Has your town been parodied on TV?

union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Following the thread on where you are from, has your town ever been laughed at in a tv show?

Salbates was saying she lived in Worksop, made famous in Maid Marian and Her Merry Men as home to nutters and mud eaters.

The town I moved to had a gameshow named after it two years ago :o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    union_jak wrote:
    Following the thread on where you are from, has your town ever been laughed at in a tv show?

I was born and lived the first 14 years of my life in Liverpool, so definitely yes! :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would'nt say laughed at, but TWIN TOWN made it looked like we were all joyriding, drug taking, rugby player's......great film though boyo
  • union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born and lived the first 14 years of my life in Liverpool, so definitely yes! :D
    Funnily enough, the only thing that comes into my mind right now is Harry Enfield.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COYS wrote:
    I would'nt say laughed at, but TWIN TOWN made it looked like we were all joyriding, drug taking, rugby player's......great film though boyo

that's exactly what I was about to type until you beat me to it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's exactly what I was about to type until you beat me to it!
    great minds think alike

EDIT - and our birthdays are the same...spooky stuff :eek:
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Kidderminster has ever been on TV, unless the Safari Park is being advertised. :)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my hometown featured on A Place By The Sea once, and the couple were shocked at how low the house cost, shame they didnt know about the areas reputation :D:p, we've also been on that digging programme before, where they dig an area for land to find old stuff, cant remember whats it called, extreme archaeology or something lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COYS wrote:

Pretty Shitty City, I say! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plum Bob wrote:
    Pretty Shitty City, I say! ;)

It is, but some would say take the pretty part out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    I don't think Kidderminster has ever been on TV, unless the Safari Park is being advertised. :)
    Strangely enough, Kidderminster was mentioned on Maid Marian, the comedy I said about in the first post!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Lazlo_St_Pierre
    I was born and lived the first 14 years of my life in Liverpool, so definitely yes!
    Funnily enough, the only thing that comes into my mind right now is Harry Enfield.

The Liver Birds & Bread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliasjones wrote:
    The Liver Birds & Bread
    I've heard of them, but I'm too young to have seen them :)
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    union_jak wrote:
    Strangely enough, Kidderminster was mentioned on Maid Marian, the comedy I said about in the first post!

Yay!!! :D
  • SchismSchism Posts: 2,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    union_jak wrote:

Brookside did more damage to liverpool's rep (as if it needed it) imo. Cilla Black pretty much killed it.
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Kay goes on about my town - Chorley
    Also mentioned a few times in Corrie.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Not sure Bolton has ever been Parodied, other than in Phoenix Nights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote:
    Not sure Bolton has ever been Parodied, other than in Phoenix Nights.
    Vernon Kay comes from Bolton, and the Bo Selecta version of him says "Bol-Ton" quite a lot. Do people say "Bol-Ton" to you at all?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    union_jak wrote:
    Vernon Kay comes from Bolton, and the Bo Selecta version of him says "Bol-Ton" quite a lot. Do people say "Bol-Ton" to you at all?

All the time! :D

Actually, Bolton has more than its fair share of famous alumni that do get parodied or self-parody.....Sarah Cox, Sir Ian McKellen, Stu `Stewpot' Francis, Vernon Kay, Peter Kay (no relation) and Paddy McGuinness....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton#Famous_people_from_Bolton
    Forum Member
    aliasjones wrote:
    The Liver Birds & Bread

First one before I was born, but have seen the repeats... disgraceful how in one ep, Bill Kenwright plays a rabid Liverpool fan! :eek:

Second one was quite cool at the time, except for the fact that at least three of the family were Mancs putting on scouse accents (not altogether convincingly, yes you Billy Boswell!) and another was from Birkenhead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    union_jak wrote:

Salbates was saying she lived in Worksop, made famous in Maid Marian and Her Merry Men as home to nutters and mud eaters.

Not yet...............I'm sure it will be :eek:
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeh my home time has been parodied loads on TV

Cracker, City Lights, Rab C Nesbitt and loads others. of Course glasgow is nothing like the tv shows!

Anyway i now live in a posh place which has not been parodied on tv although lots of tv stars live here- maybe that is why!!
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    union_jak wrote:

That's me :D

Plenty of mud eaters here lol

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote:

Cracker, City Lights, Rab C Nesbitt and loads others. of Course glasgow is nothing like the tv shows!

Anyway i now live in a posh place which has not been parodied on tv although lots of tv stars live here- maybe that is why!!

Glasgow is a fab city.........:D
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote:

Cracker,

Although the lead character was presumably a Glaswegian, wasn't it set in Manchester?
    Probly you mean Taggart, which is certainly my image of Glasgow... 'Sarge, there's bin a mudd-dah'. ;)
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Blackpool was shown as a jolly, fun-filled place in the tv series Funland. :rolleyes: