EastEnders Declining

Comments

• Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of when your boss is away on holiday and everyone just dosses around and does the bare minimum. I get the feeling working on EE is quite a bit easier compared to the other soaps. It comes across that way on screen, like everyone just doesn't give a damn. They won their awards as best soap and now its like they can just do what they like.

The new producer could certainly do with giving an interview as to his plans and a little glimpse into future storylines because many viewers are on the verge of switching off and need to see if its worth investing any more time watching unless they have something to look forward too. I can't remember the last time EE gave any info regards future plots.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is good at the moment:)
  • NoxyNoxy Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite offensive actually to call the Donna story 'rubbish'. It's the story of a disabled woman who wants to have children but is thwarted by several factors. I got teary hearing Donna talking about how she's in pain every night, so how could she look after a baby etc. Lisa Hammond is brilliant and so underused.

As for Michelle Fowler - she left over 20 years ago and she ain't coming back. GeekEnders need to get over it and move on.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    It was mediocre. The whole plot was just completely random in my opinion. The shows direction is very concerning at the moment, it's asif it's just plodding along, with no plan, making up everything as it goes along. I couldn't really tell you what's coming up in the future, and what characters will be playing a big part, because it feels like the show has just gone to sleep.

I think it's realistic. We knew Paul was leaving but his death was out of the blue which is how death feels in reality.
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No stunts needed.
    Im really enjoying EastEnders at the moment. This week showed what the show excels at, gritty truth based drama.

Im hoping we hear from the new guvnor Sean O Connor about his plans for the show.

Kat and Alfie may come back but wont be for ages. Not til after RedWater has aired.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's decent but not Spectacular
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No soap is spectacular on a weekly basis.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    Noxy wrote: »
    I think it's quite offensive actually to call the Donna story 'rubbish'. It's the story of a disabled woman who wants to have children but is thwarted by several factors. I got teary hearing Donna talking about how she's in pain every night, so how could she look after a baby etc. Lisa Hammond is brilliant and so underused.

As for Michelle Fowler - she left over 20 years ago and she ain't coming back. GeekEnders need to get over it and move on.

I actually thought the scene between Kim and Donna was really good, but what could have been a really interesting plot was ruined by getting Vincent involved as being the potential father. The story became about a brother getting his sister pregnant rather than being about a lonely, vulnerable disabled woman wanting a baby to fill a hole in her life.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    Kats brief return may have been good. But when her and Alfie were in the show on a permanant basis it was just tedious.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show still has some deadwood in it.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keibro wrote: »
    No stunts needed.
    Im really enjoying EastEnders at the moment. This week showed what the show excels at, gritty truth based drama.

Im hoping we hear from the new guvnor Sean O Connor about his plans for the show.

Kat and Alfie may come back but wont be for ages. Not til after RedWater has aired.

Sean O'Connor is not DTC - he will be very different in his communication with the audience- for a start he does use social media.
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I actually thought the scene between Kim and Donna was really good, but what could have been a really interesting plot was ruined by getting Vincent involved as being the potential father. The story became about a brother getting his sister pregnant rather than being about a lonely, vulnerable disabled woman wanting a baby to fill a hole in her life.

Yes and no. If Donna and Vincent were biologically rated then yes, I think I wouldn't have been able to move past that. But as they're not, I'm torn by it. It's icky for sure, but at the same time it really brings home how desperate for a baby Donna is, and what a good 'brother' Vincent is to do something so massive for her. It's made me like both characters a lot more than I used to.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the summer, why is anyone surprised.
  • Fallon9Fallon9 Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Kats brief return may have been good. But when her and Alfie were in the show on a permanant basis it was just tedious.

Not tedious. Anyway SOC is a Slater man and produced Kat at her best. He'd likely have much better ideas for her than the last 3 producers. Just because some previous producers gave her weak stories doesn't mean SOC would especially when he's a fan of the character. And the character is brilliant.

The return wasn't good because it was brief it was good because she was given strong material which could just as easily happen on a permanent basis under a good producer who values her.

Personally I loved watching Kat under Newman although the show was weak Kat is just a very watchable character. On the other hand I have found Ian and Jane completely tedious for about a year.
    Forum Member
    Well I'll give SOC the benefit of the doubt and let's see what Redwater is like, but right now I feel that both Kat and Alfie are completely exhausted and nothing more can be done with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'll give SOC the benefit of the doubt and let's see what Redwater is like, but right now I feel that both Kat and Alfie are completely exhausted and nothing more can be done with them.

I feel like that about other characters on the show whereas Kat particularly has a lot more to offer. Especially under SOC with the Slaters being rebuilt.

I just think a lot of time on this forum people think characters are worthless because they don't personally like them or enjoy them when in a big ensemble everybody has different characters they feel entertained or bored by. Kat is still a very popular character and her return was very well received. She doesn't feel any more exhausted than any other long serving character to me but I personally find her a lot more enjoyable to watch than most when the material is there.
    Forum Member
    Fallon9 wrote: »
    I feel like that about other characters on the show whereas Kat particularly has a lot more to offer. Especially under SOC with the Slaters being rebuilt.

I just think a lot of time on this forum people think characters are worthless because they don't personally like them or enjoy them when in a big ensemble everybody has different characters they feel entertained or bored by. Kat is still a very popular character and her return was very well received. She doesn't feel any more exhausted than any other long serving character to me but I personally find her a lot more enjoyable to watch than most when the material is there.

But what else can be done with her? She's been through ten characters' worth of material for just over ten years (in total).
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't necessarily find it boring, more frustrating. I know Eastenders is dark, but it's TOO dark right now. It's constant and it doesn't seem to let up. There are a lot of average wooden actors right now too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what else can be done with her? She's been through ten characters' worth of material for just over ten years (in total).

Couldn't you say the same about so many other characters though? I don't see this as any more a problem for Kat than several others

She could run a new business with or without Alfie now she has the lottery money. There was a brilliant thread last year full of fantastic suggestions for what kind of business she could operate.

Luke could join EastEnders and there could be lots of possibilities there.

Kat and Belinda dynamic could be hilarious and fun yet there could be a lot of deeper and complex material to explore between them too.

She could take on a more matriarchal role as they build the Slaters back up again. With more family around her more natural story development would come.

They could build up friendships more. I really liked her and Linda together and thought they had great chemistry. Also really enjoyed the episide with Kat, Linda, Shirley and Kim in the Vic. She works well with so many different characters if they let her have that interaction.

She's a really good character so it's not even just about the stories it's the great characterisation too. She's very watchable and imo still the strongest female character they have.
    Forum Member
    Fallon9 wrote: »
    Couldn't you say the same about so many other characters though? I don't see this as any more a problem for Kat than several others

She could run a new business with or without Alfie now she has the lottery money. There was a brilliant thread last year full of fantastic suggestions for what kind of business she could operate.

Luke could join EastEnders and there could be lots of possibilities there.

Kat and Belinda dynamic could be hilarious and fun yet there could be a lot of deeper and complex material to explore between them too.

She could take on a more matriarchal role as they build the Slaters back up again. With more family around her more natural story development would come.

They could build up friendships more. I really liked her and Linda together and thought they had great chemistry. Also really enjoyed the episide with Kat, Linda, Shirley and Kim in the Vic. She works well with so many different characters if they let her have that interaction.

She's a really good character so it's not even just about the stories it's the great characterisation too. She's very watchable and imo still the strongest female character they have.

Good post. You might be persuading me a little... :cool:
  • Chris_Redfield1Chris_Redfield1 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Yeah, its boring. I hope Whitney gets more to do than hanging around with that loser shes with. and they need to make Ronnie strong again. i dont want kat back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. If Donna and Vincent were biologically rated then yes, I think I wouldn't have been able to move past that. But as they're not, I'm torn by it. It's icky for sure, but at the same time it really brings home how desperate for a baby Donna is, and what a good 'brother' Vincent is to do something so massive for her. It's made me like both characters a lot more than I used to.

I agree.

Its very offensive branding Donna's story as rubbish. That is very likely some EE viewers real life situation in terms of their disability.

I applauded EaatEnders for that story and Lisa Hammond is brilliant.

As for the brother/sister thing. Theyrw not biological related but again, its another challenge, people's opinions and perception.
    Forum Member
    Keibro wrote: »
    I agree.

Its very offensive branding Donna's story as rubbish. That is very likely some EE viewers real life situation in terms of their disability.

I applauded EaatEnders for that story and Lisa Hammond is brilliant.

As for the brother/sister thing. Theyrw not biological related but again, its another challenge, people's opinions and perception.

Absolutely. And for all its faults, who does that better then EE?
  • Jane_Lee3Jane_Lee3 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO it started declining around 7 years ago. It's crap.
  • fredthe3rdfredthe3rd Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    his episodes aren't onscreen he is producing dtc's work and will be for a few months yet

Mick Carter made his first appearance 16 days after DTC first episode, if we accept that as his first big storyline then the new guys influence could start as early as Wednesday coming if he works as fast.