Options

Are you a good photographer?

Comments

• Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    You should be able to bring the exposure up in Lightroom or whatever you use to process your RAW files (the exif in flickr says you shot in RAW+JPEG so you should have a RAW file).

You could have cranked the ISO up to 400 which would have helped as well
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I attempted some pictures of my newly born Niece & while the family are happy with the pictures for a rushed job as we were extremely pushed for time, I took about 40 shots in the space of 10 minutes. I am not happy with them as I didn't get in close enough for her to take up the entire shot. This is the only photo that I have uploaded, but is the best one out of a bad bunch that didn't have the flash fired and it was in quite a dark room.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123892097@N03/14717965463/

That's a shame!
    Pity you didn't get more time!

That shot could be fixed in editing.
    Remember to look at using exposure compensation if the images are too dark or too light.
    For future reference, if you don't mind me saying....without flash...you could set exposure to manual, ISO to 800 to get a higher shutter speed and aperture to f2.8.
    If the first shot was a little dark then I would turn exposure compensation to the right to brighten the image.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    That's a shame!
    Pity you didn't get more time!

That shot could be fixed in editing.
    Remember to look at using exposure compensation if the images are too dark or too light.
    For future reference, if you don't mind me saying....without flash...you could set exposure to manual, ISO to 800 to get a higher shutter speed and aperture to f2.8.
    If the first shot was a little dark then I would turn exposure compensation to the right to brighten the image.

No of course I don't mind you saying, I am never going to learn from my mistakes if I don't post them for the more professional photographer to see & to comment on. As far as exposure compensation goes, as soon as I took each photograph, I had a look in the preview screen & at my histrogram, then changed a level or 2 within the exposure bracket. If I had more time, then I would have been able to concentrate on what I was doing, instead of just being trigger happy, in the hope that some shots came out. What type of editing do you recommend ?. Now that I am back home on my laptop, I have the free canon software & lightroom already installed & ready to go :)

Next time I see my Niece will be in September and I will actually be staying in the same house, so will have plenty more chances of taking photographs & improving on shots.

My Dad also kept his word and kindly lent me his Canon 70-300 IS lens, so will be taking that to the zoo during the week & see how it compares to my 55-250 IS. :)
  • Options
    LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no photographer but my fiance is a keen amateur. I think she is great considering she really only took it up this time last year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cuppyuppycake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lojen wrote: »
    I'm no photographer but my fiance is a keen amateur. I think she is great considering she really only took it up this time last year.

Yes! Very nice :D

I visited Texas a few years ago, including Dallas, Houston, and Galveston Island :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No of course I don't mind you saying, I am never going to learn from my mistakes if I don't post them for the more professional photographer to see & to comment on. As far as exposure compensation goes, as soon as I took each photograph, I had a look in the preview screen & at my histrogram, then changed a level or 2 within the exposure bracket. If I had more time, then I would have been able to concentrate on what I was doing, instead of just being trigger happy, in the hope that some shots came out. What type of editing do you recommend ?. Now that I am back home on my laptop, I have the free canon software & lightroom already installed & ready to go :)

Next time I see my Niece will be in September and I will actually be staying in the same house, so will have plenty more chances of taking photographs & improving on shots.

My Dad also kept his word and kindly lent me his Canon 70-300 IS lens, so will be taking that to the zoo during the week & see how it compares to my 55-250 IS. :)

As Dave said, you have a RAW file so you can import it into Lightroom and edit the photo in there. I only take photos in RAW and import them into Lightroom before editing them and converting them to jpg which get exported to my documents (windows live photo gallery.)
    If you need any help with Lightroom just ask.

It will be useful to compare your lenses, will be good to see how you get on.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I absolutely loved looking at those.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

those are FAB!! she has a super eye.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow she's good! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those are FAB!! she has a super eye.

I took it 'fiancé' is a he, as opposed to 'fiancée'? :blush:

Edit: oops never mind, the poster said "she".
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My camera is a Canon 6D (full frame) I have a Tamron 70-300 VC USD lens, a Tamron 24-70 VC USD lens, a Tamron 90mm macro lens, a 50mm Canon 1.8 lens and lots of other stuff.

I had a 5D MK III and now a D800 although I never bothered with Tamron glass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 5D MK III and now a D800 although I never bothered with Tamron glass.

The 6D is very similar to the 5D3, except for the number of focus points there isn't much between them.

The Tamron Macro is highly regarded as a Macro lens as is the Tamron 24-70 VC USD.

I had these lenses with my 550D.

I will be buying a Canon 135f2 shortly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some photos I took last night.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/peugeot407/

The first 12!
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's with all the f/14 shots don't you find diffraction killing the sharpness? Some of them look like ISO 4000 and 10000 on a sunny day/evening(?) and the grass kind of looks like green mulch and seems weirdly processed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with all the f/14 shots don't you find diffraction killing the sharpness? Some of them look like ISO 4000 and 10000 on a sunny day/evening(?) and the grass kind of looks like green mulch and seems weirdly processed.

So you liked them...I'm really pleased :D

I used auto ISO because the lighting was very tricky...it might have seemed sunny, which it was outside of the dark trees, but it was dark....low ISO would have given me dark photos.

It was also very close to sunset.

There were 3 at f14, the one I took of the 2 women with the canoe was an accident, I forgot to reset the f number.
    Take a look again at the ISO and f numbers.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you liked them...I'm really pleased :D

I used auto ISO because the lighting was very tricky...it might have seemed sunny, which it was outside of the dark trees, but it was dark....low ISO would have given me dark photos.

It was also very close to sunset.

I think FrankieFixer is saying that you would have had more light and thus a lower ISO, if you used a different F stop setting?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think FrankieFixer is saying that you would have had more light and thus a lower ISO, if you used a different F stop setting?

The light was very difficult, plus he hasn't looked properly at the f numbers, he's being over critical!

A different camera would have been unusable in places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The light was very difficult, plus he hasn't looked properly at the f numbers, he's being over critical!

A different camera would have been unusable in places.

I'm not an expert but the photos look OK (in terms of light) to me. But I thought FF was just offering advice?

Can editing software show what the photo would look like with a different F stop? Or can that only be done before taking the photo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the best photo sharing site? I might put up a few of my efforts :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

Photobucket, Flickr or Tinypic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

As above you can see I use flickr....I also use photobucket, but it's up to you, there are lots out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert but the photos look OK (in terms of light) to me. But I thought FF was just offering advice?

Can editing software show what the photo would look like with a different F stop? Or can that only be done before taking the photo?

Lightroom can change any number of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lightroom can change any number of things.

Would it be able to change depth of field?

I was just wondering if it would be a good way to learn about how the settings on the camera change the way the photo looks.

For instance if I could change the F stop setting in lightroom and see how bright or dark the photo looks.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Would it be able to change depth of field?

I was just wondering if it would be a good way to learn about how the settings on the camera change the way the photo looks.

For instance if I could change the F stop setting in lightroom and see how bright or dark the photo looks.

have you tried playing with this?

http://camerasim.com/apps/camera-simulator/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried playing with this?

http://camerasim.com/apps/camera-simulator/

I've not seen that before, it looks very good, thanks very much.