Rewind the 60s

CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched Lulu & Jimmy Tarbuck reviewing stories from the 1960s this morning on BBC1. As someone who was around in my teens and early 20s at that time I quite enjoyed the programme.

However, I didn't much like the studio decor which almost made me put my sunglasses on. With Lulu wearing white clothes and with a completely white background, at times you could only make out her head.

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meant to tape this , was it any good ?
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

l didn't see it, so l don't know how good it was, but in case you didn't know there are four more episodes to go, all this week at 9:15am on BBC1. There's no sign of a repeat of episode 1 though.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I enjoyed it, brought back memories. As I said, not too sure about the studio decor.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    With Lulu wearing white clothes and with a completely white background, at times you could only make out her head.

I'd say that was an advantage.

Lulu - Yuch! Scotland's disgrace when she started using the Yankee drawl. Now she's the Botox queen.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Lulu - Yuch! Scotland's disgrace when she started using the Yankee drawl. Now she's the Botox queen.

You certainly live up to your name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »

Botox? No, no, no, it's all down to her own range of skin cream and good genes. She said.
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice version of Telstar they played. Nothing to do with the 1960s, but nice. Was it intentional, or did the researchers not know the difference between an original and a re-recording - assuming what they played on the show was even by The Tornados?

Somebody also ought to update William Roache on James Hanratty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Once I'd stopped having a migraine from the ultrabright set (Lulu's head almost looks like it's been dismembered, there was so much white going on), I quite liked this. However, whereas Lulu was all over her old pal Jummy Tarbuck yesterday, she was more aloof and distant with Sanjeev Bhaskar this morning.

A highlight today were the twins employed by Fred Pontin to run the first holiday camp abroad. Surely, the 'twins' in Hi-de-Hi were based on these charming chaps.

I love recent, social history, and although this was more my parents' time (me being a mere child of the 70's, and all), it is a superb collection of clips and recollections from an era of immense change.

Still think Lulu is a rude, botoxed old trout, but you can't have everything, eh?
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luca wrote: »
    Nice version of Telstar they played. Nothing to do with the 1960s, but nice. Was it intentional, or did the researchers not know the difference between an original and a re-recording - assuming what they played on the show was even by The Tornados?
    Joe Meek would have turned in his grave faster than Telstar went round the world to have heard that travesty of 'Telstar'. :mad:

Though how great to see a clip of the Undertakers on yesterday's programme, even if it was more likely to have been filmed in 1963/64, than 60/61.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Botox? No, no, no, it's all down to her own range of skin cream and good genes. She said.

Huh, she looks so different to how she did, I think she's had a head transplant.
  • LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    Joe Meek would have turned in his grave faster than Telstar went round the world to have heard that travesty of 'Telstar'. :mad:

Indeed.

Joe Meek (undead) would have probably forced his way into the studio and delivered summary and blasting justice to whatever spotty oik with a 2:1 in media studies who dared to find that appalingly ghastly muzak version of such a great pop record and they'd have played muzak no more.

This is what hacks me off about these types of shows - poor, bloody research. Is it so difficult to recognise what the original hit of the time sounded like and to play a thirty seconds or so clip of it? Lulu isn't going to pick up on it, is she? She's just going to look and hear blankly throughout the whole event. She wouldn't know her Telstars from her Belle Stars if they collectively fell on top of her.

It's just another case of weak TV produced on behalf of the BBC by God knows who. If you cannot do better than this rubbish, BBC, give us thirty minutes of Nai Zindagi Naya Jeevan, or alternatively a double-ender of Captain Pugwash and Mary, Mungo and Midge, or if that's not possible, just close down until Homes Under the Hammer begins.