Options

Sinusitis

cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
Forum Member
✭✭
For the past 3 and a half years, I had problems with what I thought was either constant colds or allergies. My health was so bad that I went to the doctors a couple of years ago and had blood tests, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I do try and eat healthily and exercise, get plenty of fresh air and rest etc, so I was a bit mystified.

But having read up on sinusitis, I think I may possibly have this. I didn't realise that this condition in itself could make you feel ill. Even before the deterioration in my health, my sinuses have been pretty rubbish - they have always felt dry and 'bunged up' and I frequently have catarrh in the back of my throat. It often stops me sleeping due to not being able to breathe clearly. (My bedroom constantly smells like olbas oil!)

I've tried various cold and flu tables, allergy tablets and nasal sprays and nothing works very well, just give me a little bit of relief sometimes.

Just wondered if this sounds familiar to anyone, and if it's worth approaching my doctor about. I've been a bit discouraged by some of the comments on the NHS website - they seemed very negative - saying that their doctors weren't very helpful, they had had operations that hadn't worked etc, but then I know sites like this often get spammed by people trying to sell their own remedies.

Comments

• Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can have your sinuses flushed. My friend had somethink like this done.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that works with me if I have sinusitis is Mucron. Just one tab immediately starts clearing it. I have tried most of the other sinus tabs but nothing works as well and as quick as Mucron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I think you can have your sinuses flushed. My friend had somethink like this done.

Sounds interesting, if a bit scary! Did it work well for your friend, do you know?
    The only thing that works with me if I have sinusitis is Mucron. Just one tab immediately starts clearing it. I have tried most of the other sinus tabs but nothing works as well and as quick as Mucron.

Thanks! Is this a prescription drug?
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently have sinusitis - put up with it for three weeks this time before visiting the Doctor now on antibiotics, should definately have gone sooner feeling really poorly at moment been taking the antibiotics since 1st February. Tried to go to work today but almost passed out there and was sent home.

In the past when I had bad case of it they sent me to ENT following my treatment to check all cleared up ok etc, they had to pop a camera up my nose which did show that one side has a curve/bend in it which probably doesn't help as that side gets blocked more.

They did tell me to use the saline solution spray for irrigation (Boots sell it) But as far as those other nose decongestant things go be careful as over using them can stop your nose doing it's job you could have Rhinitis Medicamentosa which is rebound nasal congestion from using the decongestants.

Might be worth a trip to your doctor to discuss your options, hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently have sinusitis - put up with it for three weeks this time before visiting the Doctor now on antibiotics, should definately have gone sooner feeling really poorly at moment been taking the antibiotics since 1st February. Tried to go to work today but almost passed out there and was sent home.

In the past when I had bad case of it they sent me to ENT following my treatment to check all cleared up ok etc, they had to pop a camera up my nose which did show that one side has a curve/bend in it which probably doesn't help as that side gets blocked more.

They did tell me to use the saline solution spray for irrigation (Boots sell it) But as far as those other nose decongestant things go be careful as over using them can stop your nose doing it's job you could have Rhinitis Medicamentosa which is rebound nasal congestion from using the decongestants.

Might be worth a trip to your doctor to discuss your options, hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, I think I will go to the doctors as it's ridiculous now! I've been ill on and off since before Christmas this time around and it's getting me down. I've almost fainted a couple of times in recent weeks - not good!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, if a bit scary! Did it work well for your friend, do you know?

It did, actually it could have been something to do with her adenoids. I will double check.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    It did, actually it could have been something to do with her adenoids. I will double check.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I suffered with sinus on and off for years.

Then about 4 years ago I stopped eating wheat, I was totally wheat free for about 6 months. Now I have the odd meal a week, like normal pasta as a treat. Then usually the next day I get a bit of nasal drip and a bit of a cough, nothing major.

But have not had sinus since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twee wrote: »

Then about 4 years ago I stopped eating wheat, I was totally wheat free for about 6 months. Now I have the odd meal a week, like normal pasta as a treat. Then usually the next day I get a bit of nasal drip and a bit of a cough, nothing major.

That's interesting, I have heard of that link before. And I do eat quite a lot of pasta, I love it. Might be worth my while keeping a food and illness diary for a while, see if there are any links.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've suffered badly with my sinus over the years........ the longest I went without being able to smell anything was 4 months, it's the pressure that gets to me. on the outside you look fine, but on the inside you feel as though your head wants to explode. It's like a flu, but without the sneezing and the runny nose... anti-biotics does help, but you cannot keep on taking them all the time, or your body will become resistant....

people kept on recommending sudafed, to which I kept on repeating - cannot take that i'm allergic to it. I've got this nasal spray stuff - it works, and I also put a dab of tiger balm up my nose - that stuff will work on most things... I can live without being able to smell, however the food takes bland when I'm suffering with it...... that's the ONLY downer....

what works for one person, will not necessarily work for the other....... try what you can - hopefully you'll find a remedy that'll help.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you had your thyroid checked.?

it's a common symptom with thyroid problems. Repeated sinus problems, colds, sore throats etc..
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you had your thyroid checked.?

it's a common symptom with thyroid problems. Repeated sinus problems, colds, sore throats etc..
    nothing wrong with my thyroid..... I've suffered with sinus problems (as well as ENT) since childhood....
    :)

didn't think that would be a symptom for thyroid sufferers..... of the few that I know have thyroid issues (and are taking medication for it) none of them have had ENT problems....

but maybe the OP should ask her/his doctor if it is a thyroid problem...
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    For the past 3 and a half years, I had problems with what I thought was either constant colds or allergies. My health was so bad that I went to the doctors a couple of years ago and had blood tests, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

I had constant (and I mean constant) headaches for many years. They were either better or worse, but always present. I had other symptoms as you have described, too. After a battle with the bloody-minded doctors, they finally did a proper scan, which showed a diverted septum and sinuses that were not formed properly. Because they were too small, they always painful.

One operation later, I am much improved, but will always be susceptible to sinusitis.

I cannot possibly know whether this is the case for you, but it seems worth exploring a cause like this, if your symptoms are permanent, as mine were.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thats really interesting. I've had sinusitus for months now but didn't eat any bread at all last week and was having no sinus pain at all. Had a sandwich this lunchtime and now I'm sat here feeling like I have a pea shoved right up my nose and pain behind my eye again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had problems with my sinuses for a couple of years now and have been on anti-biotics a couple of times with it. The pain is mainly in my cheekbones which I have the whole time but I started doing a nasal rinse only last week and the pain definitely seems to be easing. It took me a while to do it the first time, felt a bit uneasy about the whole putting a salt solution up one nostril and having it come down the other but it's absolutely fine. Have also read of people giving up dairy products and that helping too.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

suffered for years i have , ever since my teens.. diary food should be avoided. makes more mucus..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    nothing wrong with my thyroid..... I've suffered with sinus problems (as well as ENT) since childhood....
    :)

didn't think that would be a symptom for thyroid sufferers..... of the few that I know have thyroid issues (and are taking medication for it) none of them have had ENT problems....

but maybe the OP should ask her/his doctor if it is a thyroid problem...

It is for overactive thyroid certainly. I was back and forward to the docs every few weeks getting another dose of antibiotics.

I went misdiagnosed for years until I ended up in casualty. Apparently when you are overactive it means a sort of exaggerated immune repsonse to everything so a mild sore throat becomes tonsilitis etc.. same goes for sinus issues, I was always in pain and blocked up. The thyroid medication dampens down the immune response and so clears it up.

Of course this doesn't mean this is the cause of other sinus problems just that it might be worth ruling it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice and info, everyone. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow so I'll see how that goes. I'd love to feel well and have normal health again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    suffered for years i have , ever since my teens.. diary food should be avoided. makes more mucus..

If you are still sufferring, might be worth looking at other reasons.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nasonex nasal spray has done me wonders. I use it for the polyps I have and it has changed my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely ask for a thyroid panel to be done (TSH, FT4, FT3 and antibodies) and if possible a 9am cortisol test. You have ENT problems and allergies that have only surfaced in the last 3 years, which means something has changed in your immune system. That's how I started out. I started getting asthma during the pollen season.....I hadn't had asthma for decades! Then the sinusitis started, then the coughs and colds.....which became more and more severe and turned to chest infections as time went on. Then, well, I just conked out!

All these symptoms you're having can indicate thyroid and/or adrenal problems (although I'm not saying it definitely is). Nothing to be afraid of, they are treatable....as long as you're willing to put up a fight for the right medications. When you get your blood tests back, DO NOT be appeased with the doctor saying "everything's normal". Get your ACTUAL numbers because the GMC's "normal ranges" are ridiculous and you can be completely ill while still in their stupid normal range. The reason is that when they tested their normal ranges, because the onset of endocrine illnesses is so gradual, some of the "healthy" people they were testing were just undiagnosed.

TSH above 1 is too high. A morning cortisol under 500 is too low, and under 400 you should be sent for a synacthen test to check for severe adrenal insufficiency.

Good luck!