Options

Did you have Sky TV in the 80's?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
If you were born that is:p

As a kid I was always a bit envious when I saw the dish on the wall of peoples houses which meant they were getting the mysterious 'extra' channels. I never knew anyone with Sky though so never got to see what it was.

Last week however I was given some 8 hour tapes of the 'Sky Channel' in the late 80's. I was shocked how bad it was. Now it is famous for new dramas and comedy but I am suprised anyone went for it back then. It seems like some dodgy shopping channel with faded made for cable films bunged in. New years day 1989 was like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-FiVuNQjo and it plays like a parody of bad TV. I put a few clips off my tape onto YT.

When did it change for the better? Is it still anything like this?

Comments

• Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    No I got it when they got the football in the early 90's.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had Sky in any decade.

I seem to be in the minority in my family though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one of the very first sky boxes that had 15 or 16 buttons on the front of it to select each channel.

can't think who made it though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've had it since it was launched, but then I've had cable TV from the mid 80's and watched Music Box (think MTV) and Premiere (think movies) all the time
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKY only launched in early 89, and was not available to the public till the summer of that year. So yes SKY was available in the 80s but only in the last few months of the decade. Although things like super channel and United Artists cable had been around a few years before SKY.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Mum and Dad had Sky since day 1.
    They used to rent their TV and the cost gradually fell so that when Sky started they could have it for the same price that renting a TV, alone, cost a few years before.

Main thing I always noticed, and which still happened a lot all the way up to a few years ago, was that they'd play the same stuff over and over again.
    It seemed like Sky News, for example, would record one show and just play it over and over again, every couple of hours, all through the day.

Used to spend quite a bit of time, in far-away places, sitting and watching Sky while waiting for something to happen and it wasn't just similar things appearing. It was the exact same programme, over and over again.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, had it from the start (via cable) - and Super Channel (that never knew what it was, changing frequently), Music Box and more. Oh, and MTV when it was still a music channel. Come to think of it, a great deal of Sky's early output was music programming too (Hellooo Rockers!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had telewest cable in early/mid 90's (now called virgin media) and they ditched us when we got into financial difficulties for a short while, following the birth of our first child in 1998. We then got sky as a replacement and have had it ever since.

I like my sky, but i dont like the way it cuts off during bad weather :(
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I had one of the very first sky boxes that had 15 or 16 buttons on the front of it to select each channel.

can't think who made it though.

Was it Amstrad?

We didn't have Sky when it launched, however we had BSB from day 1 right up until Sky took them over.

The TV shows may have seemed awful or cheap, but you have to remember no one had the internet back then, we only had 4 channels on the normal TV and VHS. When BSB/SKY came along offering another 5 or so channels it was something exciting.

When SKY took over BSB we still had the BSB kit for ages until Sky came and put up a big grey dish on the side of our house. The BSB dish was a small square plate, it's a shame sky didn't keep those. Our BSB box still worked for ages and we were able to tune in a few foreign channels.

Here is a good picture comparing the two dishes. Sky dishes are a bit smaller these days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickyhart/105209978/lightbox/

Eventually, around 1995/6 we got rid of sky and got cable put in as it was a better deal. We kept that until digital cable launched and then in around 2005 we got sky back in the house with sky+ multiroom, however now we just have freeview HD as we got sick of paying for TV we never watched.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading the Sky leaflet while at college in 88/89.
    Back then a lot of the channels were free to air, even the most basic Sky box was only Free to Air - the Decoder or Pay part was originally sold as a separate add on unit! The main unit had 16 channel presets.

Later the decoder (pay) box was built into the main decoder. Many people had the Amstrad version of this, but I remember the Pace unit (9200 I think) which had a better tuner and could maintain weak signals for longer.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old early Sky, All the german channels and Lifestyle Juke Box, that's about all I remember. There was a soap channel briefly and Granada TV later, which showed Corrie from the beginning, but Sky it's self was pretty awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    Was it Amstrad?.

Don't think it was. I'm still googling various terms to see if i can find a picture of it but no luck so far.
    greengran wrote: »
    Good old early Sky, All the german channels and Lifestyle Juke Box, that's about all I remember. There was a soap channel briefly and Granada TV later, which showed Corrie from the beginning, but Sky it's self was pretty awful.

I remember the quiz show on one of the german channels that involved the contestants stripping off - that was rather popular back then !
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Got it in 1990 so it had only been out about 1 year
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Up until September 1982, we only had 3 channels, yes three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I even remember how i got it actually - the "Today" newspaper (yes, it was that far back :)) was running a giveaway of something like 100,000 Sky Packages and you either had to write in saying why you wanted one or just enter the competition and I was lucky enough to win one.

Since I was still living at home, I had to ask my mum if it was ok to put the dish up :)

*edit

Found it !. It was an Amstrad - the Fidelity SRX200 which was released in 1989.

http://content.onliner.by/forum/1a9/071/329793/800x800/2c575ebf6d767bf51368925f8223ee55.jpg
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, most TV was that bad in the 80's not just Sky.

Mind you, it hasn't got much better in my opinion.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    We got it to watch the Ashes from Australia (1994?) - what I liked in those analogue days was that I could take the card from box to box and that I could organise the EPG to my liking.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad got it for us in 1991 I think. Being able to see WWF and The Simpsons on a weekly basis, I was the envy of all my school chums!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, we didn't have satellite TV in the '80s. We didn't even have it in the '90s either.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    My family didn't have Sky properly installed until after 1997, but we used to have the analogue services from a Pace box and satellite.

Not that we spent time watching the Sky Channel or Sky News, probably if anything Eurosport and RTL. :p
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No we had cable which at that time allowed us more or less to choose and pay for only the channels we wanted. It was an innovation at the time in our home but looking back, very funny.
    The only one channel at a time access throughout the house?
    Got Sky and Sky plus in 2003 , best thing ever!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve never had it.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Thats a wee shame !
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had Sky since Sky Digital launched sometime in 1998. Increasingly poor signal receiving, especially when it rained, convinced me to change to Virgin Media in 2008. Never as good as Sky though but at least I get a picture.

I miss Sky, I had hours of fun searching through an endless list of channels only to find there is nothing to watch with easy listening music playing in the background.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    got sky via mk.TV in 1984