than the studio audience laughs and the other recurring characters.

Wait a second, just because I didn't like this you have concluded that I probably was never a fan before:rolleyes:

Wow, judgmental much:confused: For what it's worth I loved 90s Partridge.

In my opinion the writing wasn't good enough on this and despite my previous love of the character, I didn't laugh once.
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on Sky1 tomorrow at 10pm for anyone without Atlantic.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..It is intentionally wrong trust me, just like Partridge in the past talking about a Mike Oldfield album ''Hergest Ridge'' being about a hill in Norfolk when it is actually in Herefordshire.

Or thinking that 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday' was about a hard day out with the kids.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Or thinking that 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday' was about a hard day out with the kids.

'Kids are acting up in the garden, you've got to mow the lawn, and you think to yourself 'Sunday, Bloody Sunday!' :D
  • Miss_MaladroitMiss_Maladroit Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Like the bit with the hospital, not sure if I was just being slow :o but although I originally noticed the bit where he gets a letter to visit the hospital (clap clinic?:D) but I didn't originally twig that is the reason he gets stressed after speaking to Lynn on the test drive because they've bought his appointment forward. And then he's obviously been given an all clear which he explains why he's suddenly hyper and buying everyone choc ices!

I noticed that! I thought back to Series 2 where he was talking about male cancer with his builder and thought maybe he'd had a scare of his own, and he had indeed been given the all-clear :)

I thought it was an excellent first episode, it was a little slow in parts but to be fair my incessant giggling carried me through. The badly-edited swimming scene was also amazing, the other half and I were crying by that point :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Or criticising Joni Mitchell for the line in Big Yellow Taxi

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Partridge then said it was a good idea as Heaven probably needed a lot more parking
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Or criticising Joni Mitchell for the line in Big Yellow Taxi

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Partridge then said it was a good idea as Heaven probably needed a lot more parking

"Paved paradise and put up a parking lot, a move that would have infact allieviated congestion in Norwich city centre but not mentioned by Joni Mitchell as it probably doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of society..."

Not sure if I had it word for word right but it's "in the right ball park" here's an extra thick slice...of Thin Lizzy...:D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    "Paved paradise and put up a parking lot, a move that would have infact allieviated congestion in Norwich city centre but not mentioned by Joni Mitchell as it probably doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of society..."

Not sure if I had it word for word right but it's "in the right ball park" here's an extra thick slice...of Thin Lizzy...:D

It's a lot closer than I got it :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the best bit was when alan pretended to know about cars lmao

or the market stall comebacks ahah