Options

Man gets in woman's car at petrol station and sexually assaults her

Comments

• Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by captainkremmen
    And again you post this rubbish, as you have in other similar threads.

Regardless of your perception, and what the tabloids tell you, our justice system and sentencing actually compares well with pretty much every other developed country. Hell, in another thread a few people posted details of maximum and minimum sentences for various crimes and lots of other data to show that was the case, including details of harsh sentences here, and soft sentences in other countries, for balance. But you continue to believe what you want.

You're right, I will continue to post my opinion and perceptions. Not that I need your permission or approval, thanks all the same.

Far too many people are released from prison after being "rehabilitated" and reoffend - often committing a more serious offence.

I refer you to Roy Whiting as one such example.
    >>>>>>

Further to judiciary and CPS badly letting down victims of crime. There was a popular
    LBC radio presenter who constantly quoted examples where the CPS would fail to prosecute - that often resulted in the criminal walking away free, causing him to refere to the
    CPS as -
    The Criminals Protection Service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    No, are you suggesting that you are a spokesperson for all victims and suggesting that none of them want long custodial sentences for their attackers?

It's called an opinion and mine just happens to differ from yours.

Since I've not actually given my opinion on what the victims may or may not actually want, I'm perplexed how you seem so confident to know what I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soupbowl wrote: »
    It's a bit out of order to pursue someone on a different thread about other threads. He posted his opinion, you, rather aggressively to be honest rubbished it and posted yours. A simple statement that you disagree would suffice.

It's not out of order at all....people in real life may extrapolate their discussion to include previous comments/opinions given so I don't see why people cannot do the same online.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always locked my doors in the car, also when putting fuel in I only unlock my door, the rest remain locked and I pay at the pump. If I walk away from my car I lock it instantly. I'm a bit ocd with locking my car though and check before bed etc. Poor woman though.
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    It's not out of order at all....people in real life may extrapolate their discussion to include previous comments/opinions given so I don't see why people cannot do the same online.

It's bad etiquette. It appears to the neutral that those who do it are struggling to build an argument on the new thread, and merely have an axe to grind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I've not actually given my opinion on what the victims may or may not actually want, I'm perplexed how you seem so confident to know what I think.

The idea is that you post an opinion, the battle lines can then be drawn. It lookslike cheap shots otherwise. Bad etiquette.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad etiquette. It appears to the neutral that those who do it are struggling to build an argument on the new thread, and merely have an axe to grind.

So you're basically saying that people mustn't extrapolate online, but can do so elsewhere? Isn't that kind of a double-standard?

If you came into this thread and said "our judicial system is SHIT", but in another thread you state "our judicial system is awesome", I'm sure as hell going to pull you up on it.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, our re-offending rates are too high.

But surprise, surprise, those countries with lower general re-offending rates in the Western World seem to be those with much more progressive judicial system, most especially the likes of Norway.

We are not Norway, unfortunately. Until we have a much more progressive society in general, I don't think a Norwegian-style judicial system would work here. If I knew anything about the history of Norway (I don't :o) I'd love to trace it back and see how it has ended up, culturally, a much more equal and seemingly - I say seemingly - safe place than Britain and many other European countries. I daresay it has to do with work ethic and the way in which people are raised.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I never said, nor alluded to you needing permission.

I was pointing out that our system compares well to other countries, and have pointed this out in other threads that you were also participating in and evidence of such was also posted in these threads too.

I agree, our re-offending rates are too high.

But surprise, surprise, those countries with lower general re-offending rates in the Western World seem to be those with much more progressive judicial system, most especially the likes of Norway.

In some respects our justice system works and in other respects it doesn't.

I am personally getting more than a little sick of hearing about people being murdered, particularly children, by repeat offenders who have committed crimes against children in the past, only to be released after supposedly being rehabilitated.

My take on this is quite simple:

1, The punishment should fit the crime with the emphasis being on punishment.

2, The feelings and mental/emotional wellbeing of the victim should be considered.

3, Public safety should be taken into account.

The justice system repeatedly take chances with people's lives by releasing offenders back into the community who have committed very serious crimes. The number of paedophiles in this country who have a string of offences and numerous short prison sentences to their name beggars belief. Why do they keep on being allowed to go free to offend again and again?

My own personal opinion is that murderers who have killed someone in a premeditated act should never see the light of day again. That's it, one strike and you're out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're basically saying that people mustn't extrapolate online, but can do so elsewhere? Isn't that kind of a double-standard?

If you came into this thread and said "our judicial system is SHIT", but in another thread you state "our judicial system is awesome", I'm sure as hell going to pull you up on it.

Ok, well I suppose at least we can be grateful that you identify yourself as someone who observes bad etiquette and treat your contributions appropriately.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think I know what soupbowl was getting at.

Some people who have a particularly bitter disagreement with a person on one thread will sometimes follow that person all around the forum agreeing with practically everything they say.

It happens, but I don't think that is the case with you. You're referring to another thread on a very similar subject, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I've always locked car doors, even when I was a kid I always insisted on making sure every door was locked.

Mercifully, no-ones actually tried to open them while I've been inside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, well I suppose at least we can be grateful that you identify yourself as someone who observes bad etiquette and treat your contributions appropriately.

But only on this thread remember. It would be "bad etiquette" for you to extend this into other threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some respects our justice system works and in other respects it doesn't.

I am personally getting more than a little sick of hearing about people being murdered, particularly children, by repeat offenders who have committed crimes against children in the past, only to be released after supposedly being rehabilitated.

My take on this is quite simple:

1, The punishment should fit the crime with the emphasis being on punishment.

2, The feelings and mental/emotional wellbeing of the victim should be considered.

3, Public safety should be taken into account.

The justice system repeatedly take chances with people's lives by releasing offenders back into the community who have committed very serious crimes. The number of paedophiles in this country who have a string of offences and numerous short prison sentences to their name beggars belief. Why do they keep on being allowed to go free to offend again and again?

My own personal opinion is that murderers who have killed someone in a premeditated act should never see the light of day again. That's it, one strike and you're out.

Thank you for your eloquently put opinion. I sympathsize with many of the points. Lets hope those who don't agree can constructively post theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know what soupbowl was getting at.

Some people who have a particularly bitter disagreement with a person on one thread will sometimes follow that person all around the forum agreeing with practically everything they say.

It happens, but I don't think that is the case with you. You're referring to another thread on a very similar subject, which is fair enough.

Huh? I think you mean CaptainKremmen, right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I'm surprised to read so many comments about people locking their car doors as soon as they get in to drive off somewhere. Isn't that extremely dangerous if you were suddenly in an emergency and needed to get out of the car quickly (i.e. a car fire or crashing into deep water).

I carry a window hammer and seatbelt cutter in my dashboard. The kids know its there too. I get paranoid about these things :o

I hope I never have to use it but for the sake of £5 on Amazon I'm glad I have it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, you seem to think that I claim to be a spokesperson for all victims of crime, despite having said nothing of the sort, which is equally illogical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huh? I think you mean CaptainKremmen, right?

Apologies, I was supposed to be addressing CaptainKremmen.

I quoted the wrong post. :o
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I guess im lucky I live in a pretty safe area. One time last year, I went back to my car in the car park where I work, to drive home in the evening, only to find I'd accidentally left it unlocked :eek: I couldn't understand why it wasn't unlocking when I turned the key left, until I pulled the handle and it opened right away - I must have just closed the door and walked off when I arrived. There's a CCTV camera nearby so maybe that deters people from snooping around and checking such things but I felt pretty lucky! ugh I'd forget my brain if it wasn't in my 'ead lol :o I had to check my CDs etc. were still there, thankfully nothing seemed to have been stolen.

You're lucky, you could have been murdered! Or worse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you seem to think and that I claim to be a spokesperson for all victims of crime, which is equally illogical.
    Our system is a joke and seems to be more interested in "helping" offenders rather than punishing them for the crime they committed and giving the victim some peace of mind.

You clearly think our system is a joke because the sentences given don't give the victims peace of mind. That's pretty broad in my book and not far off speaking on behalf of victims.

So to help clarify, what do you mean by peace of mind for the victim?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, I was supposed to be addressing CaptainKremmen.

I quoted the wrong post. :o

No need to apologise.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My car doors are always locked when I'm in the car - I have done so ever since I passed my test and I'd never think of doing otherwise. It's such a sad state of affairs that we have to do things like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eira wrote: »
    My car doors are always locked when I'm in the car - I have done so ever since I passed my test and I'd never think of doing otherwise. It's such a sad state of affairs that we have to do things like this.

A lot of thieves have learnt that the weakest point of a cars security system is the person driving it, which is why carjackings in some countries have increased an awful lot (i.e. South Africa).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You clearly think our system is a joke because the sentences given don't give the victims peace of mind. That's pretty broad in my book and not far off speaking on behalf of victims.

So to help clarify, what do you mean by peace of mind for the victim?

How exactly did you equate my opinion of the justice system as being akin to me claiming to be a spokesperson for all victims of crime?

I said the system of sentencing is a joke with more consideration given to helping offenders, or attempting to rehabilitate them, than helping the victims or victims' families.

All too often the punishment doesn't fit the crime... in my opinion.

If I lost a member of my family to a premeditated murder, I would expect the court to put the death of said family member and the feelings of their surviving relatives before the potential to rehabilitate the offender and hand down a sentence that refected the severity of what they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly did you equate my opinion of the justice system as being akin to me claiming to be a spokesperson for all victims of crime?

I said the system of sentencing is a joke with more consideration given to helping offenders, or attempting to rehabilitate them, than helping the victims or victims' families.

All too often the punishment doesn't fit the crime... in my opinion.

If I lost a member of my family to a premeditated murder, I would expect the court to put the death of said family member and the feelings of their surviving relatives before the potential to rehabilitate the offender and hand down a sentence that refected the severity of what they did.

This is a reasonable request of the justice system.