Options

Whats your favourate cheese ?

124»

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I mostly eat cheddar and mozzarella, but lately I've started eating Dutch cheese. I love Edam and Gouda cheese in sandwiches. I used to like Babybel as a kid but I don't really like them any more. Is Babybel even a real cheese?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    As strong a cheddar as possible, there is a cheese shop down the side of the closed market in Tavistock Devon and they sell a cheddar that takes the top of your head off :D love it. :D
    I wish I could get hold of that. I can hardly ever find cheddar that's strong enough. I simply can't see the point of mild cheese at all

I also like baked goat's cheese with a lentil salad (as at the Vaults cafe in Oxford), but I simply can't see the point in mild cheese. You might as well eat a lump of edible plastic.

To the person who said that 18 month old vintage cheddar is hard to get, it's extremely easy. Just go to Aldi or Lidl.
  • Options
    BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I like a strong cheddar as well as a good Lancashire cheese. The latter is perfect for melting with (Staffordshire) oatcakes - melted creamy cheese with a slight salty tang.

I tried Comté recently and that's really nice as well. Like a cheddar with a slightly nutty flavour.

Halloumi is also a favourite. I love the way it stands up to cooking, be it in the pan or in the oven.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally cheddar but lately I've become hooked on the Norwegian Jarlsberg slices - available from Sainsburys and currently on special offer.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roquefort
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Emmenthal, and the ''cheddar style free from'' in Tesco section

I am wasting loads of cheese and just use it for lasagne..i have wasted loads today and just cut of the moldy bits and grated the rest :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    My all time favorites:
    1. Gouda
    2. Parmesan
    3. Cheddar
    4.Mozzarella
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Gjetost :) and I have found a place to buy it here :D
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    My absolute favourite cheeses are goats cheese, halloumi and Brie.
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I think in a previous life I must have been a mouse as I could live on cheese and nothing else. Sadly, I cannot! My absolute fave is a Swiss cheese called Hagu Hans which is very similar to a mild cheddar in texture but the flavour is sharper with a creamy after taste. I only find it at the Zurich Christmas Market, in December.
    I also indulge in Italian Gorgonzola and mozzarella di bufala. The Grana Padano is something I eat as a dessert, with a splash of balsamic vinegar on top. To grate on pasta Parmigiano Reggiano is the best, a decent concurrence is a mature Pecorino, the sharper the better.
    Then there is the Quark cheese which i use for baking or for making a lighter tiramisu. Nothing forbids you to prepare dips with it as it's very versatile.
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Wensleydale <3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    M&S Cornish Cruncher Cheddar
    Keen's Extra Mature Cheddar
    Boursin - especially when melted on a steak or stuffed in a chicken breast and wrapped in parma ham!
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of them :D

Bit bored with bland whey-ey cheeses at moment tho.

But I have a real crush on St Agur. (Quick, £1.50 at Waitrose!).

Used to detest blue cheese. Heaven now.
  • Options
    kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Love edam, cannot get enough
    Tried a few slices of lidl edam a month ago and that was like rubber, yuk

Buy a different cheddar every week, some good some bad
    When I can get it I buy Cornish Yarg, yum on toast
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I like 5 counties(I like all of them so having in one is just perfect), and I am also liking the Duchy Original Cornish Brie and Duchy Original Cropwell Bishop blue stilton with a nice hunk of bread with some nice home made piccalilli. :D