Options

Was I sold a bad deal?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a phone last week from the Carphone Warehouse on a 24 month contract. However I'm not happy with my monthly data allowance (250mb) and I went on their website and after looking at their deals on my phone and network provider, they offer a deal with the same minutes and text allowance but higher (350mb) data allowance...for the price I'm paying. I can't see my deal anywhere. I obviously asked the salesperson for the best deal, and I feel as though I've been shafted. Do I have a right to complain and demand my data allowance be upped to 350mb?

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    I bought a phone last week from the Carphone Warehouse on a 24 month contract. However I'm not happy with my monthly data allowance (250mb) and I went on their website and after looking at their deals on my phone and network provider, they offer a deal with the same minutes and text allowance but higher (350mb) data allowance...for the price I'm paying. I can't see my deal anywhere. I obviously asked the salesperson for the best deal, and I feel as though I've been shafted. Do I have a right to complain and demand my data allowance be upped to 350mb?

You have the right to cancel yout contract within 7 days if you are not happy with it. Or just call them and I'm sure they will give you what you want if you just tell them you saw it on their website.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he have the right to cancel? He will have used the service and not be covered by distance selling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    Does he have the right to cancel? He will have used the service and not be covered by distance selling.

It doesn't matter if you've used it. You can still cancel within 7 days and just pay for what you've used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not convinced you can if it was purchased instore.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter if you've used it. You can still cancel within 7 days and just pay for what you've used.

Not true.

The OP needs to refer to the returns and exchanges policy from CPW if he is looking to cancel the deal.
    http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{11675630-0cf5-11df-5538-f20203001e3d}

Another alternative is to ring up the network and see if they can put the OP on a different package.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE=anyonefortennis;69513421]It doesn't matter if you've used it. You can still cancel within 7 days and just pay for what you've used.[/QUOTE]

This advice is wrong. The seven day cancellation period ONLY applies to distance selling. If you buy in store your only right to cancel applies to a faulty handset or service problems. CPW may allow a cancellation but they are not obliged to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Not true.

The OP needs to refer to the returns and exchanges policy from CPW if he is looking to cancel the deal.
    http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{11675630-0cf5-11df-5538-f20203001e3d}

Another alternative is to ring up the network and see if they can put the OP on a different package.

I've just read that the CPW offer a 14 day cooling off period. I'm sure CPW will give you the extra 100mb if you just tell them you saw that deal online. They'll be glad to keep your business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks for the advice. So shall I phone the CPW or Talkmobile (my network) to ask for the extra 100mb?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

This advice is wrong. The seven day cancellation period ONLY applies to distance selling. If you buy in store your only right to cancel applies to a faulty handset or service problems. CPW may allow a cancellation but they are not obliged to.

I don't think I'd ask for a cancellation. Just an upgrade to 350mb per month from 250mb. To me it seems totally unfair that I was sold a package with a 250mb data allowance when an identical package with a 350mb allowance was available for the same price.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I'd ask for a cancellation. Just an upgrade to 350mb per month from 250mb. To me it seems totally unfair that I was sold a package with a 250mb data allowance when an identical package with a 350mb allowance was available for the same price.

Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not uncommon to get more for your money with tariffs bought online. You utilised the bricks and mortar store which have significant overheads compared to when bought online.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link to the deal you've found online?