Cabinet Reshuffle- Rumours and what you have heard?

Comments

• tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens to Goves reforms now ? Surely Education is more important than Chief Whip ?
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Most of his work was done. If the PM had moved HE back to DfE he might have had more to focus on.

According to James Forsyth, his move was discussed and agreed a fortnight ago and that Mr Gove had been fully involved in the idea.

This is an election cabinet.

I agree.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    What happens to Goves reforms now ? Surely Education is more important than Chief Whip ?
    No, not in the run up to an election. The Chief Whip is key to party discipline and his enhanced media role means he's going to be on the tv a lot.

As for the reforms, it's going to be as what happened at Health - broadly the same policy but led by a SoS who does not instantly get the union's backs up.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Eric Pickles? Where's he taking his lunch hamper to every day?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    I feared Gove would do an IDS, but fortunately he's gone somewhere he can't do much damage.

Depends on how you look at it. In his new position he will play a key role in the Tory Party re-election campaign. To give you an idea of how key, the word is that he has Cameron has been discussing all these appointments with Gove over the past two weeks.

Politically, Gove is a heavy hitter and if anyone can ensure the Tory Party are all singing from the same songbook - he can. All things considered, if I was a Labour supporter, I'd have preferred him at Education and let Lansley continue to sleep his way through the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Fallon confirmed as new defence secretary.How boring
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of his work was done. If the PM had moved HE back to DfE he might have had more to focus on.

According to James Forsyth, his move was discussed and agreed a fortnight ago and that Mr Gove had been fully involved in the idea.

Absolutely right. This is putting the pieces on the board for the 2015 campaign.

It'll be interesting to see how Ed responds.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    No, not in the run up to an election. The Chief Whip is key to party discipline and his enhanced media role means he's going to be on the tv a lot.

How is Gove appearing on TV going to help anyone but Labour?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's starting to look like one of the big losers of the day is Esther McVey.Looks like there's nothing for her after all

PS spoke too soon-she's just walked into no 10...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup. It puts Hague and Gove right at the centre of the campaign without big departments to run. It puts a friendlier face in Education and gets rid of a lot of the deadwood. It will be an election run on domestic issues so sending Hammond to the Foreign Office will be to keep it out of the headlines.

I expected Sajid Javid to move. He deserves his place in the Cabinet but DCMS seemed to be a strange fit for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yup. It puts Hague and Gove right at the centre of the campaign without big departments to run. It puts a friendlier face in Education and gets rid of a lot of the deadwood. It will be an election run on domestic issues so sending Hammond to the Foreign Office will be to keep it out of the headlines.
    BIB, a very good point and spot on imho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is not universally hated no matter what you think and he articulates political arguments very well.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Let's hope he doesn't try to use the wrong gate and end up swearing at the police.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From Isabel Oakeshott
    Michael Gove is the politest most articulate politician I know. But he can lace saccharine with menace. He'll make a formidable chief whip

In a nutshell he'll run rings round the opposition on TV. He's smarter, sharper and more eloquent.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Absolutely right. This is putting the pieces on the board for the 2015 campaign.

It'll be interesting to see how Ed responds.

He'll say that there is a cost of living crisis. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I expected Sajid Javid to move. He deserves his place in the Cabinet but DCMS seemed to be a strange fit for him.

he's only there for 10 months anyway.He'll probably have some election campaigning role to augment it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You may not like or agree with him but he's bright, a very strong debater and could easily take on anyone from Labour who are very short on good media performers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think of any cabinet vacancies that haven't been filled now, except for Ken Clarkes 'minister without portfolio' job, which is basically minister for paperclips. Any more changes will be shuffling people around who are allready there
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically . . . . . . Cameron has just announced the end of government business for the parliament and the start of preparations for a 8 month long general election campaign that will kick off with the conferences?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may not like or agree with him but he's bright, a very strong debater and could easily take on anyone from Labour who are very short on good media performers.
    Yes, I wonder who his principal media opponent will be? Not Rosie Winterton, that is for sure.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    From Isabel Oakeshott

In a nutshell he'll run rings round the opposition on TV. He's smarter, sharper and more eloquent.

TV is a visual medium. It doesn't matter what you say if you look like Gove or Redwood. Anyway Chief Whip is not a role compatible with a high public profile. 'Enhanced role' is probably just a verbal sop and Gove will be kept out of the voters' sight before the election.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically . . . . . . Cameron has just announced the end of government business for the parliament and the start of preparations for a 8 month long general election campaign that will kick off with the conferences?

Pretty much, yes. With a fixed term Parliament that was always going to happen.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's still a fair amount of Government business (I believe there's more than Labour had tabled in their final year), but essentially, you're right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much, yes. With a fixed term Parliament that was always going to happen.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Yes, that was my main objection to a fixed term - too long a campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wonder who his principal media opponent will be? Not Rosie Winterton, that is for sure.

Hmmm... the Eagle Sisters, Harman, Balls...

They'll probably lead with Umunna as he looks good on TV even though he's lacking in any substance.
    TV is a visual medium. It doesn't matter what you say if you look like Gove or Redwood. Anyway Chief Whip is not a role compatible with a high public profile. 'Enhanced role' is probably just a verbal sop and Gove will be kept out of the voters' sight before the election.

Totally disagree. Most political commentators are saying that he'll be right at the front of the campaign.