Would You Have Done The Same?

rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yesterday lunchtime i needed some shopping but didn't have any cash and as my nearest cash machine is quite a walk in the snow i decided to bite the bullet and use the one in the small corner shop which charges you £1.65,

I put the card in and asked for £10 but £20 came out!!

I thought i must have pressed the wrong button got my shopping and went home,

Later on as i do on line banking i was checking my account and was surprised to see that i had only drawn out £10 from the shop plus the charge,

I told my Wife about it and we decided to check it again using her card and sure enough she asked for £10 and once again £20 came out,

As we get on quite well with the people in the shop and its only a small family run place we told them about it and refunded the money,

They were very grateful and thanked us a lot for letting them know,

It does make you wonder how long the machine had been giving out the wrong amounts and who is responsible for any losses?

Would you have done the same or just stayed quite and kept the cash?

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dunno if it's possible but I wonder if they loaded £20 notes into a space that was supposed to hold £10 notes?

Personally, I probably would have told them and handed the cash back but I'd expect to be mocked for doing it. :(
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the shop owners are responsible though. Think the machine owners are. Thery come every so often to refill the machine as I saw them once. May be wrong but don't think the shop-keepers have access to these machines.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have handed the cash back, curse that darn conscience my parents gave me, then would have gone home and kicked myself for being so stupid so I can't win what ever I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I didn't think shops had anything to do with the machines? All the ones I have seen say something along the lines of

staff have no access to machine please call 0123456789

I think the shop may have just gained some free money
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I don't think the shop owners are responsible though. Think the machine owners are. Thery come every so often to refill the machine as I saw them once. May be wrong but don't think the shop-keepers have access to these machines.

what he said, and on that basis i would keep the money.
    on any basis if it were my corner shop because he`s a robbing git.
  • rifleman19rifleman19 Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure about that as they have been burgled a few times and now i believe empty the machine every night and i cant see the machine owners coming around to do that.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mahcine has nothing to do with the shop. I wouldn't have told anyone, withdrawn as much as I could and wait to see if anyone got in touch.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I would have kept it.

Yes, I'm that naughty.:D
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I didn't think shops had anything to do with the machines? All the ones I have seen say something along the lines of

staff have no access to machine please call 0123456789

I think the shop may have just gained some free money

Some businesses have access to the machine, some dont.

Soem leave it all to the ATM company, and some fill the machine from their own safe, if they have put the notes in the wrong cartridge, then yes it probably vend the wrong notes, but it is all tracable, and anyone coming out with the wrong notes, could find the ammount being ammended later by the ATM company, or the shopkeeper loses the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Some businesses have access to the machine, some dont.

Soem leave it all to the ATM company, and some fill the machine from their own safe, if they have put the notes in the wrong cartridge, then yes it probably vend the wrong notes, but it is all tracable, and anyone coming out with the wrong notes, could find the ammount being ammended later by the ATM company, or the shopkeeper loses the money.

So although i refunded the money, Is it possible the ATM company will debit my account so i end up the loser??
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    rifleman19 wrote: »
    So although i refunded the money, Is it possible the ATM company will debit my account so i end up the loser??

I'm not 100%, i have spoken to an ATM engineer about just this issue last year as they were installing one in our store.

According to him, he has never known a machine to give away the wrong notes without the people involved ending up paying the money back in some way, dont know if that would be simply taking the correct amount or contacting your bank, and you beig told the amount will be debited on a certain date, but of course being and ATM representative, he would tell me that.:D
  • allfiredupallfiredup Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this machine exactly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I'm not 100%, i have spoken to an ATM engineer about just this issue last year as they were installing one in our store.

According to him, he has never known a machine to give away the wrong notes without the people involved ending up paying the money back in some way, dont know if that would be simply taking the correct amount or contacting your bank, and you beig told the amount will be debited on a certain date, but of course being and ATM representative, he would tell me that.:D

Thanks i will just hang on and see it i hear anything and take it from there!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allfiredup wrote: »
    Where is this machine exactly?

Ha Ha that would be telling!!
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you for being so honest:) I think I would have just thought it was good fortune if it was a one off in a shop I never use otherwise, but if like you, it was a local shop I use regularly I definitely would say something.