Options

Thelma's Gypsy Girls - Channel 4 9pm tonight.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    What are the girls mothers doing all day if the girls are doing all the cleaning, cooking and childcare?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I did notice was the messages to Thelma on Facebook, to say these girls do not have good education, the messages were free of text speak, written well and even punctuated.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump for tonight..Anyone else watching?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Tax? What's tax?:D Shocker:rolleyes:
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not surprised to see they don't know what tax & insurance is :confused:
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god for +1, will watch it at 10pm :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this now. Can't believe the way the one girl behaved!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And we're back!
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't make out what she was up to...:confused:
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally!

Thelma is by far very passionate about what she is doing, trying to give these girls a chance and they take it and treat it badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I couldn't make out what she was up to...:confused:

The girl who was behaving like a child? I was really disgusted by her attitude. There were some traveller girls in my school and that's how they behaved.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving how they still blank out all the male faces.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmmm Margaret :D

Its Jodie Marsh :p
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admire Thelma's reasons for doing what she is doing, but at the moment I think she's wasting her time and money.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's the problem with filming their feet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    what's the problem with filming their feet?

I was wondering that :p

Looks like it all kicks off next week :D
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sisters are like just like Brigite (sp) felt really sorry for her.
    She looked so downtrodden and outcast I think because she had education and reserve.

Thought the tax question was unfair and for the cameras to be honest.
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    I was wondering that :p

Looks like it all kicks off next week :D

I think it was always going too.
    Glowbot wrote: »
    My sisters are like just like Brigite (sp) felt really sorry for her.
    She looked so downtrodden and outcast I think because she had education and reserve.

Thought the tax question was unfair and for the cameras to be honest.

Why ? I'm sure it's not a surprise to HMRC that travellers don't know anything about tax or NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    37 Years wrote: »
    I think it was always going too.

Why ? I'm sure it's not a surprise to HMRC that travellers don't know anything about tax or NI.

They are 16 year old girls, what the hell do they care about tax. And I know what tax is and I am traveller.

That part was a total set up. Especially coming from Thelma tax dodger.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are 16 year old girls, what the hell do they care about tax. And I know what tax is and I am traveller.

That part was a total set up. Especially coming from Thelma tax dodger.

I think Thelma's thing was benefit fraud but I see where you're coming from.:)
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'travellers' have yet again failed to do themselves any favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think Thelma's thing was benefit fraud but I see where you're coming from.:)

Oh yeah, and thanks. It just irks me. She pretends to be on the side of the girls but then asks them if they 'know what tax is' so the audience can have a rage at travellers.

Brigite stated she will be using it to save for a car, and that she had been bullied by the kids for being gypsy, the country people did themselves no favours either showing their arses.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, and thanks. It just irks me. She pretends to be on the side of the girls but then asks them if they 'know what tax is' so the audience can have a rage at travellers. They are just teenage girls who haven't done much school and never worked, so why would they know, I am sure some of them would but never showed that.

Then the other thing:
    Trav girl: So this goes in to my bank account yes?
    TM: no it goes in to your hand as cash
    Trav girl: cash in hand?
    TM: no that's something else.:rolleyes:

I just found that leading and manipulative. I wonder how many they had to ask to edit that answer in.

Brigite stated she will be using it to save for a car. I think we are being manipulated to feel sorry for her, Thelma was outwardly cruel about her too.

I saw it a different way, that Thelma was more than on the side of the girls, that she was trying to make sure they understood that there would be deductions from their wage and the reasons why. I work with teenagers of this age and many of them (grudgingly, usually!) have to get part-time jobs to earn some extra money, and they don't understand about tax and deductions either, but you can put money on one of them (or more!) 'kicking off' about being 'swindled' or 'done out of what's mine' because they don't realise they don't always get the headline rate in their pay packet.

I thought it was a sensible move on Thelma's part to head off any pay day trouble from the start by asking if they understood that the headline wage wasn't necessarily what they'd find in their pay packet on pay day (although, luckily, they weren't encouraged to open their envelopes there and then so didn't have the "she's got more than me" situation thank goodness). I didn't see it as being a 'set up' or vindictive towards the traveller girls in particular.

If anything, Thelma's the one person who's most on their side in the work place, giving them a chance to learn some skills. But, as another poster has said, unfortunately the girls haven't done themselves any favours in their interpretation of what is 'acceptable behaviour (and Shannon's mum was no better). But, if the tax and NI question was a 'set up' I doubt very much it was Thelma's idea, or done for the reasons you imply (she's never pretended she's an angel and is honest about her benefit fraud past) and at the end of the day it is the producer/director who makes the decisions about how things are edited to look and sound in the finished episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it a different way, that Thelma was more than on the side of the girls, that she was trying to make sure they understood that there would be deductions from their wage and the reasons why. I work with teenagers of this age and many of them (grudgingly, usually!) have to get part-time jobs to earn some extra money, and they don't understand about tax and deductions either, but you can put money on one of them (or more!) 'kicking off' about being 'swindled' or 'done out of what's mine' because they don't realise they don't always get the headline rate in their pay packet.

I thought it was a sensible move on Thelma's part to head off any pay day trouble from the start by asking if they understood that the headline wage wasn't necessarily what they'd find in their pay packet on pay day (although, luckily, they weren't encouraged to open their envelopes there and then so didn't have the "she's got more than me" situation thank goodness). I didn't see it as being a 'set up' or vindictive towards the traveller girls in particular.

If anything, Thelma's the one person who's most on their side in the work place, giving them a chance to learn some skills. But, as another poster has said, unfortunately the girls haven't done themselves any favours in their interpretation of what is 'acceptable behaviour (and Shannon's mum was no better). But, if the tax and NI question was a 'set up' I doubt very much it was Thelma's idea, or done for the reasons you imply (she's never pretended she's an angel and is honest about her benefit fraud past) and at the end of the day it is the producer/director who makes the decisions about how things are edited to look and sound in the finished episode.

Ok if you think that, I don't see them doing it on The Apprentice, that's all I am saying lol.
    Thank you for agreeing that it's not because they are traveller that some didn't know about tax!
    Although reading some posts on here and Twitter you can see the reaction, and I think that was engineered still.

I did warm to her slightly, TM. I do not think she is on the side of gypsies or travellers. She should have fired that one, but she brought her back, I assume in order to cause more trouble.
    This blog expresses it better:

http://pipopotamus.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/thelmas-gypsy-lies.html

When you say "the girls" it was just a few them and pretty nasty I agree but... what was for example, Brigite's crime? or the ones just keeping their heads down? I think this is demonstrative of the whole. A few behave badly and everyone focuses on that.
    Do you think the country people were that well behaved either, showing arses and not eating with the travellers?
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Tax? What's tax?:D Shocker:rolleyes:

do they not wonder where the benefit money comes from?

You just knew the mother wouldnt see any bad in what happened.

Poor Bridget.

Id have loved to have been given a chance like those girls are getting working in a dressmakers and having a skill