Cyril Smith - The Paedophile MP - Channel 4 - 12/09/13

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all - jjust airing now - anyone watching?

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alright...... Let's learn about this sick ****!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten all about Cyril Smith in the Yew Tree (?) scheme of things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten all about Cyril Smith in the Yew Tree (?) scheme of things.

It's almost as if the 'razzle dazzle' of showbiz as blinded folk to the potential for political scandal....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost as if the 'razzle dazzle' of showbiz as blinded folk to the potential for political scandal....

I think you've got it in a nutshell there. It's also maybe why this programme is on so late and why the thread is so empty!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently switching between here and a forum and a proper conspiracy site, both are unusually dead.....
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the Christians here- anyone get a feeling God is saying "RIGHT! I've heard the anguish"... hence how everything's coming out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    To the Christians here- anyone get a feeling God is saying "RIGHT! I've heard the anguish"... hence how everything's coming out?

I don't know about god, but something feels different....
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you believe that, what does it say about your god that it let all the stuff happen in the first place?
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    How he got to his grave without being charged with anything is unbelievable after watching this revealing documentary.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    How he got to his grave without being charged with anything is unbelievable after watching this revealing documentary.
    I had to rewind because I thought I misheard the CPS' explanation of why he was never brought to book. They 'promised' him in 1970 that he wouldnt be charged with the accusations made in the '60s which seemed to give him a free pass to do what he wanted with no risk of prosecution for the rest of his life. And we criticise other countries for having corrupt systems
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    If you believe that, what does it say about your god that it let all the stuff happen in the first place?

He's on talk talk?
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to catch the train with him to London from Manchester, and he used to have an extra large seat in first class.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sign of the times then though, everything being swept under the carpet, no rocking the boat. This is why Smith, Saville and others got away with it, even the police were guilty of ignoring things. All this is changing now though, hence all these high profile cases in the news......at long last.
    Smith was a repulsive looking man, what these poor boys endured doesn't bear thinking about. I think many people wish that he and Saville were still alive, so they could be brought to justice.
    There are probably others out there cowering in fear, waiting to be found out.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Smith was a repulsive looking man, what these poor boys endured doesn't bear thinking about. I think many people wish that he and Saville were still alive.

Smith and Savile were alike in portraying themselves as loveable larger-than-life harmless eccentrics-on which terms many people were happy to accept them.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Sign of the times then though, everything being swept under the carpet, no rocking the boat. This is why Smith, Saville and others got away with it, even the police were guilty of ignoring things. All this is changing now though, hence all these high profile cases in the news......at long last.
    Smith was a repulsive looking man, what these poor boys endured doesn't bear thinking about. I think many people wish that he and Saville were still alive, so they could be brought to justice.

In days gone by those "in positions of power" thought they were untouchable, and probably were above the law.

You see this in all aspects of life from incompetent, corrupt police (Hillsborough), abuses of power (Union officials lining their pockets) Councillors taking backhanders from property developers and child abusers being allowed to roam free at Childrens care homes.

It is a throwback to the old "officers and men" military way of doing things. I have worked for several companies where idiot directors have circumvented company procedures with disastrous results, and to be told I should not question their actions as: "they are a director".

A proper culture of whistleblowing is needed.
    But then you look at what has happened to people like Assange (or Andrew Mitchell - plebgate) to see what happens when those in power feel threatened.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Sign of the times then though, everything being swept under the carpet, no rocking the boat. This is why Smith, Saville and others got away with it, even the police were guilty of ignoring things.

I watched this programme, what happened and how, was a disgrace to society.

I wouldn't say it was (in this case) the police who ignored it - it's clear that they did what they could to prosecute him - at least in the early decades. But they were thwarted ultimately by political interference at MP and Government level, and subsequent "orders from above".

It seems to me that the corruption was at the interface between political/Government figures, and senior policemen who must have behaved like quasi-politicians instead of real policemen. I wonder if the method of appointing Chief Constables was a factor and if it could happen again?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets not take this thread in the religious direction, mm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People didn't really stand much of a chance with trying to get their abusers to face justice when it came to powerful and influential people, because the police just wanted it all swept under the carpet, probably because of fear of losing their jobs. A lot of bad things were covered up back then that would now be fully investigated. Such a shame that he was never exposed for what he was behind the scenes. It makes you wonder who else was doing this as well that was in a position of power. He had the cheek to talk about honesty as well. Nasty pig.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    I had to rewind because I thought I misheard the CPS' explanation of why he was never brought to book. They 'promised' him in 1970 that he wouldnt be charged with the accusations made in the '60s which seemed to give him a free pass to do what he wanted with no risk of prosecution for the rest of his life. And we criticise other countries for having corrupt systems

That was absolutely unbelievable. People with friends in high places.

Edit: I'm sure there was a post in General Discussion that had a link to a blog thing that named him as doing this sort of thing. People just dismissed it though.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A friend lived in Rochdale around that time, from what he says it was fairly common knowledge around the town.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    A friend lived in Rochdale around that time, from what he says it was fairly common knowledge around the town.

I can imagine that being the case. That a lot of people could know.
    I think the larger population though only see something as being real if the television and newspapers tell them it's real. Then they see it as fact.
    If the TV and the papers don't confirm it then it never happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the brother who not that long ago was on the news calling all these children 'dirty liars' :mad: and many other horrible names.

It would be great if he now apologised but won't hold my breath.

I wish some would realise that your brother....sister...son....daughter could actually be guilty of things they are accused of. Just because they are a sibling/family member does not make them not guilty.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical selective reasoning. Your 'God' gets the credit for the achievements of humans (such as exposing paedophiles), but never gets any blame for awful crimes.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »

The same was said of Savile at the BBC - but as Ian Hislop said on HIGNFY - there was no evidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't realised this was on and have just checked 4seven (sky 140) and its being repeated tonight at 11.35pm.

Just thought I would mention that if anyone else wanted to see it.