So, did any penalties at all result from Amy's contraband?

triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I didn't see all the episodes. With David's charge that Amy was "cheating" and the moaning generally from the others about her contraband and not being a team player after two previous chances to hand it in, did any of them actually lose food or suffer any sort of penalty because she kept some?

Comments

• greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they didn't lose anything
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    triton333 wrote: »
    I didn't see all the episodes. With David's charge that Amy was "cheating" and the moaning generally from the others about her contraband and not being a team player after two previous chances to hand it in, did any of them actually lose food or suffer any sort of penalty because she kept some?

Have any penalties EVER been imposed in any series of IAC?
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    No they didn't lose anything

As I suspected, it was always an empty threat and Amy was smart enough to realize that and take advantage of it, whereas David and Kian and Lucy were just moaning and groaning and complaining as though it was a genuine threat.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I suspected, it was always an empty threat and Amy was smart enough to realize that and take advantage of it, whereas David and Kian and Lucy were just moaning and groaning and complaining as though it was a genuine threat.

It was more to do with the fact that they were all doing as they had been told and Amy just disregarded it and COULD have lost the camp food. Are you actually thinking that Amy was better than the rest of the celebs because she chose to ignore the rules?
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    It was all a storm in Lucy's inflated double EE cup.
    Much ado about nothing.
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the producers had imposed a penalty, there may have been more action from the campmates instead of the boring bitching. Lesson learned for next year I hope, but I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was more to do with the fact that they were all doing as they had been told and Amy just disregarded it and COULD have lost the camp food. Are you actually thinking that Amy was better than the rest of the celebs because she chose to ignore the rules?

I'm thinking that it was never a serious matter for the show - just an excuse for a bit of controversy and better ratings. We saw the light-hearted way Ant and Dec treated it. Well, I think Amy saw it for what it was and played along and got to enjoy some comforts the others didn't, whereas the others misread it completely by taking it oh so seriously and denied themselves similar comforts. In hindsight they look a bit silly.

I think when David looks back at the episodes he's going to be embarrassed that he quite seriously accused Amy of "cheating" when she was just treating it all as a bit of fun, which it was.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish they'd have taken the food away from everyone the second time she failed to give it in.

They should have, she might have learned something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish they'd have taken the food away from everyone the second time she failed to give it in.

They could only do that by proving she didn't hand it all in, which would have required a follow-up inspection. She probably knew they wouldn't do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could only do that by proving she didn't hand it all in, which would have required a follow-up inspection. She probably knew they wouldn't do that.

They could have come in and asked for her bag, it was completely obvious where it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have come in and asked for her bag, it was completely obvious where it was.

Yes, that's what I meant. Inspect the bag, but they weren't going to do that because the issue was never really treated seriously by the show. David and Kian and Lucy were sucked in, while for Amy it was all a joke and she's probably still laughing about it.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact Amy didn't go anywhere without her bag should of aroused suspicion from the producers..the fact she came out the dunny looking flawless should of aroused suspicion .. I believe it did but they allowed it to go on so they could use it as a story line
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amy wasn't asked to tip out the contents of her bag in the hut or leave it in there for examination so it really was much ado about nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what I meant. Inspect the bag, but they weren't going to do that because the issue was never really treated seriously by the show. David and Kian and Lucy were sucked in, while for Amy it was all a joke and she's probably still laughing about it.

So, you think she KNEW there would be no consequences?

I'm not sure how you can be so sure. They were all told, and they all thought it was a RISK.

I don't think it's possible to state that she knew it wasn't a RISK.

Nobody did, including the viewers.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    Amy wasn't asked to tip out the contents of her bag in the hut or leave it in there for examination so it really was much ado about nothing.
    It was indeed - and it was all the fault of the producers.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The fact Amy didn't go anywhere without her bag should of aroused suspicion from the producers..the fact she came out the dunny looking flawless should of aroused suspicion .. I believe it did but they allowed it to go on so they could use it as a story line

Oh I'm sure they knew. The cameramen were there a couple of feet away. if us viewers could see the make up then I'm sure they could. The contraband wasn't hidden, she was wearing it on her face.
  • peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Does anyone really care if someone in there had something they shouldn't...or was 'lazy' ?

We're not in the jungle with them so it doesn't affect us
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, you think she KNEW there would be no consequences?

I'm not sure how you can be so sure. They were all told, and they all thought it was a RISK.

I don't think it's possible to state that she knew it wasn't a RISK.

Nobody did, including the viewers.

She couldn't have been certain, but it was obvious from her exit interview that she thought she could get away with it and never took it seriously.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member

No and when she realised that the camp might be penalised, she gave up all her stuff. Over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She couldn't have been certain, but it was obvious from her exit interview that she thought she could get away with it and never took it seriously.

She thought she could get away with it - that just shows she was willing to RISK the camp losing food, for the sake of her makeup and bikinis.

It was a risk she was happy to take - and they were all very hungry too.

Do you think taking that risk for all of them, was worth it for her trivial stuff? She's beautiful enough surely?

'She never took it seriously' - to me that shows that she always thinks like that - and doesn't care about rules or other people that much. Or perhaps she 'gets away' with a lot, and always has done.

Doesn't look great however you look at it.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that it was never a serious matter for the show - just an excuse for a bit of controversy and better ratings. We saw the light-hearted way Ant and Dec treated it. Well, I think Amy saw it for what it was and played along and got to enjoy some comforts the others didn't, whereas the others misread it completely by taking it oh so seriously and denied themselves similar comforts. In hindsight they look a bit silly.

I think when David looks back at the episodes he's going to be embarrassed that he quite seriously accused Amy of "cheating" when she was just treating it all as a bit of fun, which it was.

Well said.

It mostly seems faux outrage or else making a big deal of it as a way to try to justify Lucy's unpleasantness, or to keep her less acceptable issues with Amy out of sight.

When Big Brother housemates definitely do cheat (by trying to influence nominations) and get other HMs to suffer loss of hot water or food or whatever because of a punishment, people don't make as big a deal of it as was made over Amy's "contraband".

In the most recent BB, Dexter even broke the rule against discussing nominations while he was in 'gaol' for breaking the rule, and he remained one of the most popular housemates.

Nor has so big a deal been made of IAC contraband in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri, I thought I'm a Celeb was different from BB.

If I had thought it was the same I wouldn't have bothered.

It's not ABOUT winning and 'playing a game' in the same way is it?
  • IoanaPIoanaP Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were not all doing as they were told though. They all would know they not allowed to take things into the jungle with them but they still did.

So 5 or 6 of them were doing it. So when did it change to be cheating?

It is hypocrical of all of them who had also done it. Those who choose to bring extra things in did it knowing lots of other camp mates did it before. There is even a news article published two or three weeks before telling them how a girl called Jenny brought gum and make up into the camp before (in her bra). I also read how Gino di Campo and other brought things into camp before. David Hay was caught bringing protein shakes into the camp for himself.

In this situation the group is close because the people who make the rules will be think of as the enemies of the group. So it is unusual for people in group like this to make drama out of Amy doing it when they all did also. The way the group did not stay close with Amy about this is sign they did not see her being in their group and it was excuse for the group to find something to put on Amy and mark her with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    No and when she realised that the camp might be penalised, she gave up all her stuff. Over.

Wasn't she told that about the first two amnesties as well? There's no point having an amnesty if there's no incentive to hand in your stuff. Besides, she handed it over with only a few days left, by which time it didn't matter how many extra bikinis she had.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member

maybe the others learned something
    that they were not clever enough to think of smuggling a bit of contraband themselves
    I still cant believe how upset Rebecca and Lucy got over a few bikinis
    Ihave often thought they were more miffed that Amy had the brains to smuggle stuff in and they didnt
    all the clap trap about them being a team, since when has IAC been a team game