Love for Sale with Rupert Everett | Monday 10pm | Channel 4

Comments

• misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I didn't think so, it seems that he revels in it, the 'dirtier' the better.

I agree and I am watching now. I watched his previous programme on Richard Burton the explorer and I find him engaging. He is open and understanding which helps with sort of subject.

Best

M
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His opinions are too strong. I think he's too involved in the subject to give a balanced view.

He seems to think that because he sounds posh, his opinions are more valid.

Also he's reinforcing far too many negative gay stereotypes (probably because he is too arrogant to broaden his mind).
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    His opinions are too strong. I think he's too involved in the subject to give a balanced view.

He seems to think that because he sounds posh, his opinions are more valid.

Also he's reinforcing far too many negative gay stereotypes (probably because he is too arrogant to broaden his mind).

I've no idea what the guy's accent has got to do with anything. :confused:

I don't think Everett is treating the exercise as a serious documentary and it clearly isn't meant to be.
    Forum Member
    Who is the weirdo with the tinted glasses, tanktop and ghastly facial hair? He's like Russell Brand's even more annoying brother.

Blimey! Now Brand himself has rocked up.:o
  • 39_Steps39_Steps Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Who is the weirdo with the tinted glasses, tanktop and ghastly facial hair? He's like Russell Brand's even more annoying brother.

"...Yielding to my penis.." WTF :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no idea what the guy's accent has got to do with anything. :confused:

I don't think Everett is treating the exercise as a serious documentary and it clearly isn't meant to be.

That's a shame some elements of it could have been really insightful.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've very often seen Rupert wandering around Soho, I'm thinking that maybe he lives there.

Re : his posh accent, I don't think that in any way makes him snobbish or means that he looks down on people, rather the contrary, he seems to enjoy the seedier side of life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've very often seen Rupert wandering around Soho, I'm thinking that maybe he lives there.

Re : his posh accent, I don't think that in any way makes him snobbish or means that he looks down on people, rather the contrary, he seems to enjoy the seedier side of life.

He definitely looks down on people (not in terms of what they like sexually), regardless of his accent (I probably was wrong with that), he uses long words to lead the people to give the answer he wants. If he just let the people speak, we would've got a much more balanced view.

I really am appalled by what he said to reinforce the gay stereotypes though.
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I didn't like the show or really agree with RE's stance on the whole thing. Once again, just because you have a dick between your legs, you have 'needs' that must be met, regardless of who you're hurting around you. It just showed the world as such a seedy, disappointing place.

Nowadays, it's not popular to deny anyone anything - live and let live, it's their lives, blah blah - but I feel if you have to go to a dominatrix for stress relief from your job, maybe find another bloody job, I just think a lot of this ideology about men and sex is reinforced even more so nowadays. Marriage on this show seems like the biggest farce ever.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He definitely looks down on people (not in terms of what they like sexually), regardless of his accent (I probably was wrong with that), he uses long words to lead the people to give the answer he wants. If he just let the people speak, we would've got a much more balanced view.

I disagree that he looks down on people, I've never found that with him.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know about all the bad sides of prostitution, but why is it assumed that the man is always exploiting the woman, and the woman is innocent. The way I see it, if a woman enjoys sex, or doesn't mind doing that to make some money, then surely she is exploiting the man.

Also, if you go on a date with a woman, pay for a meal, and the woman sleeps with you, why is that really any different to prostitution?

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong, just putting it out there.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S. I'm gay, before anyone says that no woman should ever go out with me.
    Forum Member

Blimey, fellah. First it's his accent and now you don't like the fact that he's educated and has a proper vocabulary.:o:D

I thought he did take the other bus so is surely perfectly entitled to talk about homosexuality?
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    RobMiles wrote: »
    I know about all the bad sides of prostitution, but why is it assumed that the man is always exploiting the woman, and the woman is innocent. The way I see it, if a woman enjoys sex, or doesn't mind doing that to make some money, then surely she is exploiting the man.

Also, if you go on a date with a woman, pay for a meal, and the woman sleeps with you, why is that really any different to prostitution?

I guess if you went for a meal and had sex, it would be different as the man couldn't just 'demand whatever he wanted', the way he would feel entitled to if he was paying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, fellah. First it's his accent and now you don't like the fact that he's educated and has a proper vocabulary.:o:D

I thought he did take the other bus so is surely perfectly entitled to talk about homosexuality?

That wasn't my point at all. It was a the negative things about being gay he said which stupid people will believe to be true. He was either trying to be funny (and failing miserably) or just lives in a bubble and is doing nothing for gay rights by saying things how gay guys are all into kinky stuff and need to have anonymous sex all the time.
    Forum Member
    RobMiles wrote: »

BIB: :o:o:o There is a massive difference in terms of expectation, intent, motive and entitlement. Seriously, can you really not see that?
    Forum Member
    That wasn't my point at all. It was a the negative things about being gay he said which stupid people will believe to be true. He was either trying to be funny (and failing miserably) or just lives in a bubble and is doing nothing for gay rights by saying things how gay guys are all into kinky stuff and need to have anonymous sex all the time.

Well, although I ddin't see the whole programme, surely what he actually said was that straight blokes sometimes envy gay blokes for being able to have anonymous, no-strings-attached sex. As someone with nice nails, presumably he has some experience on which to draw?
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I like the bit where the dominatrix said the Royal Mail didn't know she was sending her poo through the post.
    They do now, dear...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, although I ddin't see the whole programme, surely what he actually said was that straight blokes sometimes envy gay blokes for being able to have anonymous, no-strings-attached sex. As someone with nice nails, presumably he has some experience on which to draw?

You're just proving that you didn't see the whole show. The worst was his comments referring to the breakfast toast with the dominatrix.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in an area of Edinburgh that was known as the Red light area. It was stressful coming home late at night and walking to your door because you would see cars prowling around. I often saw the girls standing in dark corners alone in cold nights and they always said hello. I noticed far away they looked very presentable but close up they were so sad,empty and they were either drunk or on something
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to say, I really enjoyed Everett's playful and frank presenting style. Particulary liked it when he quizzed that guy if he shaved his balls or not -the expression of Everett's face was priceless.
  • Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange old world we live in.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Prostitution by country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_country

Having read a little on various countries where, it is claimed, prostitution is "legal and regulated" there seems little evidence that anything is regulated. The idea of nice, clean brothels where the prostitutes have regular health checks, pay taxes, etc. and where slavery or abuse of any kind would be discovered seems to me an illusion - sadly.
    As for making prostitution illegal - just look at the map and tell me how well that is working out.

Listening to RE I was reminded of another well-known libertine, George Melly, who when he was asked in old age if he regretted the loss of his libido quoted Cicero: "It's like being unchained from a lunatic". Yes, indeed.
    Forum Member
    You're just proving that you didn't see the whole show. The worst was his comments referring to the breakfast toast with the dominatrix.

Well, enlighten me then. What did he was that was so hurtful?
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the bit where the dominatrix said the Royal Mail didn't know she was sending her poo through the post.
    They do now, dear...

She might be sending her mum to the post office for her:D

She insisted it was the first poo of the morning( kept thinking does she take something at night to make sure she goes???), wonder how much it goes for???? What happens if she can't go does she use her mum's????:confused::o