Coming Soon: Greek, Bust and Broke

OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This had a promising premise of showing how the youth are suffering in the recession as it effects people all around the world.

However they apparently found someone in a chip shop to present the show who can't even pronounce the Acropolis properly and refers to riot shields as "police riot barrier thingees" as if the concept of a shield is beyond her comprehension.

It's like An Inconvenient Truth being presented by Catherine Tate doing her Lauren Cooper routine. The only saving grace is it's not got Dawn Porter, her replacement "middle class life is so tough" ditherer Cherry Healey or George Lamb either.

Seriously, they have a girl about to jump off a goddamn ledge and our presenter is trying to emote the significance and desperation of the situation but it's like she's a call center operator reading a script for all the actual emotion coming across... it's like the decided to get the least educated and qualified person for a very important situation who can barely grasp the concept of the task she's been ask to undertake. I'm half hoping someone nicks her Pat Butcher earrings and a chase ensues given the comical presentation of a serious situation so far.

Comments

• fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also said the shields were made out of glass, that doesn't sound safe to me, it was at that point I switched off.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    What are peoples problems with Stacey Dooley? I think she did well and unlike most news reporters she was in the thick of the action! even standing on a balcony with missiles flying past her. What people seem to forget is BBC3 is a youth station and youth presenters will more than likely be the forefront of the presenting. I thought the show highlighted things well and I felt I could watch the programme and take everything in more so than just a quick 5 minute report on the news.

I have watched previous docu's starring Stacey and think she comes across as a nice polite person and who has a personality. She was also genuinely touched and frightened as well as understanding of what was going on. I just find negative comments about her a bit unwarranted. No doubt I'll find a slating thread about the police brutality programme just because Adam Deacon presented it who is a young. Pisses me off that the youth of today try something and are shot down in flames almost instantly! just watch the programme for what its supposed to be about and leave the petty comments out of it.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    What are peoples problems with Stacey Dooley? I think she did well and unlike most news reporters she was in the thick of the action! even standing on a balcony with missiles flying past her. What people seem to forget is BBC3 is a youth station and youth presenters will more than likely be the forefront of the presenting. I thought the show highlighted things well and I felt I could watch the programme and take everything in more so than just a quick 5 minute report on the news.

I have watched previous docu's starring Stacey and think she comes across as a nice polite person and who has a personality. She was also genuinely touched and frightened as well as understanding of what was going on. I just find negative comments about her a bit unwarranted. No doubt I'll find a slating thread about the police brutality programme just because Adam Deacon presented it who is a young. Pisses me off that the youth of today try something and are shot down in flames almost instantly! just watch the programme for what its supposed to be about and leave the petty comments out of it.

It is her ability that is the issue not her age. There are plenty of very able young presenters..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »

Saw this last night and whilst the narrative of the program was riveting, choosing Dooley to present it was an abysmal choice. Totally clueless about politics of Greece, she could have at least done some research on the country and its major economic problems beforehand. Its the basics of a presenting job to research your subject, there was scant little evidence of it.

BBC Three may want to employ young people to front such a show but make sure they can at least the presenters know something of the country. Richard Bacon would have been great choice.

Even such a lines as "That's the Acropolips,.Am I saying that right? Acropolips?." weakened the impact of the program and undervalues its content.

Comments are not petty, it was supposed to be a hard hitting insight into three states economic and social problems. The Program at best was satisfactory at best. BBC Three had a real opportunity to bring the economic crisis into people's consciousness instead it turned a promising program into carry on with stacey dooley.

Also the fundamental lack of the response from the Greek government was telling.

The premise of the program had promise but it failed to deliver on so many levels.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This had a promising premise of showing how the youth are suffering in the recession as it effects people all around the world.
    I don't think it was about youth, especially. It was showing the human cost of the economics on all ages. That's mostly what Stacey does. If you want to understand the economics itself, there are other programmes. The idea of this one is to get a feel of what it's like to live through that situation.
    Seriously, they have a girl about to jump off a goddamn ledge and our presenter is trying to emote the significance and desperation of the situation but it's like she's a call center operator reading a script for all the actual emotion coming across...
    Maybe you've forgotten what sincerity looks like? There are presenters who are good at emoting, who can be happy or sad on cue as the piece requires. Stacey's charm is that she's more genuine.

And maybe more spontaneous. She followed up that suicide story, found out where the woman had worked and went and spoke to other employees about the situation. That wouldn't have been planned in England before they left; it just evolved.

On one level, I'd love to know how much is Stacey and how much off-screen producers, but on another level, it doesn't matter.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    It is her ability that is the issue not her age. There are plenty of very able young presenters..
    Agreed. While she is young and obviously inexperienced that is not a crime (and easily remedied). However, she does come across as being vacuous and very shallow. Also she doesn't appear to even be able to read the script with any degree of fluency.

Not knowing how to pronounce Acropolis is such a basic error - much worse than people saying nucular when they mean nuclear - that what little credibility she might have started with drained away completely at that point. It was apparent that she had not done (presumably hadn't felt the need to do) any research or background information gathering. That gives the impression the programme makers don't hold the audience in high regard.

It's also worrying that the BBC think they can get away with such low quality factual programming, just because it's on BBC3.