BSkyB snaps up IPL and Sri Lanka cricket

2»

Comments

• Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    People who don't have sky or sky sports are generally the same people that may drink or smoke so have already prioritised their cash in that way.

There are no words.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't have sky or sky sports are generally the same people that may drink or smoke so have already prioritised their cash in that way.

I also realise this is a generalised statement but is very very true in my experience.

You said it.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also realise this is a generalised statement but is very very true in my experience.

or have to put food on the table
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi, I agree I used a bit of a sweeping statement there, but from a personal perspective I recently watched a game with my nephew of IPL cricket and asked him if he thought the likes of Joe Root would do well playing in it. His reply was "who's Joe Root?"

I accept the ODI and T20I ones are on too late, but why do you not watch test highlights on Channel 5 with your nephew?

Between 2006 and 2010 there was no live FTA cricket, before ITV4 picked up the IPL following the collapse of Setanta, so why is 2015 going to suddenly be a death knell when it was not before?

I fully agree it is disappointing that there is so little free access to cricket on TV, although personally I would not consider it good if the majority of that was Twenty20 either.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nine seasons of no live England cricket on FTA are beginning to take their inevitable toll on the England team. As the wheels come off the team through retirements etc, the pool of capable young replacements in county cricket is becoming increasingly shallow because so many children who could have become cricketers have seen so little of the game as they grew up. :(

Wouldn't surprise me if we're struggling to beat Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc in five to ten years' time.

I realise this won't be popular with the "ECB and BSkyB Can Do No Wrong Brigade", but it's inevitable.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    The nine seasons of no live England cricket on FTA are beginning to take their inevitable toll on the England team. As the wheels come off the team through retirements etc, the pool of capable young replacements in county cricket is becoming increasingly shallow because so many children who could have become cricketers have seen so little of the game as they grew up. :(

Wouldn't surprise me if we're struggling to beat Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc in five to ten years' time.

I realise this won't be popular with the "ECB and BSkyB Can Do No Wrong Brigade", but it's inevitable.

Utter nonsense. It's like arguing that umpteen seasons of no live EPL on FTA are beginning to take their toll on the England team. Then again....
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, the fact that we finished 3rd at the Under-19 World Cup earlier this year, ahead of India, Sri Lanka, Australia and the the West Indies, was a shocking indictment of the lack of talent coming through
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. It's like arguing that umpteen seasons of no live EPL on FTA are beginning to take their toll on the England team. Then again....

Except we have had live FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League, Internationals,

Rugby Union has live Internationals.

Cricket FTA is going to be Channel 5 highlights.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Below
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    You said it.
    or have to put food on the table

I dont pay for sky sports as its a rip off and pay for 14hd sports channels for £10pm including F1, premier league football, la liga, boxing and NBA. Hope that clears any generalistion for not having sky sports.

Plus i can buy more stuff for the kids with the extra money:)
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not going to hurt the talent making it in the game but the crowds? Yep. none of the ODI's sold out. How often do you see empty seats in a sport on Free to air tv?
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I agree I used a bit of a sweeping statement there, but from a personal perspective I recently watched a game with my nephew of IPL cricket and asked him if he thought the likes of Joe Root would do well playing in it. His reply was "who's Joe Root?"
    That just suggests your nephew is not a big Cricket fan. Probably watched the IPL with you to be polite! Cricket doesn't seem to interest a lot of kids these days.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not going to hurt the talent making it in the game but the crowds? Yep. none of the ODI's sold out. How often do you see empty seats in a sport on Free to air tv?

Often enough. I don't remember the whole of the World Snooker Championship's being sold out, the Challenge Cup quarter-final on right now has plenty of empty seats and more than one England international at Wembley recently has had empty seats.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member

I would have gone but the prices are too high in London at least (Lords and Oval) plus there is the risk of doggy weather raining out the games as we saw with some of them.

Compare to Wimbledon where I luckily got centre court ballot tickets this year. With the roof its a guaranteed all days play, and as its 1st week they are just over half the price of going to Lords.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early season cricket matches are never good in terms of attendance. Think back to some of those test matches in early May that are half-empty. I do think (to praise the ECB for once) that this summer's scheduling is far more sensible, with the test matches all coming in a block in the middle of the summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early season cricket matches are never good in terms of attendance. Think back to some of those test matches in early May that are half-empty. I do think (to praise the ECB for once) that this summer's scheduling is far more sensible, with the test matches all coming in a block in the middle of the summer.

Agreed.

The other issue with ODIs is that very often now you get players being rested after Test series, so people aren't willing to pay the sometimes obscene prices to see understrength sides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It really isn't.

And before you start, I'm far from a fan of the ECB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the future's so bright, why have we picked a half fit Matt Prior who's hardly scored a run for twelve months, and why were we considering replacing him with James Foster, who hasn't played a Test for eleven years, or Chris Read who made his debut fifteen years ago?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we've picked another non-UK born squad member for the next test!

I'm sure not having live free cricket will damage future Eng squads. But not the ECB coffers!
  • Options
    doughnut17doughnut17 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Yes because having live cricket available on the BBC back in the day led to that fabulous long period throughout the 90's when we were so good didn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doughnut17 wrote: »
    Yes because having live cricket available on the BBC back in the day led to that fabulous long period throughout the 90's when we were so good didn't it?
    There were lots of problems with English cricket in the 1990s (and the '80s), for a whole host of reasons, but that period of live FTA cricket was still responsible for inspiring a generation of youngsters to take up the game, including most of England's best players of the last ten years or so.