Options

Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September

Comments

• Options
    Gary_LevineGary_Levine Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I cancelled Sky back in 2009. Came back as a new customer in June 2012 and was given 12 months on variety at half price for 15 months.

Once the 15 months had expired, was then offered £15.50 per month for the variety and am still on it to this very day.

I have no intention of paying the full whack for the variety pack at £29 per month. If they don't discount this package, then it will be goodbye Sky for good.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cancelled Sky back in 2009. Came back as a new customer in June 2012 and was given 12 months on variety at half price for 15 months.

Once the 15 months had expired, was then offered £15.50 per month for the variety and am still on it to this very day.

I have no intention of paying the full whack for the variety pack at £29 per month. If they don't discount this package, then it will be goodbye Sky for good.

Okay. As before, if you don't feel it's worth the cost then don't have it.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am leaving sky after 25 years. It is really going to be a sad day when i turn on the tv and channels that i used to watch are no longer there. But due to things beyond my control and nothing to do with sky i am having to leave.

I would have happily kept subscribing regardless of what the price was. Though saying that sky should understand that subscribers arent giving them a blank cheque to put prices up and sooner rather than later subscribers will cut their losses and cancel sky
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Now I know that price increases are never popular but look at it, it's actually starting to feel illogical even from Sky's point of view this time!
    People who naysay and say it's only £1 and £2 etc don't seem too concerned about the big picture that the incremental price rises have turned Sky's subscription options into rather a goliath proposition, and you can't hit back by pointing out inflation, we all know that money's value has gone down in real time but many previous posts about Sky's historic prices have pointed out, Sky's rises have collectively over the years gone up quite a bit beyond regular inflation being taken into account!

I'm holding out some hope that the tide is beginning to turn a little bit
    Some are even baulking at the cost of Sky Sports even though that seems very resillient to losing subscribers because as long as it has the football etc that people want it seems to not matter., Sky Movies I wonder why it couldn't possibly be a different story, reruns of older films only a few newer films of interest really and a ridiculous charge both to see the Sky Movies channels and to watch them in HD. I looked at todays schedules for Sky Movies and there were older films galore, most of which we'd have all already seen, Antz, Never Been Kissed, The Lord Of The Rings films, My Best Friend's Wedding, Hook & Men In Black amongst them, there are so many other options to see films, particularly these sorts of films including in HD that there's less and less need for the Sky Movies service as it is, even with the on demand abillity they've added to it. The main justification for Sky Movies inflated price seems to center around their newer films, there's only a handful of them if that you'd want to watch, that's certainly what I found, it's not even Sky Movies fault, Hollywood just doesn't seem to be what it was at the moment!

A more realistic price would have to be around £30 per month for Sky Movies in HD I would think. £50 is a particular psychological barrier for me with the premium channels, £40 is only just about worth it without being seen as expensive.

Netflix is only £6 a month and offers any movies it does have in full HD for no extra charge at all, although it could change I'm sure. Sky has to wait a year anyway before it can show movies on Sky Movies and then after another year they start appearing on the likes of Netflix, is it really worth you paying something like £46 a month extra just because of that, so you can watch films a year earlier than they start to appear through cheaper routes, life's too short to waste money on something so trivial perhaps, you could actually wait another year and see those films and have so much more in your pocket! It would be cheaper just to buy them on DVD and Blu-Ray after a few months second hand too! And then you'd have them permanently, not to mention that you can pretty much get any film off the internet in 1080p anyway! So I'm hoping that Sky Movies will be the first to crack, I've never heard of so many people talking about cancelling, I know you get it every year but this year seems pretty significant for some reason, people have perceived that Sky isn't really offering anything extra for the money and of course they are right, weakest premise ever. This year has seen the launch of the boring ITV Encore repeating programmes that were quite happy to be on ITV3 anyway, the launch of Sky Sports 5 which is a drab channel offering less than significant european football as its headline whilst people are fully aware that next season Sky Sports will be losing the Champions League anyway, and there hasn't even been many significant additions of channels in HD, such as Gold HD, Yesterday HD or Drama HD that could launch potentially.

I will be trying to persuade as many people as possible that they don't need to pay £50 a month for Sky and to ditch premium channels.
    I now have pan european motorised satellite TV instead of funding Sky to the tune of £50 a month, look what else you could do with your money!
  • Options
    corh5corh5 Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Now I know that price increases are never popular but look at it, it's actually starting to feel illogical even from Sky's point of view this time!
    People who naysay and say it's only £1 and £2 etc don't seem too concerned about the big picture that the incremental price rises have turned Sky's subscription options into rather a goliath proposition, and you can't hit back by pointing out inflation, we all know that money's value has gone down in real time but many previous posts about Sky's historic prices have pointed out, Sky's rises have collectively over the years gone up quite a bit beyond regular inflation being taken into account!

Some are even baulking at the cost of Sky Sports even though that seems very resillient to losing subscribers because as long as it has the football etc that people want it seems to not matter., Sky Movies I wonder why it couldn't possibly be a different story, reruns of older films only a few newer films of interest really and a ridiculous charge both to see the Sky Movies channels and to watch them in HD. I looked at todays schedules for Sky Movies and there were older films galore, most of which we'd have all already seen, Antz, Never Been Kissed, The Lord Of The Rings films, My Best Friend's Wedding, Hook & Men In Black amongst them, there are so many other options to see films, particularly these sorts of films including in HD that there's less and less need for the Sky Movies service as it is, even with the on demand abillity they've added to it. The main justification for Sky Movies inflated price seems to center around their newer films, there's only a handful of them if that you'd want to watch, that's certainly what I found, it's not even Sky Movies fault, Hollywood just doesn't seem to be what it was at the moment!

A more realistic price would have to be around £30 per month for Sky Movies in HD I would think. £50 is a particular psychological barrier for me with the premium channels, £40 is only just about worth it without being seen as expensive.

Netflix is only £6 a month and offers any movies it does have in full HD for no extra charge at all, although it could change I'm sure. Sky has to wait a year anyway before it can show movies on Sky Movies and then after another year they start appearing on the likes of Netflix, is it really worth you paying something like £46 a month extra just because of that, so you can watch films a year earlier than they start to appear through cheaper routes, life's too short to waste money on something so trivial perhaps, you could actually wait another year and see those films and have so much more in your pocket! It would be cheaper just to buy them on DVD and Blu-Ray after a few months second hand too! And then you'd have them permanently, not to mention that you can pretty much get any film off the internet in 1080p anyway! So I'm hoping that Sky Movies will be the first to crack, I've never heard of so many people talking about cancelling, I know you get it every year but this year seems pretty significant for some reason, people have perceived that Sky isn't really offering anything extra for the money and of course they are right, weakest premise ever. This year has seen the launch of the boring ITV Encore repeating programmes that were quite happy to be on ITV3 anyway, the launch of Sky Sports 5 which is a drab channel offering less than significant european football as its headline whilst people are fully aware that next season Sky Sports will be losing the Champions League anyway, and there hasn't even been many significant additions of channels in HD, such as Gold HD, Yesterday HD or Drama HD that could launch potentially.

I will be trying to persuade as many people as possible that they don't need to pay £50 a month for Sky and to ditch premium channels.
    I now have pan european motorised satellite TV instead of funding Sky to the tune of £50 a month, look what else you could do with your money!

Totally agree costs are soaring at the moment, for the same TV as last year my bill from august is going up by £7 a month (£4 from sky, £3 from BT for HD as free HD has finished). Next year I expect it will rise even more dramatically when BT start charging extra for champions league and sky I'm sure won't reduce sub's.

I'm not convinced competition in the pay TV market is a good thing, especially when focused around sport, since greater competition was introduced my sub's have only gone one way and that's up.
  • Options
    TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don"t think BT will start charging huge amounts for BT sport, i will also be paying £3 p/m for BT sport in HD which i think is a very fair price about 10 pence a day, im guessing it will be about £5 p/m when they get the champions league which is small change compared to sky"s rip of sport"s prices. The only reason i stayed with Sky is they gave me the family pack normally £32 p/m im now on 12 months half price £15.37 ( no contract ) will be very interesting to see next year how Sky can justify £24.50 p/m for sports when they will have a lot less football.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on about sky movies. I got sports and movies for £20 a month for 12 months. Wasn't really bothered about movies but couldn't get the offer without it. Think I've watched about 3 or 4 films in the 3 months I've had it. If I want to watch a film I'll get it on bluray so I get it in 1080p. I only really watch movies on sky if im not that interested in buying it. For me it certainly doesn't offer value for money. Sports is ok because of the premiership football until bt sport takes more packages from sky but then their prices will start to rise even more.
  • Options
    STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    so just when ive cut back my bill to something reasonable .sky add another £4 a month.

isn't this the 2nd price in 2014?

sky isnt worth it anymore ,but is virgin? and im not going freesat or bt ,so maybe i just lose the sports , but i would miss champions league ,not sure what to do!!

will be interesting what sky do with no champions league next season!
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    and of course the other thing is, if we spilt all the packages up into seperate subs, overall people would be paying a lot more, and no doubt saying if they all came under one package it would be cheaper !

I'm about to downgrade as we watch no more than 5 Sky channels, and only a couple regularly. I could see this coming some time ago. I have told Sky time and time again that I will pay a fair price for what I use and will not subsidise channels I do not want / watch. This is also an issue with the HD sub which was justifiable back in 2006 however is now just a lame excuse to make money. If Sky charged a fee per channel this would be much more customer focused and could possibly even make them more money. So down from 'Variety' to 'Original'...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STeely wrote: »
    so just when ive cut back my bill to something reasonable .sky add another £4 a month.

isn't this the 2nd price in 2014?

sky isnt worth it anymore ,but is virgin? and im not going freesat or bt ,so maybe i just lose the sports , but i would miss champions league ,not sure what to do!!

will be interesting what sky do with no champions league next season!

No this is the first. Sky do it every year in September.

Regard Virgin Media, they gain a lot of customers in September because of Skys Price Rises, however they then raise the prices in October for Sky Sports and Movies, and then raise the general prices in February (which then makes a lot of people switch to Sky, who then raise their prices in September)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanbast wrote: »
    Here is a breakdown of the price increases I have just received from Sky:

The Original Bundle - No change
    The Variety Bundle - £2.00
    The Family Bundle - £1.00
    Sky Sports (1 or 2) - No change
    Sky Sports Pack (1 & 2) - £2.50
    Sky Movies (1 or 2) - No change
    Sky Movies Pack (1 & 2) - £0.50
    HD Pack - No change
    Multiscreen - No change

So why is my Variety increase £1.25?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »

You must be on some kind of special offer
  • Options
    Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Part month in August back to normal in September.
  • Options
    TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My family pack is only going up 0.75 pence cos i"m on 12 months half price £15.37
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part month in August back to normal in September.
    Nope, as it says on the reverse of the letter increase per month...
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, as it says on the reverse of the letter increase per month...

Mine was the same increase (Variety pack with legacy discount).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was the same increase (Variety pack with legacy discount).

Ah, that rings a bell as I used to have 4 of the old six subs, which moved into 2 lots of 2 without any increase in price. However as the original bundle is not increasing and variety is going up £1.25 pm I'm going to save myself the cash as we can now dispense with the Cartoon channels.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    how much can I save by removing cartoon/kids channels and Sky Movies? I want the sports channels and Sky Atlantic etc (I never know the name of the packages, sorry - they change often)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how much can I save by removing cartoon/kids channels and Sky Movies? I want the sports channels and Sky Atlantic etc (I never know the name of the packages, sorry - they change often)

you can't remove just the kids channels.
    you can remove sky movies though.

sky atlantic is part of the original bundle, so you could take it down to that - assuming you don't want HD.

http://www.sky.com/products/sky-tv/original-bundle/
  • Options
    kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've reluctantly cancelled Sky Sports due to escalating costs recently. I did it online and an offer popped up for 3 months at 50% discount but my minds made up. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about to downgrade as we watch no more than 5 Sky channels, and only a couple regularly. I could see this coming some time ago. I have told Sky time and time again that I will pay a fair price for what I use and will not subsidise channels I do not want / watch. This is also an issue with the HD sub which was justifiable back in 2006 however is now just a lame excuse to make money. If Sky charged a fee per channel this would be much more customer focused and could possibly even make them more money. So down from 'Variety' to 'Original'...

Downgraded yesterday. Even with Liverpool featuring well on Sky Sports until November I will stay on the Original package now unless a significant discount gets offered my way. Otherwise the only treat we will go for is HD Sky Movies for Christmas.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you can't remove just the kids channels.
    you can remove sky movies though.

sky atlantic is part of the original bundle, so you could take it down to that - assuming you don't want HD.

http://www.sky.com/products/sky-tv/original-bundle/

yes, I have HD. I don't need Sky Movies though. What kind of saving would that involve - I pay £54 per month for the full HD sub including movies and sports.
    Def want to keep the Sports channels as that's why I have Sky.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, I have HD. I don't need Sky Movies though. What kind of saving would that involve - I pay £54 per month for the full HD sub including movies and sports.

You must be on a deal...because the normal price you would be looking at is

£33.00 The Family Bundle (that includes your HD)
    £24.50 Sky Sports
    £8.50 Movies
    £5.25 HD Pack for Sports/Movies

If you could do without HD, you could go down to the original Bundle with Sports and that would be about £43.50.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you would need to have the following then (assuming HD for all)

Family Bundle £33 (includes HD for these channels).
    Sports Pack £24.50
    HD Pack (for sports) £5.25
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you would need to have the following then (assuming HD for all)

Family Bundle £33 (includes HD for these channels).
    Sports Pack £24.50
    HD Pack (for sports) £5.25

So more expensive than current cost of £54 pm.