Options

Anyone Have an English Bull Terrier?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
I have been wanting to get a dog for a while. I have had two dogs in the past, both Yorkshire Terriers (gorgeous dogs and great personalities) but another would just remind me too much of my last one and I want to keep the memories, but would still love a dog.

One of my favourite dogs is an English Bull Terrier but I have no experience of them and have heard they can be a handful. Does anyone have one and can they offer advice or confirm just how much of a handful they are?

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend has one, he's huge lol but a big goofball, lovely temperament.
    Sometimes they can be a bit headstrong, especially in adolescence, but sounds basic training helps.
    If you are used to very small dogs, I'd definitely recommend going and seeing a few EBTs, get a feel for how strong they are :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    There's someone who lives by me and he has one. It's a gorgeous snow white one, and when I've petted him he's been very jumpy and friendly, and I stopped a dog walker who had about 7 dogs with her. One of them was an EBT and when I asked her what she was like, she said "Oh she's as daft as a brush, but the friendliest thing ever" so I get the impression that the majority are friendly.

By contrast, as a child someone lived in my nan's neighbourhood who had one and they barked a lot and was rumoured to have bitten someone's arm and locked their jaw so it wouldn't release it! I suspect the owner was more to blame for the animal's temperament, though, and have long since lost my fear of them. :) Thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a myth they can lock their jaws, no bull breed can, they are just strong and determined lol

Oddly, my Mum said when she was a kid, bull terriers were always seen as 'iffy' maybe their temperament has been improved over the years. I've never met a 'bad' one IYKWIM.

You can get mini ones too, I've only seen them at Crufts, but they have a reputation as fun little characters.
  • Options
    SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    It's a myth they can lock their jaws, no bull breed can, they are just strong and determined lol

Oddly, my Mum said when she was a kid, bull terriers were always seen as 'iffy' maybe their temperament has been improved over the years. I've never met a 'bad' one IYKWIM.

You can get mini ones too, I've only seen them at Crufts, but they have a reputation as fun little characters.

I was walking our dog a while back and chatting with a couple fellow dog owners , one of them told the story of how his dog had been bitten by a bull terrier and it had locked jaws on his dog's ear and neck area . Anyways as the owner was trying unsuccesfully to force open it's jaws with a stick - a complete stranger , passing by , bent down behind the Bull terrier and burnt it's balls with his cigarette lighter !!!!!!

Not surprisingly it let go instantly .

Incidentally , in the Bull terrier's defence it was the other dog who had started the fight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no dog has lock jaw. Its just the pure stubbornness of the dog.

EBT are lovely. My friend has a girl who is getting on a bit now. Absolutely gorgeous all white friendly little charmer she is. Her and my staffie love each other.
    The only time she gets a bit funny is with a tennis ball, you cant get it off her and have to let her play until she passes out. They have such big wonderful personalities.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have one. He was like a toddler in a dog suit- great fun, very tiring though. He was also the friendliest dog I've ever owned- he loved everyone apart from one guy from New Zealand, who he hated with a vengeance. I digress, sorry. Get one, they're great, but be prepared to be tried out, they have an insatiable appetite for playing and generally arsing about.