Options

The Google Nexus 6/Silver appreciation thread

Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
Forum Member
A thread for those looking forward to the Nexus 6, or "silver" range ........ (obviously assuming that one or other will actually exist at some point)

As ive been informed that 'appreciation' threads have specific rules lets make sure everyone sticks to them. :)

"If you want to make negative comments or just argue, go somewhere else."

This thread is for speculation, leaks, and the build up to the launch. Lets also include discussion regarding the new OS updates if you like :D .... cover all the bases.

Anyone with new usernames and very strong opinions will, as always, be treated with suspicion ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Arent google doing something different with their device names based on screen size ( of late )
    Nexus 7 old version
    Nexus 7 New version

does this mean the nexus 6 will have a 6 inch screen?
    or will there be a Nexus 5 2014 edition
    is there any interest?
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 6 is simply the 6th model in the nexus line up. The tablets only we're named after their screen size.

Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6.

Though to be fair, Google have never exactly been consistent when it comes to naming things.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So where are we with a confirmed 6? Or not as the case may be.

Do like the proposed new look of L though.

The downside of android is that being so far ahead other OS's can make bigger improvements catching up, so hope there is some good stuff to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    So where are we with a confirmed 6? Or not as the case may be.

Do like the proposed new look of L though.

The downside of android is that being so far ahead other OS's can make bigger improvements catching up, so hope there is some good stuff to come.

Yep. Other OS's seem to make headlines of features already present ...... Notification panels etc.

I wonder if he have hit a peak (albeit a temporary one) until new hardware innovations allow things to speed ahead again. I've had a couple of nexuses now and I like the concept. Not tied to a hardware brand, no bloatware. And then there is the price !!!!
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    when is this possibly going to be on sale?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when is this possibly going to be on sale?

when is a rumoured device that is nothing but a possible name going to be on sale?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    when is a rumoured device that is nothing but a possible name going to be on sale?

Usually Q4. Tends to be a yearly release rate similar to Apples (and others) approach. Slight difference this year in that there were some rumours that the nexus line was being discontinued with a move to "android silver" (which seemed to be a widening of the "google edition" concept).

I do wonder (if this does happen) whether such a move would be to appease those companies that are selling £600 phones just to see them (closely) hardware matched by a handset selling at half the price.

Personally I'm hoping they stick with the current nexus approach. On all you can eat data on Three PAYG I find the nexus "buy outright" approach much more appealing than a high monthly tarrif and limited data.
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member

This thread has much non functionality.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the Nexus line of phones is not being discontinued (at least this year) it was confirmed at i/o. Nexus 6 the 6th nexus OK. But what about the 7th Nexus phone?

I have had the Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4. All of them have been great devices with the same exact flaws. Poor camera and crap battery life. This isn't something that has appeared to have changed with the Nexus 5. I personally am not bothered about the camera but battery life is different. Maybe that is what Volta is all about, making sure a Nexus can last the day.

I think we have seen Android Silver at i/o: Android One. It matches everything that Silver was said to do. But lets wait and see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Poor camera and crap battery life. This isn't something that has appeared to have changed with the Nexus 5. .

that's subjective though.
    this discussion has been had already though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Personally I found the N5 camera great at first. Then they messed it up fixing problems other people had. Latest software and its back to great again. It is what it is. A decent quality casual snapper. If I want proper pics I use my DSLR. For a camera always in my pocket its great.

As for battery I get a full day. Something I never managed iny previous galaxy nexus.

With the price set at nearly half of S5/G2 I guess they had to keep costs down somewhere - or more likely retain some incentive for the higher priced units.

I don't see how anyone can argue that for its price point its class leading. Plus you get full software updates for 2 years - none of this trimmed and tailored updating like on some other brands :)
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member

I don't see how Nexus phones can be slated for their cameras, we know they have poor cameras and weak battery's but they're priced inline with other lets say "affordable" smart phones.

Nexus phones lose out when compared to high end phones like the S5 the 5S and the HTC One etc. But nexus devices are not meant to be compared to highend devices, they're a midrange phone priced accordingly and the hardware reflects this.

If the Nexus phones were in the £400/£500 price range and a high end device then yeah it's crippled poor device. But it is not a highend phone nore is it priced to compete with highend devices.

EDIT it's seems post is simply echoing what Stuart H has already said, bassically the Nexus devices are neither priced or aimed at highend devices and this should be taken I to account when reviewing the hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how Nexus phones can be slated for their cameras, we know they have poor cameras and weak battery's but they're priced inline with other lets say "affordable" smart phones..

do "we"?
    as i said, it's subjective, and i disagree with both the claims made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread has much non functionality.

Hugh .. sorry Jamie you know this is an appreciation thread, please respect the rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    looks very nice indeed, find out the price for me :D