Is 3 now much better than it was (Glasgow)?

13»

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

I have seen 14Mbps in Glasgow in a 3 store but they have a pico cell attached to broadband for best performance, so whilst interesting it's not a realistic user experience. If I can get stable calls and around 4-5Mbps I'll be quite content.

There is no proof of that.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    There is no proof of that.

All the network operators use pico cells in-store AFAIK. Try walking along a mall and see how the 3G signal improves outside the network stores!

Performance in or near a network store is not a good indication of general performance levels, hence I'll try a SIM for a week and that will reveal if the coverage and performance meets my needs where I live and work.
    Forum Member
    All the network operators use pico cells in-store AFAIK. Try walking along a mall and see how the 3G signal improves outside the network stores!

That's not solid proof.

Linking to ofcom with a report on how O2 had the least complaints last year out of all 5 major operators is solid proof.

Guessing that there are pico cells in the glasgow Three store is not proof. I'm disappointed. I was at least expecting a verified backed up source.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now it's gone from a statement of fact, to admission that you're guessing, with no reference or anything to support the claim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Guessing that there are pico cells in the glasgow Three store is not proof. I'm disappointed. I was at least expecting a verified backed up source.

Why? I think its common-sense that operators would use technology that they give customers in poor reception areas to ensure they give the best impression possible in their stores. I doubt there is any secret made about it either!

I'm sure those working in network retail outlets can confirm the practice is normal. The well known concept is explained via the link posted below:

http://www.ipaccess.com/en/retail-stores

This appears to be argument for the sake of it (Flame bait) and it's noteworthy that 'the usual suspects' have attempted to divert attention away from the key issue which was a request about user experience in Glasgow lately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You made a clear claim as fact, one which implied the operator was only getting decent speeds in town due to having their own Pico cell in store.

It later transpired that you have no evidence to support what you said and that you were just guessing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only topic in this thread seems to be pretending to be interesting in joining Three in order to backhandedly slag it off when people reply.

You've accused Three of only getting fast speeds in store because of pico cells, of which you have no evidence.

You said "I dare say if the 3 signal (which has always been poor) in my location remains so"

You said "That is true but the negatives about 3 are much greater than about other networks"

You said "Ofcom's surveys also reveal that 3's customers are the least satisfied and escalate more issues to the regulator than any other network. That is also a worry."

You said "Personal experience in an area is far more convincing than anything published on the Internet"

As moox said, this is nothing more than a continuation of your decade-long vendetta against 3, not a genuine request for advice.
    Forum Member
    Why? I think its common-sense that operators would use technology that they give customers in poor reception areas to ensure they give the best impression possible in their stores. I doubt there is any secret made about it either!

I'm sure those working in network retail outlets can confirm the practice is normal. The well known concept is explained via the link posted below:

http://www.ipaccess.com/en/retail-stores

This appears to be argument for the sake of it (Flame bait) and it's noteworthy that 'the usual suspects' have attempted to divert attention away from the key issue which was a request about user experience in Glasgow lately.

It's not an argument for the sake of it. It's asking you to back up your claims. Like you do to others...

Besides, You still haven't given proper evidence for the Three store in Glasgow to have a pico cell installed. Yet you still believe it to be true. That's a bit hypocritical, you ask others to back up their claims but can't back up some of your own.

Anyway, in my personal experience the Three store in Windsor couldn't get more than 3mbps on my DC-HSPA+ device so that gives me reason to believe there is no pico cell installed there.

So in your own phrasing, my personal experience matters more to me than some online website. Therefore i can say that in my personal experience of the Three store in windsor there is no pico cell installed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any networks are not using pico cells in their stores these days they are pretty crazy!

Anyway..... totally off-topic on this thread. Perhaps worth starting one to discuss that specific issue but I consider it fairly obvious.
  • squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am loving all the responses in this thread.

I'd like the OP to look back on this and realise how silly all his posts are.

I for one live and work in the city centre of Glasgow and have in the past posted Speedtest.net results that the OP has only criticised in the past.

I've just done a speedtest using my Nexus 4 and here are my results:

Test Date: Mar 24, 2013 10:36:31 PM
    Connection Type: Cell
    Server: London
    Download: 20.55 Mbps
    Upload: 2.30 Mbps
    Ping: 59 ms

External IP: 90.222.107.x
    Internal IP: 10.159.253.x

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/405183154.png

I have personally found the voice quality on three to be a lot higher than comparable networks, especially when using a handset and calling someone on Three with a HD voice handset.

I've found the 3G coverage on Three to be superior to my vodafone handset in Glasgow. I've found good coverage everywhere in the centre.

The only criticism that I have is that sometimes I lose coverage if I am deep in a building (eg XScape at Braehead, you'll get no coverage in the food area). However I can generally go without coverage for a short period of time for all the benefits of being on the network.

Most sites in the city centre are DC - HSDPA however a few are not. There are some busy sites around the city centre that are busy at certain points of the day (ie around colleges and unis) but the only impact is that the speeds might fall to 3-4Mbps.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have snipped the personal stuff as it's not really necessary.

The improved results re coverage and the posts of users is EXACTLY the reason why I am considering 3! I have not attempted to deny anything about the root metrics tests, indeed they are of particular interest when assessing the suitability of the service. It does no harm to seek as many sources of information as possible before investing in an expensive commitment.

The problem with the 30 day contract is that it costs £25 a month which is only £11 a month less than getting the phone on contract. 3's One Plan is an expensive option when you are not accepting a commitment.

SGS 4 = £499 SIM Free then 24 X £25 for SIM only = £1099

SGS 4 = £69 on One Plan then £ 36 X 24 - £62 Quidco = £871

So the contract option works out £228 less over a 24 month period.

I will learn all I need to know by using my 3 PAYG SIM in my SGS this week. If it works without dropping calls then it should suit my needs.
    Do you need completely unlimited everything from 3?

If you don't, then their Ultimate Internet Plans might work for you - e.g. 600 minutes, 5000 texts AYCE is £18.90, 200 minutes, 5000 texts, AYCE data is £12.90. Unless you really need unlimited everything the One Plan is overkill for some folks.