Duke and Duchess of ?

Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
Forum Member
The Queen will bestow a dukedom on Prince William when he marries in a few hours time. Has the title been announced ?

I guess the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Comments

• Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be Windsor, I think that died when Wallace died, although it is a nice title.

It'll have some connection to Wales, I'm sure. Won't be Snowdon either.

(Running out of fabulous titles)

EDIT: Could be Snowdon actually. I guess we'll find out soon. :)
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Duke and Duchess of Glasgow

OR

Duke and Duchess of Sefton
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no idea, though I did hear on one of the news channels last night that Kate will be known as Princess William of Wales?? did anyone else hear that? apparently as she isnt of 'royal blood' she cannot be known as Princess Catherine...? did i hear correctly?
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duke and Duchess of Widnes.:):o
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Duke and Duchess of Widnes.:):o

lol!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    no idea, though I did hear on one of the news channels last night that Kate will be known as Princess William of Wales?? did anyone else hear that? apparently as she isnt of 'royal blood' she cannot be known as Princess Catherine...? did i hear correctly?

I heard that on the news too, they also said that William wanted to keep his Prince William, name, though of course it will depend on what the Queen decides. I believe it was going to be made public a couple of hours before the wedding.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll be Duke and Duchess of Clarence. Title to be revealed at 8am
  • EEFAN21EEFAN21 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I was expecting them to be given titles similar to Diana and Charles. So assumed Kate would be the new Princess Of Wales.

She will afterall be Queen one day no matter what happens. I think its also what the public want.
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would be correct. Diana was Princess of Wales, not Princess Diana.
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEFAN21 wrote: »
    I was expecting them to be given titles similar to Diana and Charles. So assumed Kate would be the new Princess Of Wales.

She will afterall be Queen one day no matter what happens. I think its also what the public want.

That title isn't vacant.

Camilla is Princess of Wales, although she doesn't use the title for obvious reasons.
  • Wilton ShagpileWilton Shagpile Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    The Queen will bestow a dukedom on Prince William when he marries in a few hours time. Has the title been announced ?

You are right it's official
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duke of Cambridge.
    Earl of Strathearne
    Baron Carrickfergus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their Royal Highnesses the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge as per the BBC.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duke of Cambridge.
    Earl of Strathearne
    Baron Carrickfergus.

Here in Strathearn we spell it without the "e" at the end. I wonder if there are 2 Strathearns ? Any way I hope you all have a great days, those watching:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Here in Strathearn we spell it without the "e" at the end. I wonder if there are 2 Strathearns ? Any way I hope you all have a great days, those watching:D
    Oh that is just my spelling. Lucky to be that close! :)
    So what are people of Strathearn likely to think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that is just my spelling. Lucky to be that close! :)
    So what are people of Strathearn likely to think?

Mostly disinterest I suspect. Some tho will be quite pleased Im sure. Strathearn is a very beautiful part of Perthshire, I would be curious as to why he has been given this particular title.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly disinterest I suspect. Some tho will be quite pleased Im sure. Strathearn is a very beautiful part of Perthshire, I would be curious as to why he has been given this particular title.
    I take it that "Duke of St Andrews" was not available?
    apparently not!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe William will be the Duke of Cambridge since Prince George, 2nd Duke of Cambridge (1819–1904),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Cambridge
  • Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Duke of Earl" was also unavailable :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Duke of Earl" was also unavailable :D
    You could tell us Duke. You must be an expert in these matters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently not!

Dont think St Andrews is an earldom. Strathearn is tho not used for the last 40 odd years.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member

I see my psychic powers didn't fail me ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well guessed *HB claps hands*
    ...Kate will be known as Princess William of Wales?? did anyone else hear that? apparently as she isnt of 'royal blood' she cannot be known as Princess Catherine...? did i hear correctly?

That is correct. What ppl call her of course may be something different but that is what she is officially known as.
    Duke of Cambridge.
    Earl of Strathearne
    Baron Carrickfergus.
    ...I would be curious as to why he has been given this particular title.

These titles add an English, Scottish and N Irish title to the Welsh one he will inherit (actually most likely be bestowed... apparently you don't inherit the P of Wales title) when Charles passes it on (not when Charles passes on... it is thought he will pass on the PoW title a year or two after he ascends to the throne). Thus giving William titles in all four countries... a unifiying thingie... well thought out Mrs Queen :) Like William and Kate visiting all countries over the last few weeks. Got to get to know your kingdon your highnesses !

Glad about the Cambridge title. I have quite a few friends, Cambridge educated, still living there, and not one royalist amongst the lot of them. Grrrrr! That's what you get when you bestow privilege on the unworthy :rolleyes:

Good luck to William and Kate... not long to go... hope they're not feeling too nervous...
  • Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked. Have they ever been to Cambridge? :)
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well called!