Options

Hirsty leaves the Captial Breakfast Show.

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see where he goes next I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the Heart Breakfast Show in Yorkshire in a couple of Months

If he was staying with Global I doubt there would be this abrupt ending to his existing shows.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    If he was staying with Global I doubt there would be this abrupt ending to his existing shows.

Technically he'd be moving to Communicorp in that area, but they're more of a partner than a rival to Global.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perosnally i think if he's moving anywhere it will be the BBC, obviously he's going to have a gardening leave period. What that is ? Who knows but would guess 3 - 6 months minimum.

If its not a move and is genuinely a break i would be very very worried if i were Dixie at Heart Yorkshire. There just seems something funny about it though, no goodbye, no show at gold it has competitor written all over it. They let Simon Bates have a goodbye show on a lot bigger platform.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Grow up, its not contractual just a comment based on the state of play.

Of course! Silly me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I'm led to believe that it's not been a 'snap decision'.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Hirstys facebook page it is more of a personal decision. And on Tony Dibbins page the only one left on gold he says gold is not closing. I think Tony is worried personally but we will see. Hope hirsty does come back on something national so I can enjoy him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His mum died, he's been worried about his cat and he overslept for the first time ever a few weeks ago and I wondered if he was ok. Sounds like he's having a bad run at the mo, bless him. He lives and breathes radio and seems weird he would give it up
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By Hirsty or by Global?
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you would be right. Sometimes we all need go get away and this is one of those times.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Perosnally i think if he's moving anywhere it will be the BBC, obviously he's going to have a gardening leave period. What that is ? Who knows but would guess 3 - 6 months minimum.

If its not a move and is genuinely a break i would be very very worried if i were Dixie at Heart Yorkshire. There just seems something funny about it though, no goodbye, no show at gold it has competitor written all over it. They let Simon Bates have a goodbye show on a lot bigger platform.

I do agree I think he will either go to Heart or Magic AM
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »

I "love" Hirsty but I can't see him on BBC Radio. The BBC are not interested in Radio people, they just want known TV faces and if they happen to be a woman, all the better.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I "love" Hirsty but I can't see him on BBC Radio. The BBC are not interested in Radio people, they just want known TV faces and if they happen to be a woman, all the better.

People say the same about Global.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is it so hard for some people to believe that Hirsty has chosen to leave. Yes he's popular and yes he's well know to have a huge amount of passion for radio and be a massive geek but he's also a normal person.

No matter how much passion you have for something when you've made a living at it for as longas he has then it becomes your job. Like any job you need to get away sometimes and try something else.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    I understand Hirsty is taking time out he has not been forced out by Global.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »

As i hinted above, your understanding is correct.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »

The trouble is, Global's removal of all evidence that he was ever there, (from the Capital / Gold websites) gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that he was pushed.

I hope you are right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    The trouble is, Global's removal of all evidence that he was ever there, (from the Capital / Gold websites) gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that he was pushed.

I hope you are right.

Maybe taken down at his request?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand him needing time off from Breakfast or even deciding to drop it. I would have thought he would have kept the Gold gig A) for money coming in B) He can do it from home C) He genuinely loves music.

I do think there's more to it:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can understand him needing time off from Breakfast or even deciding to drop it. I would have thought he would have kept the Gold gig A) for money coming in B) He can do it from home C) He genuinely loves music.

I do think there's more to it:(

Do you know Hirsty?

If not then how can you possibly say a)how he feels about his shows b)If he wants to spend Sundays doing a radio show.c) if he needs money coming in.

He loves music but he can listen to his music anytime he likes. Whether there is more to it or not (and I suspect not) it's his choice and we should all respect that and stop speculation on something we have no knowledge.

Those who know will probably keep quiet as they should and for the rest of us it's none of our business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that's puzzling me is why there was no "goodbye" show.
    If all was amicable and Simon left of his own accord surely Global would have let him do a final show after 11 years of being one of the best shows on radio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulx23 wrote: »
    The thing that's puzzling me is why there was no "goodbye" show.
    If all was amicable and Simon left of his own accord surely Global would have let him do a final show after 11 years of being one of the best shows on radio?
    Perhaps he didn't want one.

It makes sense not to have one.
  • Options
    podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Why does that make sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    podlover98 wrote: »
    Why does that make sense?

Apart from the personal reason he may not want one why would the station spend the whole breakfast show telling listeners that they might aswell re tune to something else as the show they love will be finishing.

A goodbye show is great for the ego of the presenter but does nothing for the station and listeners. In my expeeience most listeners couldn't give a toss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Apart from the personal reason he may not want one why would the station spend the whole breakfast show telling listeners that they might aswell re tune to something else as the show they love will be finishing.

A goodbye show is great for the ego of the presenter but does nothing for the station and listeners. In my expeeience most listeners couldn't give a toss.
    Absolutely.
    That's why Radio 1 didn't bother when Moyles left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulx23 wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    That's why Radio 1 didn't bother when Moyles left.
    Totally different situation but yea their new breakfast show is really taking off and hasn't lost any listeners has it?