Pericoronitis

fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
Forum Member
Has anyone ever had this before? I first got it back in July/august time, it was so severe I had to go to the dental hospital out of hours and get an anaesthetic injection to numb the pain, I was given a weeks worth of antibiotics (Metroniadazole) and it went away for a couple of days, unfortunately it came back so was given another week and it cleared it up.

On Thursday it started hurting again, but nowhere near as bad as the first time, I phoned the dentist on Friday who advised that it's usually manageable at home and to gargle warm salt water after eating and use antiseptic mouthwash. I've been doing that since Friday and over the weekend it eased, today it's sore again. Like I say it's nowhere near as bad as the first time and it seems to be in just one place whereas the first time it spread all down one side of my mouth.

Does anyone know how long it can take to clear up? And if there's anything else I should be doing?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of it before but found this on the web.

http://www.zetadental.co.uk/article-198-How-Is-Pericoronitis-Treated.html
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I had it. Most painful thing ever.

Had the wisdom tooth removed in the end.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had something similar - my wisdom teeth are through but I have flaps of gum over them and occasionally everything swells up quite dramatically.

My first line of attack is TCP - wonderful stuff - soak a cotton bud in TCP and dab it all over the affected area. Every hour or two.

One time this didn't work and I then tried Bonjela - fabulous stuff - and everything calmed down.

The salt water and mouthwash are a good idea but in my experience you need to put something directly on the area.

Hope it gets better soon.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Thanks all.

Fondant, I've got someone to go out and get me some TCP - do I just use a cotton bud and dab it on the area?
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should also make sure the water it as hot as you can stand and leave it resting over the area before spitting out to repeat
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    You should also make sure the water it as hot as you can stand and leave it resting over the area before spitting out to repeat

Yep doing that, thanks :)

I'm just so worried because wherever I've looked it says it takes about a week to go, I've had it now for 5 days and it shows no sign of going :(

I just hoped if anyone had it they could advise how long it took to clear up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Fondant, I've got someone to go out and get me some TCP - do I just use a cotton bud and dab it on the area?

What I do is really soak the cotton bud so it's dripping wet - and then you can get the TCP all around the area - you could use your (clean) finger but mine are too big. Don't put the same end of the cotton bud in the TCP twice - I don't suppose the bugs will survive but you don't want to contaminate the bottle of TCP.

:)
    Forum Member
    What I do is really soak the cotton bud so it's dripping wet - and then you can get the TCP all around the area - you could use your (clean) finger but mine are too big. Don't put the same end of the cotton bud in the TCP twice - I don't suppose the bugs will survive but you don't want to contaminate the bottle of TCP.

Thanks so much, how long did it take yours to go?

Edit: I dont believe it, the shop doesn't have any TCP :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle, mine usually calms down after 24 hours of TCP but remember I'm not getting the full works that you are. It's very sore and swollen and I can barely shut my mouth BUT my teeth aren't impacted, they are through. One time it didn't get much better after 3 days which is when I used the Bonjela and that worked really well (I was a bit desperate and it surprised me that it worked).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much, how long did it take yours to go?

Edit: I dont believe it, the shop doesn't have any TCP :(

That's a shame, get some tomorrow. Meanwhile try the cotton bud trick with the mouthwash or the salt water.
    Forum Member
    Thanks fondant, I've just tried bonjela but it started stinging as soon as I put it on (is this normal? Never used it before...) so I washed my mouth out with water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    anbesol works and is easier to apply to the area than bonjela I find. All the best hope it goes soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks fondant, I've just tried bonjela but it started stinging as soon as I put it on (is this normal? Never used it before...) so I washed my mouth out with water.

Pretty much anything will sting for a bit as you are so sore. Put some more on and tough it out. (TCP will sting for a bit too.)

(Did your dentist tell you to use hot water? Personally I wouldn't use very hot water on tender gums but if the dentist told you to do that then keep going.)
    Forum Member
    Pretty much anything will sting for a bit as you are so sore. Put some more on and tough it out. (TCP will sting for a bit too.)

(Did your dentist tell you to use hot water? Personally I wouldn't use very hot water on tender gums but if the dentist told you to do that then keep going.)

I rang the dentist on Friday and she said warm water, but I have heard to use as hot as you can handle, not scalding though.

I'm feeling sick with worry about it as it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Another problem is I've recently moved to the area and haven't yet registered with the dentist, so technically I don't even have a dentist. If it's like this tomorrow I'm just going to go in there and hope they'll take pity on me. Zero chance probably but I can just tell this is going to get worse over Xmas. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzle, don't worry yourself sick, one way or another you will get treatment if you need it. If the dentist can't take you on he'll be able to tell you where to go. He's already given you advice over the phone so he's not going to turn you away without some sort of help.

Lay off the hot water. Stick to warm water that the dentist recommended. Gums are delicate, the hot water might be making things worse.

Remember, nothing lasts forever. Before you know it this will all be in the past. It's happened to us all at one time or another. My husband threw up in the summer when we were supposed to be travelling home from holiday. My daughter was nearly in hospital this time last year.

Chin up. :)
    Forum Member
    Fizzle, don't worry yourself sick, one way or another you will get treatment if you need it. If the dentist can't take you on he'll be able to tell you where to go. He's already given you advice over the phone so he's not going to turn you away without some sort of help.

Lay off the hot water. Stick to warm water that the dentist recommended. Gums are delicate, the hot water might be making things worse.

Remember, nothing lasts forever. Before you know it this will all be in the past. It's happened to us all at one time or another. My husband threw up in the summer when we were supposed to be travelling home from holiday. My daughter was nearly in hospital this time last year.

Chin up. :)

Thank you, that's really kind of you :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another problem is I've recently moved to the area and haven't yet registered with the dentist, so technically I don't even have a dentist. If it's like this tomorrow I'm just going to go in there and hope they'll take pity on me. Zero chance probably but I can just tell this is going to get worse over Xmas. :(

I'm moving soon and worried about that but apparently dentists don't work like doctors do and there is no "areas", so if you aren't a huge distance away from your old one (I'll be about 20 miles), they are still your dentist if you want or need them!
    Forum Member
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    I'm moving soon and worried about that but apparently dentists don't work like doctors do and there is no "areas", so if you aren't a huge distance away from your old one (I'll be about 20 miles), they are still your dentist if you want or need them!

Unfortunately I've moved more than 20 miles away!

I'm so confused this morning, as it's not as painful as it was yesterday, I don't want to be on antibiotics over Xmas so if I need a 5 day course tomorrows the last day I can go and beg for them. I just don't know what to do, whether to go and beg them for the antibiotics or not, I have no idea how long it's supposed to take to clear up so I don't know whether I'm doing the right thing or not. I just hope it's gone by Xmas, but if it's not I'll be kicking myself that I didn't go and get antibiotics.

:(
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to get that with my wisdom teeth. I found Peroxyl mouthwash worked wonders
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I used to get that with my wisdom teeth. I found Peroxyl mouthwash worked wonders

How long did it take to go away?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get antibiotics for over christmas, and you want to drink alcohol, then ask for something other than metronidazole. That's the only one that alcohol doesn't work with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas is a tricky time, you won't be the only person wondering whether to go to the dentist/doctor.

You could ask for a prescription on the understanding that you won't get it made up unless your condition deteriorates - then find out which pharmacies are open over Christmas so you'll know where to go in an emergency.

I hope it continues to get better.

Let us know how it goes.

Forum Member
    Christmas is a tricky time, you won't be the only person wondering whether to go to the dentist/doctor.

You could ask for a prescription on the understanding that you won't get it made up unless your condition deteriorates - then find out which pharmacies are open over Christmas so you'll know where to go in an emergency.

I hope it continues to get better.

Let us know how it goes.

Well I went to the dentists who were very unhelpful, they won't even talk to me until January when they're taking on new patients. They thrust a number under my nose of a dental helpline who also couldn't help me, but gave me another number. The lady was really helpful and just explained that every case is different and nobody can say how long it'll take to go.

She did say not to use an antiseptic mouthwash or anything other than warm salt water - so now I'm baffled as to what to use.

I tried to explain that the advice I was after was, if left untreated without antibiotics does it get worse, does the infection spread etc, because I could put up with it if I knew it wasn't going to spread and I didn't necessarily need antibiotics, but she didn't really have an answer.

So still no further forward.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it with my wisdom tooth and had to take the antibiotics you mentioned. As mine was just one tooth it was easier than for you. I was told to buy an injection and fill with corsdyl solution and flush the area. Make sure you floss daily. After eating rinse your mouth to remove loose food debris. Salt water and corsdyl worked but you shouldn't use it over long periods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH got diagnosed with this yesterday.
    He's been advised to use Corsydyl mouthwash and to floss daily.

She reckons this should help it out. And then she's having him back in a month or so to check and do a good clean and polish if it's better. If she does it now, then it will probably be too painful for him.