Options

Manson

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there a thread on this?? I can't see it...apologies if so!!

This docu-drama (ch. 5) is interesting and sets the tone of the late sixties well I think...well, my dad says so!!!

Sharon Tate was so beautiful. She was killed in the most brutal way - I can't believe people idolise Manson!!

Is anyone else watching it??

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess not!! :confused::confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm half watching it.
    It's quite fascinating how he got people to do all that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it.

Wow. He must have been one charismatic psychopath. Obviously, I can't comprehend the thoughts of his followers, but his hold over them was intense, if this docu-drama is anything to believe.

What a tragic end to Sharon Tate's life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :):):)

Phew...I thought I was alone there!!

Well, it's the Rasputin effect or something...Svengali-like figures with huge charisma attract vulnerable people, especially women, who are looking for something they will never find in these people!! Cult leaders always seem to have something going on with their eyes, too!!

Apparently every city has a cult!!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite amazing. Usually with cults there's religion involved and that seems to draw people in. With this it's just pure charisma.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. They've cleared up a lot of mystery for me about the crimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching it, i thought it was brilliant and sad esp seeing those shots of Sharon Tate. Sounds a bit ghoulish but i love these type of docu-dramas. The one last week about the Jonestown massacre was just as compelling and tragic to watch
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I watched the whole thing. It was extremely well made, very atmospheric and true to the details that I've always known. Having seen, just last week, the crime scene photos in colour and close up, these people have deserved to stay inside all this time, and more.

I remember there were awful rumours at the time that Sharon had her baby cut from her body. Thankfully that never happened, although of course, they both died horribly anyway. But it was suggested in the film that one of the Manson girls wanted to do just that.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite amazing. Usually with cults there's religion involved and that seems to draw people in. With this it's just pure charisma.

It seems religion was involved.
    He told them that he was Jesus and Satan combined into one.
    Sounds like he mixed up some kind of satanism with some new age gobbledegook.

I suppose that the Hippies back then were sitting ducks to any cult leader who came along spouting new age ideas.
    You just present yourself as being into peace and love and then get people who have become mentally compromised by these ideas to do whatever you want them to.

It makes me wonder if Manson was taught some brainwashing techniques from somewhere. Because all these cult leaders appear to be experts in brainwashing techniques. I think it would take a bit more than just charisma alone.

I thought that this was pretty well made. A lot better than your standard docu-dramas. The acting was much better than I'd expect to see in an average docu-drama.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Chilling stuff. Coud anyone read the credits - they were so small couldn't see who played Manson - and can't see anything on imdb about it.
  • Options
    stillrockinstillrockin Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Chilling stuff. Coud anyone read the credits - they were so small couldn't see who played Manson - and can't see anything on imdb about it.

I've recorded this so I'm looking forward to taking a look.

The actor who played Manson is evidently Adam Wilson.

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/entertainment/article/276707--manson-murders-lookout
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I've recorded this so I'm looking forward to taking a look.

The actor who played Manson is evidently Adam Wilson.

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/entertainment/article/276707--manson-murders-lookout

thanks for this - interesting article. Have read a lot about the case and the film is very faithful to the story and all the actors especially Adam Wilson as Manson are superb.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it. I like to watch these things with my full attention and no interuptions (and we have guests last night).

I have read a few books and articles about Manson, and what his 'followers' did was indeed chilling. Manson must have been a charasmatic man, and he was very good looking. In fact, most 'cult' leaders are very pleasant to look at.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What amazed me was how chilling the female killers looked, even after capture as they walked into court. I wonder what was different about the one who got away that allowed her to avoid becoming what they became.
  • Options
    RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about this and missed it.
    Its not on Demand Five online - anyone know if its online anywhere or due for a repeat eg on FiveUS ?
    I can't access the lisitngs at the moment.
  • Options
    sneekssneeks Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this and it did make me wonder if Linda Kasabian really was just a bystander to all that happened or not. Have any of the other 'Family' members ever said any different?
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 6,885
    Forum Member
    I thought this was brilliant. Atmospheric and chilling, the scenes when they were outside the Tate mansion were nerve-wracking.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What amazed me was when they played an actual recording of Manson singing one of his own compositions. It was actually very good, he had a nice voice and it was a great song, very typical of the time. I hate to say it was good, as he is such an evil man, and you would never have known that this now evil looking nutcase could sing so sweetly.

I wonder what road he would have taken had his musical talent been recognised then? It could have happened that Terry Melcher got him a deal, he became a big star in the style of say, Jim Morrison, and none of those dreadful events would have taken place. We will never know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the last hour of this,was really good what i saw of it,id also like 2 know where i can watch it online,like the previous poster said its not on 5 demand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I too have read quite a bit about Manson - fascinating story, and one that led me to Roman Polanski's films, which I have come to love (The Pianist is absolute genious).

A good book about Manson (mainly the Tate & LaBianca murders) is Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (one of the narrators on the Manson programme) and Curt Gentry

Music-wise, yes he is quite accomplished (I do actually like some of his work) and also wonder what would have happened if he had got a record deal; although after having spent about half his life (at the time of the murders) in institutions I think he would have eventually ended up back there or self-destructed. http://www.find-cd.co.uk/search.aspx?title=charles+manson&type=artist will find you some of his work (although I'm sure it will be available elsewhere if you look).
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    When they introduced Linda Kasabian at the start they said that her identity would be obscured...

...and then it wasn't. At all.

Unless a slight shadow on the left cheekbone is supposed to render her unrecognisable?