Options

Do People 'Review' Too Much?

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,833
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not talking films, albums etc - more restaurants, hotels, holiday resorts etc?

It seems every time you google anything nowadays, even just to look where a pub or a cafe is on a map there are links to reviews of this?

Occasionally I browse them, but the more I read the more useless the reviews seem to be. There was a hotel I was booking only a night in (so couldn't really care less on the review - but had a look anyway). Of the 25 reviews it had something like eight 5*s and twelve 1*s. I'm not really sure what that's meant to tell you.

I can understand, if you're spending a fortune on a meal, holiday, hotel, health spa etc and 80% of the reviews are negative, then obviously that's useful.

But are a few paragraphs of criticism from me - or any old sod, who may not be particuarly qualified to speak - that valid?

Something else I notice is not every area reviewed are even actual restaurants or hotels. I've seen small little cafe's selling a few sandwiches, or little B&Bs reviewed as if they're meant to be The Ritz, criticising something that costs £3.50.

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very useful. I begrudge spending money on any sort of service if it's impossible to see what others have thought. This is why feedback is so important to businesses, it makes people feel happier about parting with their cash.

The important thing is just to take a sensible view of it all. That means acknowledging that not every review will be genuine, some will have been left by idiots etc but you take an aggregate average. If a business has 20 bad reviews and only 3 positive reviews it's safe to say they're going wrong somewhere.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try to skim and look for themes. Different people saying the same things over and over again.. It used to be you had to rely on a magazine review. But yes there's a lot of chaff out there.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I have decided against buying something before if it t has lots of bad reviews (say from Argos) or not bought from a website I have not used before if I check and it has bad reviews
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed in a hotel once just for the night, only a small £30 odd a night 6 room place.

It was lovely, fine, did the job, nothing more but people still graded it 1 star & hated it. I've no idea what there was to dislike it that much - a nice room with a bed & bath for £30.

Ok, not Champneys, nor a 5 star hotel, but for what it is I wonder what people expected.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reviewed on Trip Adviser for the first time this week.

I fell into bantery conversation (as usual) with my local fish and chip restaurant owner, who is a bloody diamond, and he said he'd had a bad review.

It really hacked me off, as the staff and him are immensely friendly, remember you if you've not gone in for a year, cook the stuff beautifully and it's the best fish and chips I've ever had and reasonably priced as well.

So I wrote one.

I read the horrible one and it was seriously unfair.

So - when reviews are important and become a sort of game, then the ordinary uses sort of HAVE to review.

:(
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stayed in a hotel once just for the night, only a small £30 odd a night 6 room place.

It was lovely, fine, did the job, nothing more but people still graded it 1 star & hated it. I've no idea what there was to dislike it that much - a nice room with a bed & bath for £30.

Ok, not Champneys, nor a 5 star hotel, but for what it is I wonder what people expected.

I know right?! Sometimes I can't help but wonder what people expect from these things they review...
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know right?! Sometimes I can't help but wonder what people expect from these things they review...

That's the one annoying thing I find about reviews. When people criticise something that really, for the price, isn't a criticism. Like "decor could do with updating" in the £30 a night b&b.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love reviews. I'm addicted to Yelp and TripAdvisor.

I greatly appreciate those people who leave reviews; especially on Amazon, MakeUpAlley and Clothing/Fashion sites.

I agree that people leave some crap reviews, but hey ho, after you waddle through the misery guts you get some helpful information.
  • Options
    Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I find them useful, especially when buying stuff for the PC off of E-Buyer or wherever.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep getting asked to "review the packaging".

Yes, the item I bought was packaged.