Options

BBC and Molly reaction to 2014 result

scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ken Bruce has pledged to keep off the Eurovision topic today, but he did say "everyone felt very sorry for Molly"

I suspect everyone else is licking wounds, I've not heard much else

Comments

• Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at Milly's twitter feed she congrads Austria , thanks everyone then says its time to party.
    The next day on her twitter feed someone from another country shows her how the signal was lost during her song , she is surprised and she draws it to BBC Eurovisions attention
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria McErlane said Graham had told her that Molly was "a bit boo-hoo" and upset after the result.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised the poor girl is upset. Her career is now over. Even people who were singing her praises before and saying she was going to win are now saying how bad she, her song and performance were and that she deserved to flop. The BBC will no doubt find people desperate enough to risk it all next year. Ratings were up and that is really all they are interested in.
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand Molly being upset about the result, but she is in a better position now than she was before the contest. More people now know about Molly and her music and more people are following her career now. If Molly comes out with a good album there is no reason why she can't find success here in the UK.
  • Options
    s_mirages_mirage Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised she is upset. Her career is now over. Even people who were singing her praises before and saying she was going to win are now saying how bad she, her song and performance were and that she deserved to flop.

That's a bit over dramatic IMO. The performance wasn't the best but was by no means bad, the main problem was that the song was a bit generic. Despite popular opinion here it was not viewed as a favourite by everyone outside of the UK. There were plenty of people elsewhere expressing bemusement at why it was being so hyped. Despite that, it was a credit worth attempt and she can still use this as a launchpad for bigger things. What she needs to do now is get over it and move on. To quote Rocky:

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody!"
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she did about the same as Lindsay Dracass who now has a successful career as a backing singer. And Nicki French who is still in the business. Her career isn't 'over'. necessarily... But this shows the danger of the BBC and others getting wildly caried away about our chances when the song is very average.. When reality hits it's much harder to bear when people have been telling you you're a contender to win. People at the BBC should've prepared her for a probable middling result. but I suspect they fuelled her expectations that top 10 was a cert. and a win very possible She still did better than Bonnie Tyler and will score a bigger hit next week than Believe In Me ever was..
  • Options
    philip6philip6 Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    She certainly wasn't crying in the green room - I could see her from my seat! - In fact she was passing the wine around with gay abandon for a bit of it!!
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    She was a tad upset, but she composed herself and had a drink with the gay mafia, Ruth (who felt REALLY sorry for her) and Emmelie De Forest. To say her career is over is a bit premature, she has a debut album coming out with WMG and is touring with it so all hope is not lost.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised the poor girl is upset. Her career is now over.

Oh I don't know, it could be worse - she could have won X-Factor, then she'd really be in a career death-spiral! :D
    Even people who were singing her praises before and saying she was going to win are now saying how bad she, her song and performance were and that she deserved to flop.

Yes, but those are just opinionated numpties on the internet and they don't really count! :p

The BBC will no doubt find people desperate enough to risk it all next year. Ratings were up and that is really all they are interested in.

I'm sure they will!
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    She was a tad upset, but she composed herself and had a drink with the gay mafia, Ruth (who felt REALLY sorry for her) and Emmelie De Forest. To say her career is over is a bit premature, she has a debut album coming out with WMG and is touring with it so all hope is not lost.

Her album won't necessarily happen... but she seems to have a good PR machine. As long as she continues paying for it, going to the summer festivals and stays in the public eye (AKA not just recording!)
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    Oh I don't know, it could be worse - she could have won X-Factor, then she'd really be in a career death-spiral! :D

Maybe lol but my friend that I invited over to watch Eurovision who it has to be said did not make it a pleasant experience, told me some horrifying news that night that I am kind of not happy about. My belief is that X Factor is crap and detrimental to the artists career! lol

The news was that Paul Akister who famously got knocked back last year espite having the best voice etc out of the boys, IS coming back this year AND has lost a load of weight - this just makes me sad. You get knocked back by Louis and some other pop rejects, you have a good voice and they ignore it - you are not the worst looker or performer but you still get rejected! I really wish he had not done this but it goes to show what the X Factor can do to you as a person - that just depresses me :( Paul Akister is from my home town by the way to make it make more sense!

I thought he was a good looking guy at his biggest and he just needed a reaffirmation of his abilties to be hoenst by real music people and not Louis Walsh! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thaliafan wrote: »
    Her album won't necessarily happen... but she seems to have a good PR machine. As long as she continues paying for it, going to the summer festivals and stays in the public eye (AKA not just recording!)

Her album is definitely happening, she's tweeted pictures in Warner studios and in Sweden recording various parts to it which involves an orchestra, its going through the mastering process, those who say it isn't happening really have no idea.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like I can take it on the chin when we do shit because we usually deserve it, but this year was a different story. I do feel bad for Molly because she definitely did not deserve that outcome. Fair play her final performance wasn't the best we had seen of her, but I'd still go as far as saying it was Top 10 worthy. It's like she put in a lot of hard work and wasn't paid for it. The love online for her was overwhelming so it's a little confusing that none of that transferred into votes. Perhaps politics played a big role this year, i'm really not sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I feel like I can take it on the chin when we do shit because we usually deserve it, but this year was a different story. I do feel bad for Molly because she definitely did not deserve that outcome. Fair play her final performance wasn't the best we had seen of her, but I'd still go as far as saying it was Top 10 worthy. It's like she put in a lot of hard work and wasn't paid for it. The love online for her was overwhelming so it's a little confusing that none of that transferred into votes. Perhaps politics played a big role this year, i'm really not sure

I agree with you Toy_Hero and, whilst I don't even want to contemplate why, I do fear for next years entry! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed with the above post, normally I really wouldn't care after a while, Blue, Bonnie, Humperdink, Jade etc, but Molly certainly deserved better I've taken a shine to her music, she's very talented and put in a lot of hard work, very hard to take this year.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great song, it just wasn't our time sadly. Look at any year of Eurovision, and you'll see loads of great songs that don't qualify/don't do well in the final. There's no reason to over analyse it all or worry about the future. It's just the nature of the competition. As long as we keep trying, we'll be fine. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »

I agree with you Toy_Hero and, whilst I don't even want to contemplate why, I do fear for next years entry! :( I don't get the love online or the hatred for our entry? It is so odd all round. After the contest everyone is saying that they now see why she sid not do well, but she sang better than Aram for sure, however on top of that she was scuppered by bad camera work at the end of the day! The jury rehearsal that I saw was so much better and why did (at the very least) Germany and Lithuania get bad reception - Germany I believe was down perhaps to bad weather?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    It was a great song, it just wasn't our time sadly. Look at any year of Eurovision, and you'll see loads of great songs that don't qualify/don't do well in the final. There's no reason to over analyse it all or worry about the future. It's just the nature of the competition. As long as we keep trying, we'll be fine. :)

That sentiment is fine and I agree to a cetain extent - but just how many people will sign up to do this next year now - BB asking or not - ? I can't imagine a lot of BBC introducing artist who watched Molly's progress to see the weigh of the land so to speak would be keen to get on board - that is my biggest worry of the outcome of 2014 :(
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She wrote and sang the song so why should we feel sorry for her? It wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    She wrote and sang the song so why should we feel sorry for her? It wasn't good enough.

No one is saying you should though? It just so happens others liked Molly and the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

I might have added a response to that ok fair enough if you had added in our opinion. However what is annoying for me personally is how well she did in ALL of the fansites polls which we normally are crap in and to come top of the ESCNATION poll is the most galling - in that that is a poll for which no one can vote for their own country! Soe of the others you can and let's not get into OGAE!
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Look at any year of Eurovision, and you'll see loads of great songs that don't qualify/don't do well in the final.

Absolutely.

Eurovision's Molly: 'I was grateful for the Curly Wurly cake in the end'
    By Catherine Earp and Daniel Sperling
    Monday, May 12 2014, 22:32 BST

http://i1.cdnds.net/14/19/618x393/picture-1.png

The UK's Eurovision contestant Molly has spoken to Digital Spy about her cake reaction going viral.

The singer was caught off-guard when Eurovision host Lise Rønne presented her with a Curly Wurly cake from her local bakery during an interview. Her reaction caused a stir on social media with many users poking fun at the face she pulled.

Speaking to DS at the X-Men: Days of Future Past premiere in London tonight, Molly responded to the internet humour. "Of all the things to start trending!" she said. "I loved the little captions on my cake face, like, 'What have you done with my gran?'

"They did warn me, 'This interview is going to be a little different, but it's nothing to worry about'. Then she came over and said, 'You like cake?' and I was like, 'What? This is weird'. It was just not what I was expecting at all."

When asked if she actually ate the cake, the 27-year-old said: "Every little bit of it went. When the show was over I let my hair down, had loads to drink and, oh my God, I just went in.

"It got completely demolished. I think everyone was quite grateful for the cake in the end."

Molly also gave her opinion on the competition's winner Conchita. "I'm so happy for her," she said. "I think she was always the favourite, and we knew we weren't going to win competing against Conchita."

The singer further addressed suggestions Conchita could be a Bond Girl. "No way! Wow, ok, brilliant. It's not something I would ever have expected, but why not? It's 2014, anything can happen."

She added: "She's got the figure, 100%. I can imagine her doing the Bond theme. That would be pretty cool."

Eurovision's Molly: 'We were all hoping for a spot in the top 10'
    By Catherine Earp
    Tuesday, May 13 2014, 06:37 BST

Molly Smitten-Downes has spoken about her disappointment at her Eurovision placing.

The 27-year-old performed 'Children of the Universe' at the annual song contest over the weekend and was placed 17th out of 26, after being awarded 40 points.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Molly admitted that she got caught up in the hype surrounding her and her song.

"We tried to keep our feet on the ground and not get sucked in to [the hype], but you do," she explained. "I think all of us were hoping for the top 10 and we thought we were going to do that.

"It wasn't just our press, it was European press and bloggers saying we were the favourites, and it just seemed very real. So I guess, yeah, we were disappointed."

The singer also spoke against the booing of Russian participants Tolmachevy Sisters as their scores were read.

"I didn't like it," she said. "I think it shouldn't be about the politics. I guess that's where I was maybe a bit naive to think that it could be just about the music.

She added: "They're just 17-year-old girls. The politics of Russia, that's another thing - they're not politicians and I felt for them a little bit. It's a bit of a shame."

from twitter/facebook I guess -

THANK YOU everyone for all your wonderful messages of support after Sat's performance. Any disappointment we may have felt with the voting has been COMPLETELY overshadowed by them. I can honestly say those 3 mins on that stage performing Children of the Universe, with an outstanding band and team behind me, were the best 3 minutes of my LIFE! I can't wait to make and share more music with you. What a priceless experience You are all incredible, THANK YOU
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Her album is definitely happening, she's tweeted pictures in Warner studios and in Sweden recording various parts to it which involves an orchestra, its going through the mastering process, those who say it isn't happening really have no idea.

Marketing and promotion is often more expensive than the recording process. Also, if they're planning for the end of the year they wouldn't sit in on for that long so the mastering process will not be final or for all of the tracks. Usually it is at once.

They don't have to release it, depends on her contract. She might have a pay off, or simply, a clause that states that the process can be cancelled at any time.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »
    Marketing and promotion is often more expensive than the recording process. Also, if they're planning for the end of the year they wouldn't sit in on for that long so the mastering process will not be final or for all of the tracks. Usually it is at once.

They don't have to release it, depends on her contract. She might have a pay off, or simply, a clause that states that the process can be cancelled at any time.

She has as, far as I 'm aware, an album deal with the condition of three singles. It's serving more as a distribution deal as she's made the majority of the album off her own back. WMG have come in to essentially only distribute, but we'll see what they do promotion wise with her next single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has as, far as I 'm aware, an album deal with the condition of three singles. It's serving more as a distribution deal as she's made the majority of the album off her own back. WMG have come in to essentially only distribute, but we'll see what they do promotion wise with her next single.

She has a one album deal - so that means if it does not do well she is out of there. I jus hoep the people happy with how things have gone this year sign up for her album as it is really important that we do? Without some success for #mollysd, who would do it next year - do not say Robbie Williams or I might just finally top myself!