How cantankerous did Tom Baker get in his final years?

ClackersClackers Posts: 628
Forum Member
✭✭
I have recently been searching YouTube for some behind the scenes footage but did not find any.

By all accounts Baker became IMPOSSIBLE to work with towards the end of his tenure as the Doctor, being rude, arrogant, aloof, and generally crotchety with other cast members and crew.

Are there any written chronicles online somewhere that goes into more detail about his bad attitude?

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Clackers wrote: »
    I have recently been searching YouTube for some behind the scenes footage but did not find any.

By all accounts Baker became IMPOSSIBLE to work with towards the end of his tenure as the Doctor, being rude, arrogant, aloof, and generally crotchety with other cast members and crew.

Are there any written chronicles online somewhere that goes into more detail about his bad attitude?

There was one clip behind-the-scenes of The Leisure Hive (where the Doctor Was to throw the golden helmet into the Tachyon Generator's screen to smash it), something went wrong and Baker was heard swearing, and very angry, to try and get it right.

There are examples where he had to shoot with Lalla Ward, and he literally refused to look her in the eye.

Matthew Waterhouse thought he was being helpful when his 17 year-old self was giving 50-odd Tom Baker acting tips. Clearly an experienced actor of Baker's vintage wouldn't accept someone so experienced giving him acting tips. Baker was quite offended by this.

Also can't remember what, but something happened that turned the relationship between Matthew and Lalla somewhat frosty.

Take into account Baker was actually quite ill for some time during this series, and also he didn't like JNT's plans for the show, especially as he had effectively been allowed to guide Graham Williams towards what he (Baker) wanted between 1977-1980.
  • ClackersClackers Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    There was one clip behind-the-scenes of The Leisure Hive (where the Doctor Was to throw the golden helmet into the Tachyon Generator's screen to smash it), something went wrong and Baker was heard swearing, and very angry, to try and get it right.

There are examples where he had to shoot with Lalla Ward, and he literally refused to look her in the eye.

Matthew Waterhouse thought he was being helpful when his 17 year-old self was giving 50-odd Tom Baker acting tips. Clearly an experienced actor of Baker's vintage wouldn't accept someone so experienced giving him acting tips. Baker was quite offended by this.

Also can't remember what, but something happened that turned the relationship between Matthew and Lalla somewhat frosty.

Take into account Baker was actually quite ill for some time during this series, and also he didn't like JNT's plans for the show, especially as he had effectively been allowed to guide Graham Williams towards what he (Baker) wanted between 1977-1980.

I am told there are many clips on the Logopolis (new beginnings) DVD, but I don't own it, so I was searching on YouTube. I will try to find the Leisure Hive clip.

Thanks for the help, and if true, that was really cheeky and stupid from Matthew.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Richard Todd (star of The Dambusters) Waterhouse gave acting tips to wasn't it?

There's little point trying to defend Baker's abusive behaviour, but it is of it's time. Guess the 11th Doctors final speech holds true, change is good.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    It was Richard Todd (star of The Dambusters) Waterhouse gave acting tips to wasn't it?

There's little point trying to defend Baker's abusive behaviour, but it is of it's time. Guess the 11th Doctors final speech holds true, change is good.

No, I'm certain it was Tom Baker that he gave acting tips to. As a result, Tom Baker avoided contact with him as much as possible whilst they were working together.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm certain it was Tom Baker that he gave acting tips to. As a result, Tom Baker avoided contact with him as much as possible whilst they were working together.

He definately did to Richard Todd. Peter Davison has delighted in telling that story many times. Poor MW.

Answer to OP, suspect the answer is Very...if he was in a mood. Certainly remember seeing some tense moments during the making of 'Shada' on a DVD extra.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member

It was Richard Todd, it's talked out about in the Kinda DVD commentary of which I listened to last night!
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Richard Todd, it's talked out about in the Kinda DVD commentary of which I listened to last night!

Richard Todd was certainly one of the beneficiaries of Waterhouse's advice, but I for one would not be surprised if it turned out he was not alone: Waterhouse was certainly bumptious enough. On the Logopolis DVD commentary, though, I seem to recall Tom Baker says something to the effect that he disliked Waterhouse because he was an inexperienced actor who kept picking up TB's own mannerisms instead of providing his own.

Tom Baker was hardly the first Doctor Who to have become cantankerous and difficult towards the end of his tenure. I don't suppose he was any worse than Hartnell or Pertwee. I think it's just something that comes with the territory (and all three actors would respond graciously to the correct handling).
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like any one of us at work. Once you've been doing the job for a few years you automatically assume you're the best there is at doing it. When some "upstart" (we all have experience of labelling someone that) comes along and makes changes because they think they know best, we all get defensive and feel threatened with the changes because we don't find change necessary.

It's human nature and as a pretty eccentric human being, Tom Baker would have been no different.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew Waterhouse thought he was being helpful when his 17 year-old self was giving 50-odd Tom Baker acting tips.

Poor Tom! He was only 46 when he left the show!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Tom! He was only 46 when he left the show!
    It should have been Tom giving Waterhouse acting tips!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One BBC memo describes him as 'flippant and unmanageable'.
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He definately did to Richard Todd. Peter Davison has delighted in telling that story many times. Poor MW.

I think Waterhouse refuted this in his book, saying it was just a story Davison liked to put about on the convention circuit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    I think Waterhouse refuted this in his book, saying it was just a story Davison liked to put about on the convention circuit
    Did Davision and Waterhouse get on?
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Did Davision and Waterhouse get on?

I only listened to the audio version of his book, I think it was abridged, but I don't recall him mentioning much about Davison that was of interest. From what I've gathered from reviews about the dvd commentaries, Waterhouse seems to get quite a bit of grief from his fellow cast members, I don't know whether this is just teasing or not.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think how Baker was offset during his last Season was really just a continuance of the last few Seasons as he started to dominate matters, plus having Lalla Ward on the show at the time probably put a bigger strain on him. Plus he was already demanding script approval at the Season 16 and threatened to quit so I'd say this behavior had been happening for some while.

I think this is why I prefer his early performances so much. He seems so much more relaxed and at ease in the role at a time when he wasn't so domineering offset and the strain of being a big star of the show had yet to set in.

:)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think how Baker was offset during his last Season was really just a continuance of the last few Seasons as he started to dominate matters, plus having Lalla Ward on the show at the time probably put a bigger strain on him. Plus he was already demanding script approval at the Season 16 and threatened to quit so I'd say this behavior had been happening for some while.

I think this is why I prefer his early performances so much. He seems so much more relaxed and at ease in the role at a time when he wasn't so domineering offset and the strain of being a big star of the show had yet to set in.

That's pretty much my take on it. From various interviews with people in front of and behind the camera that I've read over the years, it was Season 15 when he got a bit more, um, 'difficult'and his performances IMO less consistant.Of course then there was a new young producer in place, Tom wasn't keen on the Leela character and after 3 years he was established as a big TV star.

I've wildly speculated before that he was in a good mood and gave some of his most fun performances in Season 16 because he didn't want to look a t*t in front of the breathtakingly beautiful and down to earth Mary Tamm! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's pretty much my take on it. From various interviews with people in front of and behind the camera that I've read over the years, it was Season 15 when he got a bit more, um, 'difficult'and his performances IMO less consistant.Of course then there was a new young producer in place, Tom wasn't keen on the Leela character and after 3 years he was established as a big TV star.

I've wildly speculated before that he was in a good mood and gave some of his most fun performances in Season 16 because he didn't want to look a t*t in front of the breathtakingly beautiful and down to earth Mary Tamm! :)

Yes, I agree. I think the best person to have noticed the biggest change in him the most was Christopher Barry, who directed his first story and then came back several Seasons later and noticed how much he'd changed offset to a more domineering force.

Also agree about the change of producer, it seems from what I've read, Hinchcliffe kept him in check regarding the humour but Williams, to coin a phrase, let him off the leash. He was given almost free reign to do as he pleased which maybe why he kicked off even more when JNT took over in Season 18 and reigned him in and cut down on the humour.

• ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That guy who played Adric certainly spouted his mouth off about how unpleasant Baker became in his "Blue Box Boy" book. Mind you, I think he himself was a pretty annoying little **** from the rumors I've heard, so I don't know what to think.

To be honest, Tom probably got quite bad, but he wasn't very well (he looked pretty ropey in his final season) and he wasn't too keen on JNT from what I understand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thamwet wrote: »
    That guy who played Adric certainly spouted his mouth off about how unpleasant Baker became in his "Blue Box Boy" book. Mind you, I think he himself was a pretty annoying little **** from the rumors I've heard, so I don't know what to think.

To be honest, Tom probably got quite bad, but he wasn't very well (he looked pretty ropey in his final season) and he wasn't too keen on JNT from what I understand.
    Tom and JNT didn't get on working together but I think they became friends after he left the show. Hinchcliffe was the only producer who managed to keep Tom happy, the rest couldn't. His first 3 seasons were the best he did. Absoute classics. Key to Time season was ok, Mary Tamm was a excellent companion. Season 17 is when the humour went overboard, no doubt because of Douglas Adams becoming script editor. I only like City of Death from that season. Season 18 was a bit grim, some good stories but Baker was far too serious, hardly any humour he displayed that season. I would have liked a better balance in that season, more like his first 3 seasons.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    At a talk Louise Jamison gave last year she stated that when she joined the show Baker would hardly talk to her. She put this down to him being jealous of the attention her costume would get. She did also say that long after she had left he did apologise for his behaviour towards her and that they are now good friends. I think the main problem was that he had been the star of the show for so long that he began to think that he knew better than the writers, producers and directors as to how the show should be made and no one realy had the courage to stand up to him.
    He's a funny one is old Tom, he loves to change his stories. One of his favourites is that he was on his way home when he realised that Doctor Who was about to be shown so he called at a nearby house and asked if he could go in to watch it. Nowadays he says he NEVER watched the programme !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    At a talk Louise Jamison gave last year she stated that when she joined the show Baker would hardly talk to her. She put this down to him being jealous of the attention her costume would get. She did also say that long after she had left he did apologise for his behaviour towards her and that they are now good friends. I think the main problem was that he had been the star of the show for so long that he began to think that he knew better than the writers, producers and directors as to how the show should be made and no one realy had the courage to stand up to him.
    He's a funny one is old Tom, he loves to change his stories. One of his favourites is that he was on his way home when he realised that Doctor Who was about to be shown so he called at a nearby house and asked if he could go in to watch it. Nowadays he says he NEVER watched the programme !
    Think the story was The Deadly Assassin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    Tom Baker was hardly the first Doctor Who to have become cantankerous and difficult towards the end of his tenure. I don't suppose he was any worse than Hartnell or Pertwee. I think it's just something that comes with the territory (and all three actors would respond graciously to the correct handling).

I forgot to reply to this post earlier but apparently Patrick Troughton of all Doctors got a bit irascible towards the end of his time as well. Apparently the heavy workload and the nature of the last few stories took it's toll on him as he just wanted to leave at that point.

Considering how many episodes were made in those days you can understand it. It must have been a long slog to get to the end of that Season when you've already decided to leave.

• adammarc_98adammarc_98 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Tom and JNT didn't get on working together but I think they became friends after he left the show. Hinchcliffe was the only producer who managed to keep Tom happy, the rest couldn't. His first 3 seasons were the best he did. Absoute classics. Key to Time season was ok, Mary Tamm was a excellent companion. Season 17 is when the humour went overboard, no doubt because of Douglas Adams becoming script editor. I only like City of Death from that season. Season 18 was a bit grim, some good stories but Baker was far too serious, hardly any humour he displayed that season. I would have liked a better balance in that season, more like his first 3 seasons.

Funnily enough, Hinchcliffe's departure coincided with Baker's initial request to leave
  • PastaPasta Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My recollection of the Matthew Waterhouse/Richard Todd story may be wrong, but I think Todd was, no doubt modestly, saying he had little experience of this sort of show, and Waterhouse thought he was being helpful, which got spun into 'little twerp tries to give veteran thesp acting lessons'.
  • Mr MajesterMr Majester Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who liked the last 4th Doctor series?
    I know he was grumpy - but he seemed to have more of a 'presence' if you like - maybe due to the new costume?
    #As for his cameo in the 50th - :cry:
    I had to hide my face away watching as I started to sniffle[wife would've taken piss], he looks so old and frail - heartbreaking.