The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike91 wrote: »
    And I agree with other who say signing to a label doesn't guarantee success. Your team makes the most difference and as we've seen, she has an amazing new team behind her now.

Material makes the biggest difference. That has been Leona's downfall more so than label mistakes or management mistakes. If she doesn't get the lead single right then this move won't mean anything. That's why personally I'm not getting myself excited over this label move. Leona's had a very active role in choosing her singles. She fought for BL which is great but she was all for both Happy and Trouble which both practically killed the album campaigns before they had even started.

The best thing about this label move for me is I reckon her budget will be bigger than what Syco would have gave her so she should be working with top producers.

I really need her to do a #AskLeona session. I feel we're kinda lost on what actually happens now.
  • geraldbaezgeraldbaez Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kokos wrote: »
    I think her new label will want her to do an album similar to Spirit as it's her most succesful album. They'll take advantage of her big voice and there definitely be high notes and falsettos IMO. Also according to her recent outfits I guess the album is going to be really dark. We'll see, I'm just hoping that new music is coming really soon. ;-)

I really hope so! Hopefully we get some news on where things stand at the moment! :)
  • IluzionistaIluzionista Posts: 5,406
    Forum Member
    I don't want R&B record if I'm honest because a lot of artists are trying that at the minute and most of them are failing to produce a respectable song. Leona needs a solid pop record that can tick a lot of boxes and that's what she does best. Obviously, with incredibly great r&b record she could make it, but incredible r&b records don't happen too often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Material makes the biggest difference. That has been Leona's downfall more so than label mistakes or management mistakes. If she doesn't get the lead single right then this move won't mean anything. That's why personally I'm not getting myself excited over this label move. Leona's had a very active role in choosing her singles. She fought for BL which is great but she was all for both Happy and Trouble which both practically killed the album campaigns before they had even started.

The best thing about this label move for me is I reckon her budget will be bigger than what Syco would have gave her so she should be working with top producers.

I really need her to do a #AskLeona session. I feel we're kinda lost on what actually happens now.

Me too, I've got WAY too many questions for her to be answered, we all need clearness I guess, 'cause we're all going nowhere with the 'Maybe she' :):):):)
    Forum Member
    I don't want R&B record if I'm honest because a lot of artists are trying that at the minute and most of them are failing to produce a respectable song. Leona needs a solid pop record that can tick a lot of boxes and that's what she does best. Obviously, with incredibly great r&b record she could make it, but incredible r&b records don't happen too often.

Actually I do not know any female artist that has recently released a R&B-inspired pop song like Leona used to have. I even noticed like a year ago that in my opinion the music of these days wasn't what I loved anymore, too much dance and a lot less like leona's R&B inspired songs.
  • fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Luuk wrote: »
    [/B]

Me too, I've got WAY too many questions for her to be answered, we all need clearness I guess, 'cause we're all going nowhere with the 'Maybe she' :):):):)

Yes we need #AskLeona

So Leona what direction are you gonna take with your new music?
    No answer

When we can expect new single to be release?
    No answer

How's Melrose?
    Oh thank you for asking! She's great just had a piece of carrot and fresh water. She's really happy although yesterday she didn't feel well I guess she was sad because Lilly and Forrest weren't at home.

haha
    Forum Member
    Yes we need #AskLeona

So Leona what direction are you gonna take with your new music?
    No answer

When we can expect new single to be release?
    No answer

How's Melrose?
    Oh thank you for asking! She's great just had a piece of carrot and fresh water. She's really happy although yesterday she didn't feel well I guess she was sad because Lilly and Forrest weren't at home.

haha

OMG Exactly hahaha ! She answered me like 3 times but I asked like 1983892 questions about her album and her career. The only answer I got is about that She and Ryan came up with the idea to call her album Glassheart. Chelsea (@xChelseaDamson) had it even worse and got replies on if she liked Anastacia, what dream she had last, and what her favourite Sugababe song was hahaha
  • EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Is Leona lewis talented?or did she deserve to be dropped by her label ? Real Talk debate 2nite! Do talent shows exploit the talented@OHTV

LOL, she's even going to be talked about on TV. Get that promo Leona. Seen loads of tweets about it too.

In terms of her album, I'm happy with whatever as long as she's happy with it. :)
    Forum Member
    Just read an old tweet of Leona from april about that's she was in the studio. I don't believe that the progress about this new label wasn't progressing yet back then...
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luuk wrote: »
    Just read an old tweet of Leona from april about that's she was in the studio. I don't believe that the progress about this new label wasn't progressing yet back then...

I don't think it either. I mean it's not like she decided to leave last week :') She must have been recording things already.. We just need some confirmation
  • Paul_MarsdenPaul_Marsden Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this poster about puglia and walking on sunshine today coming home from work

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3903/14166584729_825d97f7cb_z.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kidbass replied to me :D
    ♫♪*[{~KIDBASS~}]*♪♫ ‏@KIDBASSMUSIC 2 min
    @WorldofLeonaLew label situation shouldn't affects things ;)

I asked him what would happen with his work with Leona

and also to this
    Nicholas Yon ‏@yonevents 3 jun.
    @KIDBASSMUSIC @IamNovel you heard the news regarding @leonalewismusic
    #island #universal #fresh #grow #collabs #hits #newmusic #leonalewis

he answered: "Yup all good!"
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just re-listened to Echo today. What kind of smash that got away was Alive. :(
  • fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    @KIDBASSMUSIC @IamNovel you heard the news regarding @leonalewismusic #island #universal #fresh #grow #collabs #hits #newmusic #leonalewis
    @yonevents
    @KIDBASSMUSIC
  • Gobstopper13Gobstopper13 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona has always said she doesn't keep track of how high or low she can go and I think as singers mature, they realise it's not all about the most powerful or highest note you can produce. If you look at someone like Mariah, she has probably cashed in on the fact people want the belts and high notes from her, so she's shoe horned them in to every song and performance, now she is paying the price with a seriously deteriorated voice.

I would rather have an album full of songs that showcase all of the great things about Leona's voice-tone, emotion and range. The songs need to be strong, melody and lyric driven, regardless of the genre. Collide is a great example, it had a great hook but the verses and lyric let it down.

TBH I think Glassheart was her most challenging vocal album. Look at the range and technique the songs demand from her...high belts on Come Alive, low range on Fingerprint, sustained mid range belts. There are great vocal moments on Spirit and Echo but they relied solely on Leona's upper range and falsetto rather than a broad vocal range.

The next album needs conviction. They can't go in to it thinking we'll do a song to suit this audience, another song for another audience etc as it will just create another Glassheart that didn't have a cohesive sound.

Adult contemporary is Leona's lane, so time to put the dance sound to bed, and get back in to grown up pop/rnb IMO. She can't do guitar/indie pop with conviction (Love Letter, I got you) so time to stay away from that too.

I would love her to get some guest features from Raleigh Ritchie, a duet with Bruno Mars, John Legend. This is where she should be going...not Michael Bolton for Christs sake!
  • geraldbaezgeraldbaez Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe Naked and Can't Breathe were never singles. These song are f-ing amazing. I'd like songs similar to those.

And @Gobstopper: I see where you're coming from and yeah I'd like Leona to showcase all aspects of her voice, but I'd still like it to be more upper range and falsetto driven (since this part of her voice is soooo angelic).
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Leona x Vogue
    #styldby #macandmir #germanvogue horse_shoe_peace http://t.co/hanGBMn9xn

Stunning. This looks gorgeous in black and white. :)

This photo really shows how Leona has matured. I want an album that reflects her growth. I don't think Leona is entirely of one genre. For me her best songs are those where she uses the best features of her voice to express the lyrics and emotion of the song. I know she over-used "eclectic" last time, but her voice does draw on classical skill, RnB, jazz, some elements of folk and indie. When she sings best, she simply uses the sound that suits the song.

I agree that her strength is Adult contemporary. I think she has always had far too much ability to limit herself to simple pop. That doesn't rule out a range of tempos.

I agree that her pure, high notes are thrilling. When she uses them in songs like Your Hallelujah and How Everything You Are it always makes me tingle.

I do think that we might have to wait a bit though. It's so important that this album gets it right. As long as she is kept in the public eye, that shouldn't be a problem. And given the circumstances, it will undoubtedly get attention. So as long as it is quality and has a strong single(s) it will be fine.

No later than early next year though, I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as she's doing things that we can look forward too, then I'm fine waiting a little bit longer.
  • LibbylizLibbyliz Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you had a good holiday ariella52, i also love the different tones and the way Leona puts the song across, a perfect example for me was how she sang Locked Out Of Heaven, my favorite cover from Leona .
    Forum Member
    Libbyliz wrote: »
    Hope you had a good holiday ariella52, i also love the different tones and the way Leona puts the song across, a perfect example for me was how she sang Locked Out Of Heaven, my favorite cover from Leona .

Thank you, Libbyliz. It was lovely. :)

Just catching up on the Leona news now. It's so good to have something meaty to discuss again.

I love her version of Locked Out of Heaven. She gives the lyrics so much depth. Also, Say Something.

I would so love to hear Hotel California. :cry:

She does do rock ballads particularly well, I think. Would love to hear her cover Stairway to Heaven.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This move has certainly created a lot of press

Regardless of the real truth articles like this will help shake off the Simon Cowell puppet image and X-factor reality star which has probably put off a lot of serious people in the industry of wanting to work with her.

Even One Direction are regarded as a musical joke or fad by many.

Personally I get the impression Leona has wanted to leave for a while but like any job you don't hand your notice in until you have a new one in the bag.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    This move has certainly created a lot of press

Regardless of the real truth articles like this will help shake off the Simon Cowell puppet image and X-factor reality star which has probably put off a lot of serious people in the industry of wanting to work with her.

Even One Direction are regarded as a musical joke or fad by many.

Personally I get the impression Leona has wanted to leave for a while but like any job you don't hand your notice in until you have a new one in the bag.

I agree. The image in that article certainly favour Leona over Simon. She looks very much in charge. Simon is the one who looks sad.On the whole, this move gives her the initiative and projects a strong image.

A lot of comments on various forums, including this one seem to applaud her.

The stage has been set. It has been handled very intelligently. :)

Now there is just the small matter of producing a career defining album.:D
  • kokoskokos Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just going through Leona's music videos and Bleeding Love is such a perfect song in every way: the lyrics, Leona's voice, the production and the video. I think it really helped the song to become such a huge hit. The video suites the song perfectly. The way Leona moves and looks and the behind stories - just perfect. I still can't understand why did they release that kinda shit in US. I read on youtube that's because of image producer - they wanted to show her as a diva in UK and as a humble girl in US :confused:

What I'm trying to say is that she needs great video too, that will show her new style (as some of you said). And I don't want her to be half-naked and show her ass where ever she can as Beyonce does, but being sexy like she is in BL video wouldn't be bad and could help to get more views :p I really hope she'll get a lot of VEVO promotion too.
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    I know y'all hated this outfit, but she's effing slaying it
    http://i.minus.com/isrqbjG9ykDnH.gif

Her curves, her attitude <3

I loved this outfit! her dark brown hair is amazing but her make-up is awful lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority here because as I recall, most people prefer Echo or GH more, but Spirit is my favorite Leona album. It started everything off, and it's been her most successful album. That's the type of direction I'd love for her to stick with. Sure, not everything has to be R&B or mid-tempo, but I'd love an album that has the majority like that because I think it suits Leona's voice the best.
This discussion has been closed.