Options

Anti-Romanian propoganda in Britain

Comments

• Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seaborn wrote: »
    The audacity of those Romanians, having children. Disgusting.

we will send them all up to glasgow if you like
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    Our home born people can't get jobs selling Big Issue because of Romanians and other foreigners. What is Osbourne do for them in the budget?

they sell the big issue and work at car washed so they can claim they are self employed and get housing and other benefits so quite a boon for the uk to have them here ... NOT!
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Romanians are not to bad, its the Roma which give Romania a bad name, they are nearly all pickpockets and totally untrust worthy, they are a problem all around Europe (most pick pocketing in Rome and parts of London is by them). More will be coming over here soon as its a cushy number if you dont want to work and stealing is your culture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we will send them all up to glasgow if you like

Go ahead. I live in the South side of Glasgow, which has a high number of ethnic minorities. Lots of interesting shops and local businesses, and I've never had an ounce of bother.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I spent 2 weeks working in Bucharest.
    The Romanians I worked with were intelligent, polite, well educated and very nice.

Did you know Bucharest has a mini Arc De Triomphe?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a pointless question asking what do you think of x or y race. They are not all the same, so you cant judge them as a whole.

There is no doubt that many people from these poorer countries come here, and some of them are criminals. I dont like criminals, whatever their background. If they are from abroad, I'd prefer to get rid of them.

On the other hand, there also those who work, and live decent lives.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's that or they and their children starve, I can see why.

They are sent here by Mafia bosses and have to send their money and ill gotten gains back to them. The bosses live in big mansions in Romania.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    They are sent here by Mafia bosses and have to send their money and ill gotten gains back to them. The bosses live in big mansions in Romania.

Tell me more, Detective Inspector. Preferably with sources and evidence relating to every single Romanian immigrant.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Do the mafia bosses send them anywhere else?
    Do the mafia bosses live in big castles in the Transylvania region?
    Do they have holiday homes in the Carpathians?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me more, Detective Inspector. Preferably with sources and evidence relating to every single Romanian immigrant.

There was an investigative programme on T.V. recently which followed them around London, Rome and other places and then went to Romania to see the bosses in their large mansions. Of course it wasn't in the Guardian so it can't possibly be true.
  • Options
    spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    It's nothing new, of course. This is how the Jews were made to feel for centuries in Britain prior to WW2.

Not just the Nazis, the right wing in most countries have a long tradition of blaming all societies ills on various minorities (single mothers, Indians and Pakistanis, asylum seekers, Muslims, gay people, Poles etc). And stupid people always fall for the propaganda.

I’m sure after the entire population of Romania doesn’t move here causing the country to burst into flames they will find another group to pick on and we’ll go through the say sorry cycle again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an investigative programme on T.V. recently which followed them around London, Rome and other places and then went to Romania to see the bosses in their large mansions. Of course it wasn't in the Guardian so it can't possibly be true.

What you mean to say is, it followed SOME Romanians around London. Not all, because that would be silly and not all Romanians live in London.

What you're pointing to is a case of an organised crime gang made up primarily of a particular nationality. I assure you, this phenomenon is not exclusive to Romanians. Unless you think there are no crime gangs made up of only British people?
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Are Roma the same as Romanians? If not, therein may be a confusion.
    Personally, I've been robbed on foot by Roma in Rome, robbed in a car by Roma in England, hassled by a large group of Roma in Russia and had to be rescued by the hotel concierge. I have not had any positive interactions with Roma, therefore I tend to take a gloomy view of them.

The Roma are an ethno-linguistic group, originally from India. They are dark-skinned, generally. They can be found all over Eastern Europe, not just in Romania.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Personally, I've been robbed on foot by Roma in Rome, robbed in a car by Roma in England, hassled by a large group of Roma in Russia and had to be rescued by the hotel concierge. I have not had any positive interactions with Roma, therefore I tend to take a gloomy view of them.
    How did you know the where these people came that harrassed,robbed and hassled you?
    Were they prolonged assaults so you had time to ask them or for them to show you their passports maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    How did you know the where these people came that harrassed,robbed and hassled you?
    Were they prolonged assaults so you had time to ask them or for them to show you their passports maybe?

I think the horns and vague whiff of Sulphur were a dead giveaway...
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Romanians where i live are nothing but thugs. You ask them to move on politely and they shout and swear at you. How would they like it if they found me smoking and drinking outside their doorstep?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The Romanians where i live are nothing but thugs. You ask them to move on politely and they shout and swear at you. How would they like it if they found me smoking and drinking outside their doorstep?

But that is just a few of them of course around here it's the white British what do that still not as bad as the ones from where I used to live
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There used to be a Roma-gypsy crime/begging epidemic in Paris .The French sorted it out in the typically French way...and kicked them out.No doubt soft touch Angleterre was where they ended up....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any Romanians reading...I think you're great and you're more than welcome where I live!

Freeman000 ....how's it going with the ladies

- So you fancy a fragrant gypo eh? ;)
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeman000 ....how's it going with the ladies

- So you fancy a fragrant gypo eh? ;)

You gotta start somewhere I suppose :D
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »

Thankyou for your sympathy.

The groups in question were personally known to the authorities to whom I reported the incidents.

However, as someone has politely pointed out, Roma is NOT the same as Romanian, so the issue becomes moot - except that, as I hinted in my original post, if people have the 2 confused, then it's no wonder people have negative stereotypes about Romanians.
  • Options
    Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Is anyone alarmed/annoyed by this?

Whenever I have met a Romanian in Britain, they have always been nothing but extremely polite and pleasant...especially the women. Okay, I haven't met many Romanian blokes, but the women have all been great. The thought of them being made to feel unwelcome or unwanted,or of a lesser class, makes me sick.

The Daily Mail in particular needs to hang its head in shame, with constant articles designed to instil fear among the British public about the impending 'Romanian invasion'.

It's nothing new, of course. This is how the Jews were made to feel for centuries in Britain prior to WW2.

Of course they are, they are here, they know we can't get rid of them, and probably see you as some simple minded native that's easy to please.
  • Options
    DenonDaveDenonDave Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I spent 2 weeks working in Bucharest.
    The Romanians I worked with were intelligent, polite, well educated and very nice.

Did you know Bucharest has a mini Arc De Triomphe?

Yes, I did.

Did you know I have a pond in my garden?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Listening to some Romanian people who were asked in Bucharest if they would want to move to a European country many of them said that they'd choose Spain or Germany although they'd heard that Britain is 'nice'.

Spain ...with it's economy in shreds ?

Complete nonsense - The UK is far more attractive .In part due to apparent misguided simpletons making it so .
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Of course they are, they are here, they know we can't get rid of them, and probably see you as some simple minded native that's easy to please.

The scary thing is I think you actually believe this.