Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 2)

Comments

• YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Yes that :D. things like that niggle me and yes i am taking this way too seriously :o:D No I am not a fan of Chloe either ..too fast to blame others.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were her or her bloke- never liked her either
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    Yera wrote: »
    I am a bit like Phil today- I have already cooked dinner in my mind!!! am seriously thinking about shutting myself in bedroom to watch it- 9pm last week hubby and kids became very chatty- they better not dare tonight-
    I am so pleased there has been no spoiler leaked- it has made the show worth watching and I have loved all the different theories on here

:D:D I remember those days of wanting to watch and hear a show and all the chatter starts at the wrong moment :mad:

I am lucky, I will be on my own with my dogs and I will most likely watch on +1:o
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    This gets everywhere this programme.

Even on Five Live football commentaries! The two commentators yesterday were talking about whodunit!
    Alan Green said he thought it was the female cops husband. Mark Lawrenson agreed with him!

Unlike Eastenders, it's like everyone IS talking about it! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Yes that :D. things like that niggle me and yes i am taking this way too seriously :o:D No I am not a fan of Chloe either ..too fast to blame others.

Me too haha! I'm acting like its all real... All I do is talk about it! My husband and kids are fed up of me constantly asking, 'who killed Danny?!?'

I don't think ill be disappointed whatever the outcome as to me the motive will be the most interesting part... What drives someone to murder a child?! Dean was my favourite with mark! When mark was at the table and said 'no we didn't know' I took that to mean.. 'No Beth didn't know...' I'm
    Probably totally wrong mind.. I'm rubbish at guessing the killer!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    :D:D I remember those days of wanting to watch and hear a show and all the chatter starts at the wrong moment :mad:

I am lucky, I will be on my own with my dogs and I will most likely watch on +1:o

I'll be watching the football on Sky, but I never watch it 'live' anyway. I V+ it and watch it later to avoid the adverts.

I'll happily watching knowing who did it when I do, cos I'll find out first!
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if it were her or her bloke- never liked her either

I laid in bed last night trying to work out who it is 'not'. They OC+DT) said the murderer was the person who broke into the beach hut and then ran off, so I am going by the size shape of them. not many fit the bill as they were tall and slim :confused: Unless that was another red herring.

I hope when the murderer is revealed I am like :eek:
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I'll be watching the football on Sky, but I never watch it 'live' anyway. I V+ it and watch it later to avoid the adverts.

:eek: How can you not watch live! I did miss a vital word out of my sentence that being "aswell", so I will watch it twice :D
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member

oh god I forgot the football is on tonight - I will have to hide the remote so they can't change channel :eek:
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit like Phil today- I have already cooked dinner in my mind!!! am seriously thinking about shutting myself in bedroom to watch it- 9pm last week hubby and kids became very chatty- they better not dare tonight-
    I am so pleased there has been no spoiler leaked- it has made the show worth watching and I have loved all the different theories on here
    I've always tried to avoid spoilers (which I count as anything from outside the story - no trailers, "Next Time...", cast interviews dropping hints on chat shows, deductions from cast list of future episodes, writers tweeting clues...) on TV shows but I often fail because some people just don't think or don't respect other people's desire to enjoy it in their way.

Now so many people have said similar things to you, wouldn't it be great if we could encourage other TV show producers to avoid issuing spoilers (esp trailers and "Next Time.... ") like Broadchurch has done with great success?

Actually, I think the absence of spoilers shows their confidence that Broadchurch is good enough not to need them. It's become so widely talked about that we can all enjoy it without needing to see hints or clues.

A show which needs to encourage people to watch by dropping hints which devalue the enjoyment of regular viewers in the hope of gaining a few more has fallen short of the standard set here.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Dan Wooten has just tweeted that there now will be a second series- anyone believe him?

If there is David Tennant will have to be in it. It won't be the same without him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. We’ve been told that it is possible to work it out from the clues we've been given, except that it involves separating the clues that really are clues from the red herrings.

A few random thoughts:
    In the closing moments of the penultimate episode, when we see the various main characters in bed, the shots come from the first episode apart from Nige and Steve who aren’t shown at the end of the first episode. As has already been pointed out, Tom is wearing a short-sleeved teeshirt which he is also wearing in the first episode, not the long-sleeved pyjama top we saw when Ellie was looking for his laptop. Paul the vicar is worrying about something – exactly the same shot as in the first episode. Ellie is asleep, not awake and angry as when we last see her after failing to find the laptop. Most importantly, Mark is in bed as in the first episode and wearing the same top, but this time he opens his eyes and looks in the direction of his bedside clock.

In the first episode when Beth oversleeps, we see a bottle of tablets beside her bed. It looks like temazepam – why is she taking an anti-depressant?

The digital clock in Danny’s room is flashing what looks like 2:14 – does that mean that’s the amount of time since the clocks were stopped and Hardy entering Danny’s room? Or it might be 12:14 which would make more sense.

When the Latimers are told that Danny’s death is being treated as suspicious, Beth and Liz react with shock and gasps. Mark and Chloe don’t react at all, and Chloe walks out of the room. People react differently to shock news, of course, but ... The next time we see Chloe is telling Dean, who wants to know if the police know about the two of them because Chloe is under age.

When Mark goes to see Danny’s body in the mortuary, he doesn’t touch the cover that’s up to Danny’s neck and can’t see behind him of course, so wouldn’t necessarily see the marks on his neck. He doesn’t ask how Danny died and he doesn’t kiss him which you might expect (though that may be a fictional device – I don’t know if relatives of murder victims actually do kiss the body).

I think it’s unlikely to be to do with sexual abuse of either Tom or Danny, as we’ve had that storyline already with Susan’s family. It would be a bit sloppy to have the same scenario here.

Most murders of children are carried out by someone they know, so psychic Steve isn’t really being very psychic in telling Beth that it’s someone close to her.

Not long now ...

BIB Mark did ask Ellie if he could touch Danny and she said no.

I think Chloe's reactions have been very strange throughout the series, but then as we keep saying people react differently to grief. Ahhh i just want to know!
  • highfidelityhighfidelity Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    If there is David Tennant will have to be in it. It won't be the same without him.
    Better hope he gets his pacemaker then! I did find it odd that a relatively young man who is in good health otherwise would be advised that he might not survive the operation to fit a pacemaker. Any operation is risky of course, but pacemakers are quite common. I wonder if there's something else wrong with him? He's had this problem for around 18 months, he said, so presumably as a result of the stress of the Sandbrook case and the breakdown of his marriage.
    Amasis wrote: »
    BIB Mark did ask Ellie if he could touch Danny and she said no.

I think Chloe's reactions have been very strange throughout the series, but then as we keep saying people react differently to grief. Ahhh i just want to know!
    She didn't actually speak at that point, but I thought her head gesture meant yes! I'll have to rewatch later. Why would he not be allowed to touch him at that point? So as not to get his DNA on the body perhaps?

Meant to add - when Danny was arguing with the 'postman', the person was taller than Danny of course, but not very much taller. Danny was 4'8" according to the board in the incident room, which suggests that the person he was arguing with was not particularly tall. So I think it actually was Kevin the postman who isn't very tall and also has short dark hair. Definitely not Paul who is fair or Mark who is a lot taller (or Nige/Joe who don't have short dark hair!). Though it may be significant that we couldn't see the Post Office insignia on the van as it was obscured by greenery.
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think the problem for the more detective of us watchers :D is that the series doesn't appear to have been designed with the idea of following the case from the angle of the actual police investigation - it seems more designed to follow the fall out and aftermath from the point of view of the people involved.

The day to day minuate of the foot slog part of the investigation seems to be accepted as going on the background rather than highlighted.

I don't think that because some routine police work hasn't been shown to happen, doesn't mean it hasn't happened - if that makes sense. Of course, it doesn't mean it has either ;)

I totally agree Aggs. I think the series is meant to be about the effect the death has on family, relatives and community and the police work is secondary.
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voodoosock wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this or not as I've been away this weekend so have lots of pages to catch up on! It's a review of broadchurch.., a very bad review! This reviewer gets paid to write this!! Are they watching the same show? Have a read and a giggle before tonight's show :)

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/04/15/review-of-broadchurch-–-series-1-episode-7/

Also just one question... Why did Alec request toms laptop AFTER he had it?! Was it to purely gauge a reaction from miller? Any thoughts??

I have read a few reviews from that source and I end up wondering if the reviewer does actually watch the programme... I remember the review for Episode 6 talked about Alec being strangled at the end of the episode !!!!
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll be watching the football first too. then Broadchurch on +1
    Some excellent viewing to be had tonight !!

:D
  • MissSylviaMissSylvia Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Just seen these online

Warnign could be massive spoiler in the 2nd picture

http://i35.tinypic.com/f2ms1w.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/15wi0e9.jpg
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dec7000 wrote: »
    What if Susan is an out and out liar? A very convincing liar! She was fully complicit in her husband's evil deeds and is still lying in Broadchurch. What if she deliberately implicated Nigel to get him off her back and to protect her real son?

What if someone, once they turned 18, found out who their real parents were? Fearful of who he is and what he may become he has endless sleepless nights and becomes an alcoholic! Perhaps his mother killed Danny and despite fighting the demons inside him he moves the body and reverently places it on the beach.

Or what if the son killed Danny because he found out this abhorrent secret and the demons took over? His mother knows this and does all she can, in her warped mind, to protect her son?

Probably not but....

Susan is my suspect now!
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I think the problem for the more detective of us watchers :D is that the series doesn't appear to have been designed with the idea of following the case from the angle of the actual police investigation - it seems more designed to follow the fall out and aftermath from the point of view of the people involved.

The day to day minuate of the foot slog part of the investigation seems to be accepted as going on the background rather than highlighted.

I don't think that because some routine police work hasn't been shown to happen, doesn't mean it hasn't happened - if that makes sense. Of course, it doesn't mean it has either ;)
    I agree. I said a few weeks ago that it's more than a story which follows a police investigation, it's at least as much about the effects on relationships and the wider community.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    I totally agree Aggs. I think the series is meant to be about the effect the death has on family, relatives and community and the police work is secondary.

I am sure you are right, I think I saw that the author said something along those lines.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter - Producer @RichardStokes7
    #Broadchurch tonight - don't miss the beginning and please watch to the very, very end. Thanks for joining us on the ride.

This means watch until AFTER the credits doesn't it?
  • highfidelityhighfidelity Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    MissSylvia wrote: »
    Just seen these online

That looks like a fake to me. The cliff isn't the sandstone cliffs of the Jurassic Coast
  • topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Twitter - Producer @RichardStokes7
    #Broadchurch tonight - don't miss the beginning and please watch to the very, very end. Thanks for joining us on the ride.

This means watch until AFTER the credits doesn't it?

Radio Times seems to think so
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-22/broadchurch-producer-tells-viewers-watch-to-the-very-very-end
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    dec7000 wrote: »
    What if Susan is an out and out liar? A very convincing liar! She was fully complicit in her husband's evil deeds and is still lying in Broadchurch. What if she deliberately implicated Nigel to get him off her back and to protect her real son?

What if someone, once they turned 18, found out who their real parents were? Fearful of who he is and what he may become he has endless sleepless nights and becomes an alcoholic! Perhaps his mother killed Danny and despite fighting the demons inside him he moves the body and reverently places it on the beach.

Or what if the son killed Danny because he found out this abhorrent secret and the demons took over? His mother knows this and does all she can, in her warped mind, to protect her son?

Probably not but....

This is a very interesting theory, Dec7000!

I must admit that I don't want Vicar Paul to be guilty of anything at all, because I find him a likeable and credible character.

And if there needs to be an explanation for Paul's insomnia and evident distress and concern - apart from Danny's death and the horrible situation through which he's trying to help the people of Broadchurch - then I really hope it's because Paul has seen or heard something that's caused him to suspect a member of the Latimer family of being involved, but has felt unable to reveal his suspicions either because he's not 100% sure, or because he believes that doing so will cause even greater damage.

But your theory would work rather well as a motivation, Dec7000, if Paul does have to be involved in some way.

What an ingenious bunch we all are!
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ddmatt05 wrote: »
    I think it all stems on something Mark was meant to do on the night in question, but didn't as he went off with Becca. Maybe he got Danny to do instead as he considered it safe.

It would explain Nige's comment 'what was the upshot' from the very first episode when Mark replies 'just drive'. Mark doesn't know as he's not seen Danny yet.

In Mark's interview after Becca confirms she was with him he says 'the one time I take him for granted, I lose him'. Could be guilt because Danny was where Mark should have been.

Would also explain Mark's dream where he comforts a wet Danny and says sorry.

Also think the very first scene with Danny on the cliff with blood or diesel on his hands is possibly just a metaphor for him dying while he was in the boat, bit more arty and gets our brains scrambled in the process :eek:

If not an arty metaphor has anyone suggested if it was blood that it could be from the barbed wire that was cut when the diesel was stolen??

That theory about Mark is excellent, makes a lot of sense to me, even if it does ruin my 'Mark is the murderer' theory...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissSylvia wrote: »
    Just seen these online

I looked at the first picture but, I have managed not to see the second one. Not sure if i shall be able resist it all day.
This discussion has been closed.