Options

Lost finale- im sorry I really need to rant!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now i had low expectations for the finale. I knew not everything was going to be answered, but a few big table changing answers would have been nice.

Now with most other programmes, like Heroes or Desperate Housewives a character driven end, where we find out what happens to all the characters would have been fine.

But that was not what LOST was ever about, the magic of Lost were all the questions about the island, the numbers and the timetravelling stuff.

When the writers said they would be answering most of the questions... can anyone truely say their top questions were "who would Kate choose... jack or saywer?" or "Will Claire and Charlie ever re-unite?"

No! The questions everyone was wanting answers to were island related... none of which were ever answered. it was just one question after another! NOTHING about the island! NOTHING about the black smoke. NOTHING about the numbers. NOTHING about walt... who seemed integral to everything at the beginning. NOTHING about why children couldnt be born on the island. NOTHING about the time travelling aspect.

I am seriously pissed off... nothing was ever answered. I dont care whether Jack and Kate hooked up in the afterlife!

RANT OVER!

Comments

• Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I kinda feel the same too, they've not answered the questions from the start that got us into the show... such as having babies on the island, who the others were, why did jin see people in rags walking round the jungle with some kids?

Why did the 'others' dress up to venture towards the beach? what was the point...

OK so the numbers were candidates... but that doesn't explain why they're on the hatch in series 1? or why they have to put them into a computer for the entire series 2
    And why Hurleys friend kept repeating them.... I know they're connected to the candidates, but how did Dharma know to use those numbers, and the numbers being broadcast from the tower before Danielles message?
    The statue... when, how, why is that there?

argh there's probably so much more... I dunno what I expected... but overall series 6 has been a major disappointment... Was really rooting for the finale to be amazing ad save it... but it just wasn't.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree. While I did enjoy it, I was growing increasingly tetchy as time went on. I kept thinking "ok, there's still an hour and a half to go, plenty time to answer all these questions..." and then "ok, an hour left, still plenty time..." then "half an hour? Sure that's enough time if they just get on with it..." and finally "oh it's over?? But what about...?"
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    DITTO!! Feel exactly the same as you do
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's always been about the journey rather than the destination folks. a few tears, and off to bed with a smile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the numbers were linked to the characters... but what about the other numbers that we're everywhere?
    Yeah what the **** was the big statue about??

Any other show, and the ending would have been fine. But the magic of the show was never about the characters and a "will they wont they" ross and rachel ending doesnt quite cut it! The show was about the mythology and the sci-fi element. They asked loads of questions to keep us watching... and answered none of them!

Also the purgatory thing... we were lead to believe that Farraday's bomb had caused it... now we find out it didnt. so what was Farraday's bomb all about... how did they get transported to the right time?? It technically re-wrote most of series 5. And how on earth was Aaron born in purgatory???
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    it's always been about the journey rather than the destination folks. a few tears, and off to bed with a smile.

Journey? It's like going on a tour with the guide saying 'I'll tell you what that is when we get to the end' and then jumping off the bus and legging it.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I love how much of it has been left unanswered. We've been allowed to put our own interpretations on it instead, kind of like when you look at a piece of modern art in a gallery. :)
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    Now i had low expectations for the finale. I knew not everything was going to be answered, but a few big table changing answers would have been nice.

Now with most other programmes, like Heroes or Desperate Housewives a character driven end, where we find out what happens to all the characters would have been fine.

But that was not what LOST was ever about, the magic of Lost were all the questions about the island, the numbers and the timetravelling stuff.

When the writers said they would be answering most of the questions... can anyone truely say their top questions were "who would Kate choose... jack or saywer?" or "Will Claire and Charlie ever re-unite?"

No! The questions everyone was wanting answers to were island related... none of which were ever answered. it was just one question after another! NOTHING about the island! NOTHING about the black smoke. NOTHING about the numbers. NOTHING about walt... who seemed integral to everything at the beginning. NOTHING about why children couldnt be born on the island. NOTHING about the time travelling aspect.

I am seriously pissed off... nothing was ever answered. I dont care whether Jack and Kate hooked up in the afterlife!

RANT OVER!

Well i'm sorry but i think you missed the entire point of the show if you thought it was just about an Island and it's mystical properties.

From day 1 Lost has been about people and life. What they came across on the Island was only as relevant as to how it effected their life in the long run.

As for some of your questions, they're easily answered.

1. Children conceived on the Island died because the Statue of Taweret was destroyed in the storm that brought RIchard to the Island. Taweret was the Goddess of childbirth and fertility, her symbol on the Island was destroyed, and so was her power.

2. The numbers were the Valenzetti Equation, used by Jacob to determine who the candidates to take over his job of Island protector would be. The Valenzetti Equation itself dictates when the world would end and were just numbers that featured in every day life.

3. The time travelling was a manipulation of the Island's heart. When Ben turned the wheel, he didn't drop it in place correctly so the Island continued to spin through time until Locke moved the wheel again and locked it into place. The wheel itself was created by The Man In Black in a bid to manipulate the Island's heart with both movement and water, it would not only move the Island but aid him in his struggle to leave.

You should have known though that not everything would have been answered on the show in term of the mythology, but the story's of the people who lived the experience would be the thing that came to an end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to form an interpretation would require one or two answers though! its like giving you a blank puzzle with no picture.. here the pieces. now make it! are you having fun??
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    kegsie wrote: »
    Journey? It's like going on a tour with the guide saying 'I'll tell you what that is when we get to the end' and then jumping off the bus and legging it.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    Well i'm sorry but i think you missed the entire point of the show if you thought it was just about an Island and it's mystical properties.

From day 1 Lost has been about people and life. What they came across on the Island was only as relevant as to how it effected their life in the long run.

As for some of your questions, they're easily answered.

1. Children conceived on the Island died because the Statue of Taweret was destroyed in the storm that brought RIchard to the Island. Taweret was the Goddess of childbirth and fertility, her symbol on the Island was destroyed, and so was her power.

2. The numbers were the Valenzetti Equation, used by Jacob to determine who the candidates to take over his job of Island protector would be. The Valenzetti Equation itself dictates when the world would end and were just numbers that featured in every day life.

3. The time travelling was a manipulation of the Island's heart. When Ben turned the wheel, he didn't drop it in place correctly so the Island continued to spin through time until Locke moved the wheel again and locked it into place. The wheel itself was created by The Man In Black in a bid to manipulate the Island's heart with both movement and water, it would not only move the Island but aid him in his struggle to leave.

You should have known though that not everything would have been answered on the show in term of the mythology, but the story's of the people who lived the experience would be the thing that came to an end.
    I like these interpretations.. however stuff like the valentzi equation is mentioned anywhere in the episodes... nor as to what the statue is. Im not expecting to be fed the answers on a plate.. but unless your a wikipedia expert none of these would have been obvious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't mind seeing the characters "journeys" - I loved seeing Sawyer and Juliette together and Hurley's smilie face when he saw Charlie again, but the fact that they all went into the light at the end to go to heaven or wherever, to me was a wishy washy watered down ending that just didn't do "it" in my opinion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    To all those people that said over the years the writers just made things up as the seasons went on & then forgot its importance. I salute you all.:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    babinaba wrote: »
    I don't mind seeing the characters "journeys" - I loved seeing Sawyer and Juliette together and Hurley's smilie face when he saw Charlie again, but the fact that they all went into the light at the end to go to heaven or wherever, to me was a wishy washy watered down ending that just didn't do "it" in my opinion

Will someone tell me why Sawyer was a cop in the 'afterlife' flash sideways?
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedaddy75 wrote: »

Sawyer/Miles buddy cop spinoff. Nailed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like these interpretations.. however stuff like the valentzi equation is mentioned anywhere in the episodes... nor as to what the statue is. Im not expecting to be fed the answers on a plate.. but unless your a wikipedia expert none of these would have been obvious!

They're not just interpretations, they're answers.

Things like the infertility of the Island could only be explained by us, the audience, via research and such. That's how you explain the statue, because that's what the statue was, if you look at the evidence it's there but wasn't explained to us until we saw the actual statue in full.

It's like baking a cake, they gave us the ingredients and we used them to make a 4 tier wedding cake.

The equation was explained in the Lost Experience game, which is as much canon to the show as any episode is.

It's all there if you look deep enough. I think people will initially be upset by the finale, but you can look back and watch everything, read and watch all the other stuff outside of the episodes like the Lost Experience, and you'll get everything.

In honesty, i'm only 99% pleased with the shows ending.

The only thing i didn't like was Walt's absence, his story absence. Because that's the one thing you cannot answer with evidence or reasonable thinking and such.

But still, i hear a book will come out to explain things like that, so don't despair too much.
  • Options
    DunkragDunkrag Posts: 77
    Forum Member

Any other show, and the ending would have been fine. But the magic of the show was never about the characters and a "will they wont they" ross and rachel ending doesnt quite cut it! The show was about the mythology and the sci-fi element. They asked loads of questions to keep us watching... and answered none of them!

:nuts: Isn't it funny how 2 people can watch the same thing yet see something totally different? :nuts:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because they all got to live out their fantasies in the afterlife. Saywer always wanted to be man of the law, it was evident back when he was in the Dharma initiative!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedaddy75 wrote: »

Because it was the life he made for himself in the purgatory.

Think about it, from a young age Sawyer wanted revenge on the man who was responsible for taking his parents from him, he ended up as a con-artist himself and it ruined his life.

In another life, Detective James Ford can get his revenge the right way by protecting others at risk and ultimately be a good person.
  • Options
    wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just unhappy because they had it in their heads how it will end with wacky outrageous theories!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as i see it, it gave more answers than people might think.

as the island was real life and not everything works out as you would like and untimely deaths affect who you chose.

so in the end we find out who wanted who in the love rectangle/square.

and how the people really felt, it was never gonna be a friends type ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't want a wacky ending, just something a bit more than they all walk into the light and everything is then at peace, it was just......blah (IMO)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlosVela wrote: »

Not quite. The childbirth problems were caused by the incident. We know this because Nathan was born before the incident.
  • Options
    Sue Ellen EwingSue Ellen Ewing Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »

lol:D
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    So if the flashbacks were all what they wanted to be, eg fantasy, Was Jack actually a Doctor?