Options

New Job - What to do

louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been offered a fantastic opportunity, however I don't know how if I should take it or not.

Basically, prior to the role I have currently, I was on Maternity (I have a 9 month old). I was offered the job I have currently and also another job which paid more money and was a more senior role. After looking into the company that paid more and asking advice from friends and family, I took that position. However, When I started the role they did not send me a contract, was told I will will not now be a permanent employee but on contract, and that my place of work would be at Gatwick (I live in Margate, Kent!) To make matters worse, I was not paid on time (I am actually still owed wages)and put my family in even more debt with the costs of travelling to the office daily, and the fact I had to buy stuff for the office which I was promised I would be reimbursed for. The commute to the office every day was insane!

After a few months of this I went back to the other company who also offered me a job and told them what happened and that I made a mistake in turning their role down. They took me on and now I am here. I do really like my job, however it is still either commuting into Central London daily from home or staying the week in London at my sisters house as I work from 8:30am - 6pm to save on travel and to get enough sleep. I am also in the office on my own(no option to work from home with this company).
I honestly thought I can handle being away from my baby daily in regards to going to work as he is at home with his dad(my partner) and I want to be able to afford to buy him everything he needs and to make sure he is alright, but now I never get to see him awake and on the weekends its like he has forgotten me and only wants to be with my partner which breaks my heart:(.

However, I have now been offered an amazing job with another established company - The job is offering me and my family a new life in Australia, with the first 6 months working from home here in the UK, until we make the move. My partner thinks this would be an amazing opportunity for us as a family and that we would be silly to turn it down.

The thing is I feel really guilty in regards to my current company - they have been very good to me, gave me a second chance, but the commute and being away from my family daily and also weekly in some cases is killing me.

We are in serious debt too as we started a business 2 years ago which went tits up, both my parents passed away within a 18 months of each other (April 2011 and Christmas 2012)leaving me with the funeral expenses which we are still also paying off hence why I went back to work - my partner is a self employed handy man and when I was on maternity he worked full time, but we were (and still are) struggling with all the bills, a new baby and day to day living. I earn over twice what he earns so it made sense me going back to work and him staying at home during the week and working during the weekends when he gets work.

And just suppose I do agree to this new job and we go out to Australia and it fails? I don't think I can handle the fact that I had put my family through that upheaval (especially my little boy). It really scares me taking a chance again as everything I have tried so far has ended up badly.

I really just want to the right thing for us all and be a great mum :(

Comments

• Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your current employers sound great but they are just that, employers. Your current job is not working for you or your family, so you need to be quite hard headed and do whats right for you and yours.

The Oz job sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Once you get out there you will probably not have a long commute, and an outdoor lifestyle is got to be better than what we have here. Only you can know if it the correct move, but do not let the thought of letting your current employers down be the thing that is holding you back. Work is an exchange of our labour to receive money to live our lives. It is a business arrangement and you must not let sentiment get in the way. Loyalty is a great thing but it is not always good for us. Employers get rid of people in the blink of an eye too, it is not personal on their side and resigning is not personal either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Your current employers sound great but they are just that, employers. Your current job is not working for you or your family, so you need to be quite hard headed and do whats right for you and yours.

The Oz job sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Once you get out there you will probably not have a long commute, and an outdoor lifestyle is got to be better than what we have here. Only you can know if it the correct move, but do not let the thought of letting your current employers down be the thing that is holding you back. Work is an exchange of our labour to receive money to live our lives. It is a business arrangement and you must not let sentiment get in the way. Loyalty is a great thing but it is not always good for us. Employers get rid of people in the blink of an eye too, it is not personal on their side and resigning is not personal either.

Ditto. The big thing I've learned while being pregnant at work is that I'm just a person & can be replaced. My role is needed but I'm not. In fact, they'd pretty much rather I wasn't there.

You've made what you've believed are the best choices for your family at the time of making those choices. Hindsight is an amazing thing unfortunately.

Ultimately will your quality of life in Australia be better? You're never going to get these early years with baby ever again & if this opportunity allows you to spend more time with him, you'll have more time creating memories & less time doing something that, ultimately, is just lining someone else's pockets.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why you'd be dithering now - it takes a lot for us to have to go back "cap in hand", so to speak, to a former employer like you did, and now you think they've done you a favour by taking you back at that time. I know they didn't employ you, but you had rejected them.

Remember though, if they felt you couldn't do the job they wouldn't have taken you. So yes, although it was 'good' of them to take you back (which is what you're feeling), they did have their own interests at heart at the end of the day. You weren't a charity case by any means, and they're no charity.

Even if the first paid six months at home leads to no Australian job at the end of it (worst case scenario), the six months getting to know your baby again will be priceless.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to do what's best for you, OP. If your husband is supportive and wants you to go for it, I say why not? What's the worst that will happen? It doesn't work out and you come back home. Would that be worse than staying in your current predicament which you're clearly unhappy with?

Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you :)