Callback Issues from Multiroom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
Forum Member
edited 30/11/17 - 22:18 in Sky #1
I frequently get asked about issues with 2nd box call backs, so heres a few points to all multiroom subscribers:-

1) all boxes same line same number 24/7 for duration of multiroom

2) if broadband in house, then filters must be fitted to each sky box (just like ur phones)

3) if ex-directory / witheld num then prefix must be inserted in box

4) if any kind of barring on dialing 08 numbers, because of teenagers in house, be advised SKY BOX CALLS BACK ON 0800 (FREEPHONE)

5) if any kind of download, tech issue or resolution with tech dept, takes place? then prefix can disappear!!

FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING IS "NO PREFIX"

TIPS:
prefixes can be added as follows: services - 4 - 01 select - 3 - make sure set to TONE, enter 1470 in prefix, save new settings and system will attempt callback, if fails? retry above

check filters, as they're prone to failure

check modem cable running to ur boxes as kids have habit of unplugging to use playstaions

simple tel test? services - 4 - 7

alternative prefixes to try if on NTL / TELEWEST 1270 or 1570

last but not least?

READ YOUR MAIL FROM SKY!! charges applied after approx 4 months make it a costly error on your part, after all you did agree to T&C

Happy viewing :)

Comments

• rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent Post!

Unfortunately, within a few days, someone will create a new Thread asking exactly the questions you have answered ....

Don't understand the "Ex-Directory" comment. I am XD and do not have Number Withheld: It's a different issue.
  • MadMullaMadMulla Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) and fax machines and other dial-up modems require a filter.

3) Ex-directory, doesn't mean your number is automatically withheld, they are two different services, if you ask for ex-directory, your number will be ex-directory, if you want permanent number withheld, then you must ask for that separate service.

As said above this thread will disappear of the front page, and people will ask again, been happening for years.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a very useful post indeed, a lot of questions related to the info above do come up fairly often.

OP- It might be an idea to ask the Moderators, if this thread could be made a sticky, Sky Multiroom FAQ.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else agree with me, that we should use this thread to answer all multiroom questions and queries? kind of a Sky Multiroom FAQ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea in principle - but a change of Title would be needed - and I don't think that is possible(I asked for this on another Sticky ages ago, to no avail).

Also, people don't bother looking for existing Threads on their Topic before Posting new ones as it is - I suspect those same people aren't likely to look at Stickies. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Good idea in principle - but a change of Title would be needed - and I don't think that is possible(I asked for this on another Sticky ages ago, to no avail).
    I suppose one way around this would be to, let this thread drift down the pages (get the Mods to unsticky it :) ) and then start a new one with the tittle "Sky Multiroom FAQ". Whether the Mods and other DS members would go this idea, is another matter though.

It would also probably take a lot of encouraging and redirecting of new/existing forum members on to such a thread to start with. But as soon as the thread is up and running like the other sticky thread "Software Update FAQ" I'm sure it will benfit the Sky forum.
    rai uno wrote:
    Also, people don't bother looking for existing Threads on their Topic before Posting new ones as it is - I suspect those same people aren't likely to look at Stickies. :(
    This is one thing that annoys me a little, whenever I start a new thread/discussion, I always try to find a existing thread (if possible) and update it, rather than starting a new duplicate thread. I see this as respecting the forums, and fellow forum members who have to answer the questions being asked.

Anyway back to my idea above, lets see what support we get for it, before making any decisions. :):)
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps heading it as Phone connection and Multiroom FAQ and making it a sticky in both the Sky and Sky+ forums
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    For the Rep of Ireland if you have a witheld number you need to insert 142 if you are with Eircom, for your phone number to be sent to Sky with the callback
  • Flagg613Flagg613 Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bt internet as well as multiroom and for some reason i cannot have sky connected to my phone line while i'm on internet....Tried putting a filter on at phone socket and connecting sky to it that does'nt work,no matterw hat i try it does'nt seem to work.

Anyone know how to get both working at same time?

Thanks in advance.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    When you say BT Internet, you do mean broadband, right?

Do you have filters on ALL extension sockets in your home?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maccy wrote:
    When you say BT Internet, you do mean broadband, right?

Do you have filters on ALL extension sockets in your home?

Yes i have broadband and i have filters on the phone socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, dunno if it will help, but i/ve noticed with some broadbands, if you have several items plugged into one BT socket, ie: tel / sky / computer, it can cause weird problems to happen, i found that usually if you plug in computer then sky then tel it normally works okay.

Anyways good luck:)
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, dunno if it will help, but i/ve noticed with some broadbands, if you have several items plugged into one BT socket, ie: tel / sky / computer, it can cause weird problems to happen, i found that usually if you plug in computer then sky then tel it normally works okay.

Anyways good luck:)
    If you mean plugging one ADSL filter into the socket, and then plugging several things like phone & sky into the 'phone' socket on the filter then yes, that will cause problems. You need one ADSL filter for each connected device, or a master filter at the master socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i have a two way adapter in the main phone socket, then an extension lead going upstairs to the filter, then the pc plugged into it along with the phone.

So with the pc being upstairs, the sky lead is downstairs, what would be the best way to set it up?
    Forum Member
    Flagg613 wrote:
    Well i have a two way adapter in the main phone socket, then an extension lead going upstairs to the filter, then the pc plugged into it along with the phone.

So with the pc being upstairs, the sky lead is downstairs, what would be the best way to set it up?
    That should work, assuming that you also have a filter on the downstairs leg of the connection, at the Sky box. Everything connected to the line must be connected via a filter, even if only one side of the filter (phone or PC) is used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote:
    That should work, assuming that you also have a filter on the downstairs leg of the connection, at the Sky box. Everything connected to the line must be connected via a filter, even if only one side of the filter (phone or PC) is used.

Thanks for the advice, I did'nt have one fitted downstairs, fitted one and now it's all working.

Thanks for all the help.
    Forum Member
    Flagg613 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I did'nt have one fitted downstairs, fitted one and now it's all working.

Thanks for all the help.
    Great, I'm glad it helped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Us Sky engineers (sorry technicians for the pedantic p***ks on this forum) have just been given another prefix of 1360 for customers on the Talk Talk phone network. Hope this is useful :-)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    wirralan wrote:
    Us Sky engineers (sorry technicians for the pedantic p***ks on this forum)

Do you mean 'installers'?, no disrespect, and you might be an exception?, but it would be EXCEEDINGLY rare to find one with any engineering or technicical skills or qualifications.

But the vast majority are taken off the dole, given a few days inept training, and send out to fit dishes!.

I must admit though to meeting one clued up 'installer', he was actually ex-Army, so was an Army trained 'technician' (he actually had been doing satellite comms in the Army).

But it's damn rare!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely right, Nigel.

It's like doing a First Aid Course then calling yourself a Doctor.

All these Vocations are worthwhile, but they are simply not the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    And my point is proved :-)
  • merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Excellent Post!

Unfortunately, within a few days, someone will create a new Thread asking exactly the questions you have answered ....

Don't understand the "Ex-Directory" comment. I am XD and do not have Number Withheld: It's a different issue.

I have two lines one is xd ,BT have always withheld the outgoing number on xd line,its their policy to do this.

bob wrexham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my experience Bob - Each time I have moved house and requested xd status on my new Line, they have asked whether we also wish to have our number withheld.
    Forum Member
    I am ex directory and have never been asked by BT whether my number should be withheld or not. It is always shown to people that I call.
    Forum Member
    merlodlliw wrote:
    I have two lines one is xd ,BT have always withheld the outgoing number on xd line,its their policy to do this.

bob wrexham

Utter tosh I'm afraid Bob.....see my last post.