Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier I suggested that Sheldon Cooper (from The Big Bang Theory) was Doc Martin, but I was wrong. I now think he's a distant relative and here are the reasons why:

He does not socialize well with others.
    He usually insults them.
    He doesn't seem that interested in sex (not as much as Amy is anyway.)
    He's very neat and organized, and has to have things a certain way.
    He believes people should knock before entering (Penny? Knock-knock, Penny? Knock-knock...)
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that Aunt Joan's clock was on the mantle behind Louisa in the breakfast scene (in the consulting room) in E7? Seems an interesting decision, since we have only ever seen the clock open and being worked on. Does this mean he has finished the repair of the clock? Knowing this show, there has to be some meaning there. I also thought it odd that Martin mentioned to his mother that the clock could be valuable - the only thing of value that Aunt Joan had. (We know there was an estimate a bit ago of her farm being worth £600,000)

What if Martin throws mummie dearest out and she decides to steal the clock? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I must be a fanatic........but we all know that already! ;)

Wow....what an evil suggestion. I noticed that clock, too, but didn't register that it was Joan's clock. So he got that going....? He got what was valuable of Joan's going again and gives it to Mummy or Mummy steals it from him? I love this program...sometimes we all crack me up!!! Good going Shop Girl. I am wondering how the money issue will be settled. I don't imagine his cash reserve is as healthy after Christopher's "endowment". Not that he couldn't afford to give his Mum money, I just hate to see him doing it at a loss to himself.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Earlier I suggested that Sheldon Cooper (from The Big Bang Theory) was Doc Martin, but I was wrong. I now think he's a distant relative and here are the reasons why:

He does not socialize well with others.
    He usually insults them.
    He doesn't seem that interested in sex (not as much as Amy is anyway.)
    He's very neat and organized, and has to have things a certain way.
    He believes people should knock before entering (Penny? Knock-knock, Penny? Knock-knock...)

You left off one "Penny?" (Knock-knock.) Always in threes! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    I enjoy Dm apart from the fact they make him too harsh - the awards ceremony was beyond fiction and no wife would seriously put up with oafish and rude behavior like that.

Soften him a little, make the Policeman a bit less cartoon and it would be a great show again.

Morwenna steals the series so far for me

Northerly, I agree about his being too harsh and had the same feeling about the award ceremony. I think I'd like a little restraint, his pulling back 10-20% when he totally goes manic. I think it would be less caricaturish and still communicate that he's agitated and anguished. The corollary was that hotel baby-searching scene in S5E8 where he's physically untethered and snaps at everyone. Regarding Penhale, where did Maggie's policeman go? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! LOL. You MUST have spent a LOT of time trawling through 17 parts of a thread with thousands of posts to dig up a post I made in 2007! :eek:I am amazed - and worried, TBH!

My comment was not meant as a crticism, just an observation that people often do hang onto something which they hold dear, and have invested in, even if it's no longer as good as it was.

Was the Xmas special the one with the Choughs? If so, yes that wasn't very good, but I haven't got a clue when it was. I am a casual viewer, and I would say that the first two series were the best and after that it did start to get patchy, but it was still watchable.

I read with interest earlier on in this thread that people on Facebook (not sure where) and elsewhere have complained about not wanting to post on here. It's no wonder that casual viewers don't want to comment as there are some on here who seem to take it personally if there is criticism of any aspect of the show.

Hah, no, afraid I didn't spend time doing a search. I had previously gone back to the very beginning of the forum just out of curiosity, to see what kinds of things people were saying back in the earlier days of DM. I noticed that there were some who disliked On the Edge and Series 3 and you have a memorable screen name. I took a look this morning and saw that my memory was correct. That's all. Not stalking or anything:D.

Yes, the Christmas special, "On the Edge", was the one with the choughs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice that Aunt Joan's clock was on the mantle behind Louisa in the breakfast scene (in the consulting room) in E7? Seems an interesting decision, since we have only ever seen the clock open and being worked on. Does this mean he has finished the repair of the clock? Knowing this show, there has to be some meaning there. I also thought it odd that Martin mentioned to his mother that the clock could be valuable - the only thing of value that Aunt Joan had. (We know there was an estimate a bit ago of her farm being worth £600,000)

What if Martin throws mummie dearest out and she decides to steal the clock? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I must be a fanatic........but we all know that already! ;)

No, I didn't notice, but must (of course) now re-watch that scene. I think you're right, that there must be a meaning. Not sure what it is though.

Cruella stealing the clock? Anything is possible. AR gave us the new information that Margaret was a thief when she was a girl. Or maybe when she asks Martin for money, he will hand her the valuable clock and tell her to get lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    You left off one "Penny?" (Knock-knock.) Always in threes! :D

:):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    Really nice summary! It helps to understand the Doc's back ground.
    I do not think that BP created this slow unwind to "rock bottom" just to create drama. They did this to demonstrate the importance of childhood emotional health.

All through the Doc Martin series, they have tried to introduce basic health concepts: immunizations, wear seat belts, babies should be in car seats, clean drinking water ETC. Here we have just an extension of their theme: the importance of mother's love in a child's life, child play and having a supportive partner as a role model. Together these are critical in a child's development health.

Doc Martin's character disclosure provided the vehicle for the emotional consequence of dis-ease occurring as a direct result of parental neglect and abuse.

Just like Louisa, we the viewers,(since the day we all became hooked on Doc Martin, the character) had no idea how bad Doc's his life was when he was growing up. Yet, we all knew something was not quite right.

Now as we see him in such pain, like Louisa, we want to run after him and ask why?
    If we took a string, tied it to the why in Doc's life, and followed it back to it's origins, who would it lead to? Of course, "Mummy" would be holding the string. (Freud)

If we had not followed the series, we would be incredulous, just like Louisa was before meeting Margaret Ellingham. We would never believed the Doc was ever treated so badly. He's smart, and lovable, was an excellent surgeon and clinician. How can a person with a successful career ever had had been treated badly?

On the outside he is successful, but on the INSIDE he still craved for the very utterance of love that brought him into the world.

People who have heard those words whispered into their ear, understand love. Here lies the difficulty. There are two groups, those who have heard the words and those who have not. Both groups have difficulty understanding the other's perspective.

It is those people who blame themselves as defective or problematic, whose ears were closed, to figure out, the words were never whispered.

For others, who have difficulty understanding friends and family who are in such emotional pain, it would mean accepting that person's story as TRUTH.

Paperchase, all good points, well put. What's amazing to me is that we learned in S2 how horrid his parents were and I thought there couldn't be a more awful mother, but now we're learning more. She's even worse than we thought!

The scenes shared by Ruth and Margaret were quite powerful and informative, I thought. My favorite line in E7: "Did you kill him?" It's news that Ruth and Margaret knew each other as schoolgirls. I now figure Chris and Margaret probably met via Ruth. Ruth was concerned not only about the damage Margaret did to Martin when he was younger, but also about her doing further damage!
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that Martin's mother still has money and the villa in Portugal? I think she came back to England for the reading of Christopher's will and found that Martin may have inherited money or property -- maybe even something related to Havenhurst Farm, although I think the entire farm went to Aunt Ruth at Joan Norton's death). She now will try to extract that inheritance from Martin. Since the funeral and the reading of the will was only two weeks ago, the solicitors may not have yet contacted Martin about any sort of an inheritance. Just a plot twist people, just a plot twist.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    Really nice summary! It helps to understand the Doc's back ground.
    I do not think that BP created this slow unwind to "rock bottom" just to create drama. They did this to demonstrate the importance of childhood emotional health.

All through the Doc Martin series, they have tried to introduce basic health concepts: immunizations, wear seat belts, babies should be in car seats, clean drinking water ETC. Here we have just an extension of their theme: the importance of mother's love in a child's life, child play and having a supportive partner as a role model. Together these are critical in a child's development health.

Doc Martin's character disclosure provided the vehicle for the emotional consequence of dis-ease occurring as a direct result of parental neglect and abuse.

Just like Louisa, we the viewers,(since the day we all became hooked on Doc Martin, the character) had no idea how bad Doc's his life was when he was growing up. Yet, we all knew something was not quite right.

Now as we see him in such pain, like Louisa, we want to run after him and ask why?
    If we took a string, tied it to the why in Doc's life, and followed it back to it's origins, who would it lead to? Of course, "Mummy" would be holding the string. (Freud)

If we had not followed the series, we would be incredulous, just like Louisa was before meeting Margaret Ellingham. We would never believed the Doc was ever treated so badly. He's smart, and lovable, was an excellent surgeon and clinician. How can a person with a successful career ever had had been treated badly?

On the outside he is successful, but on the INSIDE he still craved for the very utterance of love that brought him into the world.

People who have heard those words whispered into their ear, understand love. Here lies the difficulty. There are two groups, those who have heard the words and those who have not. Both groups have difficulty understanding the other's perspective.

It is those people who blame themselves as defective or problematic, whose ears were closed, to figure out, the words were never whispered.

For others, who have difficulty understanding friends and family who are in such emotional pain, it would mean accepting that person's story as TRUTH.

Powerful observations, paperchase. Thank you for taking the time to spell them out.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

I imagine such naivety must drive you TV experts mad!

I think anyone with any expertise must be driven mad by the naive/uninformed/unknowing person's comments at times. But that expertise enriches the conversation for me. It's just that sometimes we don't know the expertise of the speaker. (Part of what frustrates the Doc so much is his expertise and it not being followed or heeded. DM mirrors so much of real life, I swear.:cool:)

Now, don't get me started about what people think a teacher or librarian's job life looks like.....:mad:

And thank you, Mona, for your medical expertise that I find interesting as well. Mofromco, too.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too, but I went back and watched again and I think what he was doing was taking James out of the high chair and putting him into the stroller. The stroller was right behind him and I think he felt James was better off there while alone with Margaret waiting the 20 minutes until Michael arrived. Perhaps he just went to get something to keep him occupied and planned to wheel him into he consulting room while he set up for his day?

My thoughts, too, Shop Girl.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    This is really good news. I do so wish I could see it. To those of you at FB who may have seen my post last night, I apologize for the repetition, but one of the highlights of my life was when I saw the play, "Harvey", performed in London when I was 21 years old. Playing the lead, Elwood P. Dowd, was non other than Jimmy Stewart, who made the story famous in the film. We had to pinch ourselves to believe we were truly seeing it.

I also had a "duh" moment last night when I mentioned that the DM episodes starring Stewart and Anthony always reminded me of "Harvey", right down to the village woman who told Doc, "We've had Antony for years," a mirror of a comment from Elwood's aunt. That's when it finally hit me that S2 E4 was definitely designed with Harvey in mind. Harvey will always be linked with actor James Stewart. The park ranger in The Portwenn Effect was named Stewart James. Ding! They did this on purpose and it took me all of this time to figure it out. Call me goofy (or something else ;) ).

I didn't pick up on this either - makes the episode all the more enjoyable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Wow....what an evil suggestion. I noticed that clock, too, but didn't register that it was Joan's clock. So he got that going....? He got what was valuable of Joan's going again and gives it to Mummy or Mummy steals it from him? I love this program...sometimes we all crack me up!!! Good going Shop Girl. I am wondering how the money issue will be settled. I don't imagine his cash reserve is as healthy after Christopher's "endowment". Not that he couldn't afford to give his Mum money, I just hate to see him doing it at a loss to himself.

And to Shop Girl:
    That clock belonged to DM's grandfather (S5 E6) and was found in the trunk at Joan's along with those sad pictures of him as a little boy. And DM seemed to treasure it, and it was his grandfather who gave him something to dissect when he was 5 as well. So not Joan's sort of.

Anyhow, has anyone wondered whether Margaret E. was telling the truth when she said that she and his father had gotten back together? She said it very fast and it made me wonder if she was fibbing.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks that Martin's mother still has money and the villa in Portugal? I think she came back to England for the reading of Christopher's will and found that Martin may have inherited money or property -- maybe even something related to Havenhurst Farm, although I think the entire farm went to Aunt Ruth at Joan Norton's death). She now will try to extract that inheritance from Martin. Since the funeral and the reading of the will was only two weeks ago, the solicitors may not have yet contacted Martin about any sort of an inheritance. Just a plot twist people, just a plot twist.

You could be on the right track, at least the villa, maybe, or not. Havenhurst is out of the picture, I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone on another site suggested something very interesting about Louisa/s motivations for leaving, which at first I pooh-poohed and then I thought about some more. (I am not naming this person b/c of privacy, however, they should feel free to come forward and take credit!)

So, the theory was, suppose Louisa was unhappy and felt she had to leave b/c she believed Martin didn't love her anymore. That made her unhappy, and her assumption about his unhappiness is that it is because of her. Are we seeing the priest/pig farmer's warning playing out Can I make him happy? No, it seems not, and that makes me miserable.
    I think she does believe he loves JH, and perhaps that is what her sweet smile in the trailer was about

There are several bits that added together make me wonder if there isn't something to this theory. First, there's her very evident disappointment when he blew off the "two week anniversary." Then there was the "but I'm your wife" line, which I thought was delivered with some hurt and disappointment. Finally, the scene where she asks him if his problems are "because of me" and is not convinced by his answer. He's not confided in her, or responded to her, and probably, if he's as depressed as he seems, been privately (i.e. bedroom) affectionate either.

Now, not saying all those bits are entirely convincing --- but I wonder if they weren't meant to be? We know, or we think we know that she's pretty insecure; it would be no wonder if she attributed his current state to something she did, or tofalling out of love with her -- not looking beyond it more generally to what could be the matter. And, we remember, that she only agreed to come back to him in S5, when he was able to express his love to her.

We, the audience, know that she couldn't be more wrong. So now, we (or most of us, certainly not all) want to shout at him, go after her, man! Try to tell her that what's wrong has nothing to do with her and in fact is infinitely worse by her leaving and taking James, that in fact he needs her. As he does.

I doubt it will play out quite that romantically, but I'd love to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be on to something here, Bloodphobia. I remember Mommy Dearest having the villa, not necessarily having any money per se. Martin sold his flat in London to pay his father for his portion of Aunt Joan's farm. So, Christopher had that nice chunk of change, and maybe he did leave it to Martin in his will. Cruella de Ellingham may be trying to weasel that inheritance from Martin. She sure isn't there because she cares about her son and his family!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks for the interesting progression. I agree that this is essentially what's happening here. Martin hitting rock bottom is the central focus of S6. It's part of the natural progression and is pretty much what I expected and even hoped for. It's the start of the healing process that may come next.

Yes I agree that they are (trying :) ) to show you need to get (have) A before you get B. :rolleyes:

I'm also enjoying S6 for what I see as a natural :p ( for some -lol ... it would appear ), progression of a fictional show, although I have noticed (for the first time) there are a lot of repeated (medical and more) themes which for me is just a bit lazy for the powers that be!! Just hope they're not getting a bit complacent!!

Looking forward to the final episode but keep thinking that they might just kill Mrs E off :eek::eek: They wouldn't do that? :eek::eek::mad: Would they????? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Yes I agree that they are (trying :) ) to show you need to get (have) A before you get B. :rolleyes:

I'm also enjoying S6 for what I see as a natural :p ( for some -lol ... it would appear ), progression of a fictional show, although I have noticed (for the first time) there are a lot of repeated (medical and more) themes which for me is just a bit lazy for the powers that be!! Just hope they're not getting a bit complacent!!

Looking forward to the final episode but keep thinking that they might just kill Mrs E off :eek::eek: They wouldn't do that? :eek::eek::mad: Would they????? :eek:

RubyRedi, I am banking on MC's statement in an interview that they hadn't even decided whether or not they would "stay married" -- in response to a question as to whether they would allow foreign versions to get ahead of them with a second child, e.g. So to me it seems that the issue will be whether or not they stay together, and in the end -- perhaps the end of S7 -- how could they not? But if they killed her off at the end of S6, then the decision is basically made for them as to whether they stay married.

But here's a cheerful (not)addenda to that thought, which I'm putt]ing in spoilers b/c some haven't seen the trailer or read the press release:
    I think it's 50/50 whether we see her become conscious after her operation, and the season ends with some scene like DM at her bedside in the ICU, with monitors beeping, etc. etc. This gives them a few months to decide what to do next -- keep them married, have them split, or LE dies. [Certainly gives them a bit of leverage in contract negotiations with CC, should they choose to use it].

Certainly not everyone feels this way, but I agree with those that feel that Louisa's demise would also be the demise of the series, though it might drag on for season as a pale shadow of its former self.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    RubyRedi, I am banking on MC's statement in an interview that they hadn't even decided whether or not they would "stay married" -- in response to a question as to whether they would allow foreign versions to get ahead of them with a second child, e.g. So to me it seems that the issue will be whether or not they stay together, and in the end -- perhaps the end of S7 -- how could they not? But if they killed her off at the end of S6, then the decision is basically made for them as to whether they stay married.

But here's a cheerful (not)addenda to that thought, which I'm putt]ing in spoilers b/c some haven't seen the trailer or read the press release:
    I think it's 50/50 whether we see her become conscious after her operation, and the season ends with some scene like DM at her bedside in the ICU, with monitors beeping, etc. etc. This gives them a few months to decide what to do next -- keep them married, have them split, or LE dies. [Certainly gives them a bit of leverage in contract negotiations with CC, should they choose to use it].

Certainly not everyone feels this way, but I agree with those that feel that Louisa's demise would also be the demise of the series, though it might drag on for season as a pale shadow of its former self.

Wouldn't your spoiler be --- gasp -- too soap opera????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't your spoiler be --- gasp -- too soap opera????

This isn't a soap opera? :rolleyes::D
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They might kill Mrs T or Aunt Ruth. I always fear they are going to kill Louisa but after the headline in a newspaper said
    "Will Louisa die?" I began to rest easy.

Aunt Ruth enlightens Martin and gives him the strength to face his demons and then has a heart attack in her home. Martin doesn't know this as he saving Louisa at the airport. Next series starts with Aunt Ruth's funeral. :cry:

Mrs T was a little wobbly, so if she stops taking her meds she could go, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »

Yes, I do very much agree - to me Louisa is very much what makes the show work (IMO CC is very much under rated).... but the Doc as a single parent would (surely) have a whole new remit :eek: and give the powers that be a whole new road :eek::eek: x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do very much agree - to me Louisa is very much what makes the show work (IMO CC is very much under rated).... but the Doc as a single parent would (surely) have a whole new remit :eek: and give the powers that be a whole new road :eek::eek: x

Yes, there's that. :(:cry: But I'm betting against it. Unless contract negotiations go very badly (and why should they?)
This discussion has been closed.