Options

UK Netflix getting better

Who else agrees with me that, since it started, the UK Netflix library has gotten much better?

Last year, I was reading posts about how limited the selection was, but now I think we have a wide variety of shows.

Who else thinks the library is expanding gradually very well?

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are doing well considering how difficult the UK market is thanks to Sky and their exclusives. What has helped Netflix is the failure of UK broadcasters to buy some decent imported TV Series hence why we have the likes of Breaking Bad.
  • Options
    Beady Eye 2013Beady Eye 2013 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I actually cancelled my subscription from there because I was enjoying Scrubs and then they took away like 4 series and left the others. When I queried where they had gone they said it was maintenance and when I asked a week later they said it was contract issues.

Plus it was always jumpy on my laptop and the film choice is limited.

Just because they have got Breaking Bad on there doesn't mean all the other problems are justifiable to me.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually cancelled my subscription from there because I was enjoying Scrubs and then they took away like 4 series and left the others. When I queried where they had gone they said it was maintenance and when I asked a week later they said it was contract issues.

Plus it was always jumpy on my laptop and the film choice is limited.

Just because they have got Breaking Bad on there doesn't mean all the other problems are justifiable to me.
    Well the issues with your laptop are either related to the laptop itself or your internet connection so you can't blame Netflix for that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the issues with your laptop are either related to the laptop itself or your internet connection so you can't blame Netflix for that!

Someone sounds offended that not everyone loves Netflix as much as you :D
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone sounds offended that not everyone loves Netflix as much as you :D

I think Peter was merely pointing out that the problems you encountered while viewing Netflix were to do with your laptop or connection and isn't anything that Netflix have any control over:)
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree. Netflix Uk has improved a lot. In fact I mainly use the UK service now and even considered dropping Unblock US and making do with the UK service. If I am watching a series like 24, Prison Break, Breaking Bad that you can get on most regions I always watch on UK. Still a big bonus having Unblock though but I know a lot of people leave it on USA or Canada. Switch it back to UK occasionally and you may be surprised.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Switch it back to UK occasionally and you may be surprised.

I recently switched back to UK Netflix last week and I was certainly surprised. They seem to have more recent films on there now. I would go as far as saying in terms of new films, the UK service is almost on par with Netflix Canada.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Peter was merely pointing out that the problems you encountered while viewing Netflix were to do with your laptop or connection and isn't anything that Netflix have any control over:)

Yes sir! :D
  • Options
    packagespackages Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has one of last years biggest film now: The Hobbit. Can't complain about that!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    packages wrote: »
    It has one of last years biggest film now: The Hobbit. Can't complain about that!

Going to take my PS3 over to my friends place this weekend and we are going to watch it over there. I can't wait.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a lot on the UK or US sites to interest me to be honest, still very limited but I suppose for a fiver a month you can't expect a lot, I think my lad watches a series or two on it. I did watch some Louis Theroux shows again recently when I was ill and enjoyed them. Its pretty much all old stuff I've seen or don't fancy watching but its not a bad 'catchup' service sort of thing.

Are they not making their own shows now?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »

Are they not making their own shows now?

Where you been, have you not heard of their latest Orange Is The New Black? http://youtu.be/nryWkAaWjKg

Previous to that was Hemlock Grove http://youtu.be/rlZUsPcChgI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, two series lol I'm sure they'll improve given time.

Still not a lot on there for me but OK for occasional use I tend to watch more factual programmes and news. I did watch some Doctor Who not long ago and went and got the box set(s).
  • Options
    Forum Member

According to Wikipedia, currently their back catalogue up to now is 15 with another 5 to come within the next year and a half.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, currently their back catalogue up to now is 15 with another 5 to come within the next year and a half.

It could be 50 or a 100 but unless they interest me and others it means nothing. Your a fan of Netflix I think ;)

A lot of what were seen as smaller content providers are now producing some good stuff, SyFi, HBO even.

For me where American companies win is with the length of a series. David Walliams has a new series starting tonight and it may well be good but...six episodes and then (if successful) and if the 'lovies' involved can spare the time, wait another year for another six shows. Look at the likes of The Walking Dead, NCIS, Modern Family et al all quality productions that run for 20+ episodes per season.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still not a lot on there for me but OK for occasional use I tend to watch more factual programmes and news. I did watch some Doctor Who not long ago and went and got the box set(s).

Its more than two. Their first was Lilyhammer which was their test series before putting real money into original series. A second season was commissioned but has been held up

Their first big push was the remake of the UK Series "House of Cards" staring Kevin Spacey and with episodes directed by David Fincher. They beat out both the Network TV channels and the Cable channels for this and it proved to be worth it when it received Emmy Nominations. It has been renewed for a second season

This was followed by Eli Roth's Hemlock Grove. Compared to House of Cards this wasn't great but better than 99% of what Network TV in the US commissions. Its also been renewed

Then they Funded the return of Arrested Development. It looks likely they will also fund a season 5.

Then we just had Orange is the New Black which gained critical praise and has been renewed for a 2nd season.

They were also integral in The Killing coming back from being Cancelled as they helped cofund season 3 with AMC which gave them first run rights outside the US

They also have commissioned a few one off special.

Upcoming they have a few other shows in production. A spinoff of the Animated movie Turbo, A show about Marco Polo from the Weinstein Company that was due for Starz but Starz dropped it due to issues with filming it in China, Another about Pablo Escabar and finally a Scifi show produced by The Wachowskis (Matrix, V for Vendette, Cloud Atlas) and Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5)

They apparently have others in development and have been sniffing around other cancelled shows as well as scripts being shopped around all the usual players so their portfolio of original funded shows is only going keep growing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be 50 or a 100 but unless they interest me and others it means nothing. Your a fan of Netflix I think ;)

A lot of what were seen as smaller content providers are now producing some good stuff, SyFi, HBO even.

For me where American companies win is with the length of a series. David Walliams has a new series starting tonight and it may well be good but...six episodes and then (if successful) and if the 'lovies' involved can spare the time, wait another year for another six shows. Look at the likes of The Walking Dead, NCIS, Modern Family et al all quality productions that run for 20+ episodes per season.

50 or 100? What are you smoking? HBO hasn't produced that many shows in its whole history, infact HBO, Showtime, AMC, Starz, SyFy, TNT and FX combined haven't produced 100 shows.

As for length The Walking Dead hasn't ever produced 20+ episodes (in 3 seasons they have made 35 episodes) and more and more US TV even on broadcast TV is moving to the half season format.

Shows that have over 20+ episodes have varied quality of episodes and will often use second units to produce cheaper episodes that use the main cast in a limited manner. You can't do 20+ episodes in the short space of time they produce them in and have the same level of quality of shorter seasons
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    50 or 100? What are you smoking? HBO hasn't produced that many shows in its whole history, infact HBO, Showtime, AMC, Starz, SyFy, TNT and FX combined haven't produced 100 shows.

As for length The Walking Dead hasn't ever produced 20+ episodes (in 3 seasons they have made 35 episodes) and more and more US TV even on broadcast TV is moving to the half season format.

Shows that have over 20+ episodes have varied quality of episodes and will often use second units to produce cheaper episodes that use the main cast in a limited manner. You can't do 20+ episodes in the short space of time they produce them in and have the same level of quality of shorter seasons

Thanks lol, I just won a fiver off my son from how soon you'd bite :D Many thanks, I'll enjoy the beer.

They (the Americans) do tend to make a longer running series though;)

PS, I don't smoke anything, its all in all a filthy habit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    ok this may sound daft,,i just CANX my net flex from next week,
    the reason!! im enoying my Now TV box so much more..
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes your right it does sound daft ;) CANX & net flex :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks lol, I just won a fiver off my son from how soon you'd bite :D Many thanks, I'll enjoy the beer.

They (the Americans) do tend to make a longer running series though;)

PS, I don't smoke anything, its all in all a filthy habit.

Only on broadcast networks do they make longer seasons. On the cable channels you generally won't see them exceed 13 (And the few that do kind of cheat as the single seasons split into two parts with an extended break between then, a break thats certainly longer than the Christmas break that Network TV takes and in most cases is as long as the Summer break)

And the broadcast networks have 20 episode seasons for necessity. These networks get their funding from advertising and the ad rates are largely decided during a number of week long periods called sweeps. They need their big shows to be on the air during these periods so they need to extend the seasons. Additionally as its Ad based they are very quick to cancel shows so they need to make sure their popular shows can take up the slack otherwise their schedules would be very light.

This necessity however doesn't result in improved quality rather it sees a reduction in overall quality. Its why cable with their lower season orders are held in a much higher regard that broadcast networks shows (and also one of the reasons broadcast networks are commissioning more limited run seasons even if that means having to commission two shows rather than just one to cover that timeslot all season)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait till your introductory offer to NowTV ends and you end up either having to pay £15 a month or having a Box with limited use outside being a PLEX streamer for your local content.

Its where the Now TV box ends up being false economy really. It makes more sense to buy the RokuLT box that the NowTV box basically is so you can use Netflix.

Wouldn't be as bad if NowTV was worth the £15 but the video quality is awful compared to either Netflix or Lovefilm. I know they have newer movies but there isnt enough to offset the awful picture quality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Only on broadcast networks do they make longer seasons. On the cable channels you generally won't see them exceed 13 (And the few that do kind of cheat as the single seasons split into two parts with an extended break between then, a break thats certainly longer than the Christmas break that Network TV takes and in most cases is as long as the Summer break)

And the broadcast networks have 20 episode seasons for necessity. These networks get their funding from advertising and the ad rates are largely decided during a number of week long periods called sweeps. They need their big shows to be on the air during these periods so they need to extend the seasons. Additionally as its Ad based they are very quick to cancel shows so they need to make sure their popular shows can take up the slack otherwise their schedules would be very light.

This necessity however doesn't result in improved quality rather it sees a reduction in overall quality. Its why cable with their lower season orders are held in a much higher regard that broadcast networks shows (and also one of the reasons broadcast networks are commissioning more limited run seasons even if that means having to commission two shows rather than just one to cover that timeslot all season)

So they tend to make longer running series than the UK broadcasters.

I lived in the States for a time and overall their programme quality is very poor but then you get good runs of consistently good shows thrown in the mix.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who else agrees with me that, since it started, the UK Netflix library has gotten much better?
    become
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    packages wrote: »

That suprised me, and if they have more like that, it well worth it