The Canterbury Thread - any discussion about our city?

wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wonder if there are any fellow Canterbury residents here, and if they want to discuss life in the cathedral city. What are your interests and concerns?

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'd love to visit Canterbury but it's so difficult to get to from most other places in the UK.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the transport is crap. It's better with HS1, but is probably easier for many French people to visit than the English!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent a day there once...............

Seemed nice enough................
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excellent archaeology
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked the late sixties canterbury music scene, Caravan being one of my all time favourite bands.

For Richard
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'd love to visit Canterbury but it's so difficult to get to from most other places in the UK.

It's easily accessible via the M2 & M20.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    My home town is near Canterbury, though I don't live there anymore. Still like to visit Canterbury when in the area. Have good memories of Planet Laser/Laser Planet/whatever!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I visit Canterbury regularly, it's near the coastline I live on. I love it, one of my favourite places. It's so pretty, bursting with history, especially the Cathedral and has great shops.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I lived in Sturry near Canterbury for a few years ages ago. IIRC there was a kebab house near Westgate that did awesome doners with garlic mayo.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Sturry near Canterbury for a few years ages ago. IIRC there was a kebab house near Westgate that did awesome doners with garlic mayo.

Lol, always a good memory.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kebab house in Westgate now is crap.

My sons is at Uni in Canterbury. He loved the place.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    The kebab house in Westgate now is crap.

My sons is at Uni in Canterbury. He loved the place.

Well it has been over 20 years! :) I guess there's been a change in management.
  • twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Westgate kebab house is legendary for crapness....but all the students go there after a night out! I live just outside the lovely city, both my kids are graduates of Kent Uni.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best quirky little cafe in Canterbury is Boho, lovely food, weird decor, sixties music, mad owner....great place :cool:
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I live in Margate and go up to Canterbury quite often to escape the boring life in Thanet. I enjoy The Loft and Alberrys and the Essence Bar. I like the cathederal and I like sitting outside Starbucks with a cuppa watching the street performers do there thing (mainly the beatboxer who can do mental dnb and dubstep) I also like the shops, the canal next to the church yard. Overall a nice place to go but can be very expensive.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Westgate kebab house is legendary for crapness....but all the students go there after a night out! I live just outside the lovely city, both my kids are graduates of Kent Uni.

I don't think you can get a decent kebab in Canterbury. Tried Pitta and Dips, the new Greek place, today... meat was goo, but it was lacking something.

There's a new Turkish place opening on the high street, so hopefully they'll do a decent shish.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    I don't think you can get a decent kebab in Canterbury. Tried Pitta and Dips, the new Greek place, today... meat was goo, but it was lacking something.

There's a new Turkish place opening on the high street, so hopefully they'll do a decent shish.

My opinion all kebab places are rank! cannot stand the taste of them. When I eat out in Canterbury I go to Morelli's :) always know what your getting in there. I love their fry ups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Foundry do the most amazing ribs ever! You need an appetite like Desperate Dan to finish the plate :D
  • louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moved from London to Westgate in 2011, and now live in Margate (didn't want to leave Westgate, but had to because we wanted a bigger house and there were none to rent in our price range there)

Loved the cafe next door to the kebab house! And there is also a really awesome bakery there. My GP is still in Westgate as I didn't want to move as we had a great rapport with him, so I'm there a lot especially now with our LO.

I worked in Canterbury before going on maternity and it is a very beautiful city. I loved walking around on my lunch break and love the music on the streets. Haven't been since having the baby so I guess a visit is in order soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I spent a day there once...............

Seemed nice enough................

Seconded..
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in Kent went to the Uni at Canterbury in the 1980's and many times since and have watch the city evolve into quite a big tourist destination.

If you can deal with the crowds and the traffic congestion on the ring road it well worth a visit, still maintains some of the old world charm along with good shopping and a huge choice of places to eat.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Canterbury Tales Attraction is cool!
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    The 1944 film - 'A Canterbury Tale' - is well worth viewing.
    Taken during the war years - The general theme may be odd and and bizarre but there are some excellent
    street scenes within the City that also shows acres of open fields just outside the city walls, In contrast to the built up areas on the same fields today.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best quirky little cafe in Canterbury is Boho, lovely food, weird decor, sixties music, mad owner....great place :cool:

Boo Boos :D

Certainly quirky Twass, great food and a good atmosphere. The table clothes stapled to the tables made me smile

OP, I fell in love with Canterbury straight away and it's surrounding areas, not a resident obviously but I reckon us tourists count :)