Opinion Polls Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »
    What happens if Labour has a Shadow Cabinet Reshuffle? Will that be a superficial stunt? I bet you'll fall for it if there is one!

Most of them would, double standards do not exist in the eyes of the left-wing voters. ;-)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they only seem to like trending upwards during election campaigns. So don't get too concerned it will be back up at the next campaign. I gather this starts in April.

:D:D
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouGov/Sun poll

Con 34; Lab 38; LD 6; UKIP 13

Dreadful for Lib Dems.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    YouGov/Sun poll

Dreadful for Lib Dems.

They will do better than that next year because of the way they fight and hang onto their seats
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    YouGov/Sun poll

Dreadful for Lib Dems.

Looking at the numbers for yesterday, Labour is 45% in London and the North but still at 30% in the south
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    YouGov/Sun poll

Dreadful for Lib Dems.

UKIP support increases by 50 per cent in a day and LD support halves compared to ICM - or maybe nothing has changed and all we are getting are varying pollster methodologies rather than actual changes in voting patterns!
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    When will we get the UKIP shadow cabinet line up or who their dept spokesmen are ?

No idea.^_^

It will be interesting to see their policies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current prediction is a small Tory win, possibly around the same or less seats than they currently have.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    My current prediction is a small Tory win, possibly around the same or less seats than they currently have.

I predict a Labour majority of 550.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the back of all that you have been posting over many months, I have to query whether that is a serious post or not.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These polls are nonsense, face it.

Labour have a small lead I would guess, finger to the wind style...
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe you really think that.... if you do then explain why your position has shifted.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    I don't believe you really think that.... if you do then explain why your position has shifted.

I was surprised as well:confused:
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they only seem to like trending upwards during election campaigns. So don't get too concerned it will be back up at the next campaign. I gather this starts in April.

The problem for UKIP is that they aren't part of a lot of the day to day political coverage. Most UK political stories involve the government and the official opposition and there's isn't much room for other opinions.

Take yesterday for example: obviously the focus is on the Tories, however the news also reported Labour's response. The fact that the Lib Dems are in government means they also get a mention "Lib Dem ministers to be reshuffled soon". UKIP is completely absent. This pattern is repeated for most major political news stories, UKIP are only given airtime if the story is about Europe or immigration or obviously anything to do with the party itself.

So it's only natural that it's support will slip back whilst it's being denied the oxygen of publicity. Once conference season, election campaign, arguments about Europe/immigration roll back round they will pick up.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The problem for UKIP is that they aren't part of a lot of the day to day political coverage. Most UK political stories involve the government and the official opposition and there's isn't much room for other opinions.

Take yesterday for example: obviously the focus is on the Tories, however the news also reported Labour's response. The fact that the Lib Dems are in government means they also get a mention "Lib Dem ministers to be reshuffled soon". UKIP is completely absent. This pattern is repeated for most major political news stories, UKIP are only given airtime if the story is about Europe or immigration or obviously anything to do with the party itself.

So it's only natural that it's support will slip back whilst it's being denied the oxygen of publicity. Once conference season, election campaign, arguments about Europe/immigration roll back round they will pick up.
    If UKIP was open abut its policies and had spokesmen covering every topic then they might be talked about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If UKIP was open abut its policies and had spokesmen covering every topic then they might be talked about.

I think you'd be surprised by how many responses a party like UKIP releases. A quick look on their website shows a reply to all of the main issues of yesterday (including, amusingly, an attack on the number of privately educated Tory ministers). I expect the Greens and Nationalist do the same. The issue is that the mainstream media simply doesn't have the time to include them unless they are deemed especially 'newsworthy'.

Now that UKIP is officially a major party, it's views are guaranteed to get a lot of coverage in the 2015 general election. The question is whether they are able to remain part of the Tory v Labour, Cameron v Miliband narrative that the campaign will almost certainly descend into.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP down to single figures.

I'd take that result at the election: Tories would be out.
    Remind me again - which party was against a reform of the electoral system :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

They're not stupid, they'd rather lose a few election than ensure a permanent end to Tory majority government.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to consider is procrastination of the public.

Because people know the GE is in May2015 there is no need to consider it at the moment.

If we were in a normal situation where the government could call an election at any time then there would be a buzz in the air and consideration of the issues, such as the NHS.

As we enter into December and the New Year might everything change with regards polls as people start to think about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouGov/Sun

: CON 33%, LAB 36%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Surely not the very same party and its supporters who are whinging about the current status quo.:D
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    I was surprised as well:confused:

And he hasn't come back to explain his position...
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    And he hasn't come back to explain his position...
    I suspect he just wants to be correct on the outcome - a bit like Rupert Murdoch :o
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I predict a Labour majority of 550.

I hope that's a mistype, Labour aren't going to win seats like Weston super Mare. ;-)
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    I hope that's a mistype, Labour aren't going to win seats like Weston super Mare. ;-)

Jol had just come out with this pearler:

It was so much the complete polar opposite of anything else he's ever said, I thought I'd respond with a similar degree of self-parody.
This discussion has been closed.