Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    To be fair, in some ways it was more like the United we know tonight, the fact that we had little go our way shouldn't detract that for 95% of that game we were in control, they suckered us with a wonderful counter attack, something straight out of our own play book. I don't fear them at Old Trafford, I know the result isn't what we wanted, but I said before the season started that our tactics would suit us in Europe. I didn't feel that United were under threat at all during the game, that we were comfortable. Yes, we looked a vulnerable at the back due to the team selection, but even then we weren't all over the place as we have been over the past few seasons.

I'm taking positives out of this game, more than I did out of Saturday's win. A better performance for me.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare I say it, but tonight Memphis reminded me of Nani.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    I switched off so haven't seen LVG's interview but I fully expect him to say we played better than on Saturday! In some respects we did... but not where it counts. Another LVG bogey team, well at least that's two of 'em out of the way this season...
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Liverpool on Sat; away trip; Shaw.

But the most worrying thing is that we've now lost 2 games already this season when we were 1-0 up. :(

Yeah, could do with signing a bloody psychologist to get into their heads.

I never felt they were going to score after their second goal went in.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On a good day or a bad one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A double fracture of the right leg for Shaw apparently, that does not sound good at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a good day or a bad one?

On a good day, scored a good goal, but was then wasteful for the rest of the match.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member

You can say it but that's rubbish in my opinion.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Chin up lads and lasses, Citeh lost at home!

Definitely ensured the night wasn't a complete wash out:D

Thought we were the better side and at least deserved a point. Was always going to be a tricky game though, and I'm confident we'll do enough to get through this group.

Stating the obvious but the Shaw injury is a huge blow for him, especially considering all he went through last season. He was just reaching a point where he was enjoying regular football and this happens. Could be a long road back from here...
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to be fair you're wrong. Players by definition don't come back from career ending injuries. They come back from career threatening injuries and tackles can be potential career enders but for an injury to be career ending it has to, well, end your career.

Ok. In a one on one convo it's easier to explain tone and grammer mistakes than waiting minutes for responses.
    I did actually mean career threatening injury.

Anyway. Hope he comes back well. He is only a kid. Hope he stays strong, I imagine the song support from the backroom staff and the fans will help him through.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    away goals dont matter in the group stage

They can do if you finish level on points with PSV with a win apiece against each other. That's what did for Chelsea the year we ended up in the Europa.
  • catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can do if you finish level on points with PSV with a win apiece against each other. That's what did for Chelsea the year we ended up in the Europa.

That clearly wasn't what was meant though
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    That clearly wasn't what was meant though

Regardless of what the other poster meant, what you said was still incorrect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was such a depressing match to watch. My thoughts about the match are that until LVG's substitution brainfart our attacking play was better than a lot of what I've seen this season, and I think having Martial up front really added something, so it'd make sense if Rooney plays behind him when he's fit again.

That said, the chances we do create we just don't seem to put away, we're like a freshly promoted Premier League team in that respect. I'm starting to get a little fed up too about LVG's obsession with possession, as it allows the opposition to get men behind the ball far too easily making things even more difficult for us. Look at PSV's goal, I know Darmian made a mistake but it shows that much faster play can be far more effective, and I don't think we vary our play enough that it just becomes all too predictable for teams to play against us.

I think we need alternative ways of playing and not just lumping Fellaini on.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense he is nowhere near Nani status tonight, or any other match.

Nonsense ramblings.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was decent enough until Fellaini came on, then we completely ran out of ideas. That free kick at the end was shambolic and sums up where we are at the moment.

If you're going to play Fellaini, then for Christ's sake play to his strengths. There's absolutely no logic to bringing him on and not putting him up high for hoofball. To bring him on over Carrick in midfield makes no sense. I also thought making 2 changes in 1 by bringing Rojo on, then switching him with Blind was a mistake. We missed Blind's distribution and he was too slow for their winner chasing back.

On the positive side, Martial looks a proper player, albeit one who is very raw and needs bringing along slowly. Smalling is looking more immense every game, and a fit Schweinsteiger is pretty bloody good. I was surprised he started given that he did 90 minutes against Liverpool and was dead on his feet at the end, but he was a model of composure.

As for Shaw, I'm genuinely gutted for him. Been our most improved player by a mile this year and was finally looking like the player we thought we were getting last summer and more. He'll be back, it'll take a while but he's young enough to recover. The refereeing of that situation was a disgrace, though entirely in keeping with how he handled that first half. And then of course the player who shouldn't have been on the pitch had to be the one to get the equaliser didn't he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should we look to buy or try to get another left-back into the club in January, so that Blind can go back to centre-back, where he has performed quite well so far?
    Forum Member
    Should we look to buy or try to get another left-back into the club in January, so that Blind can go back to centre-back, where he has performed quite well so far?

No, I think we'll be OK. We are going to have to cope and will cope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Blind at left-back and Rojo at centre-back for the Saints game then, hopefully that works out better than it did tonight.
    Forum Member
    So Blind at left-back and Rojo at centre-back for the Saints game then, hopefully that works out better than it did tonight.

Or the other way around. Shaw will be missed, but we've got others to play in that position. LVG being optimistic by suggesting Shaw will be back in 6 months, but who knows??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's hope we field them the other way round, Blind has been great playing CB so we shouldn't jeopardise that, Rojo should be able to do a better job at LB too I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broken bones are really not career enders in football these days. Any medical person will tell you that muscular or ligament damage can have a worse long term effect.

Bones generally heal to more or less the same strength they were before especially if they are 'clean' breaks. The biggest challenge following a break is dealing with the psychology of playing again. For a player who is as instinctive as Shaw, the margins are very thin. Personally I think he will be just fine.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ge0rge wrote: »
    Let's hope we field them the other way round, Blind has been great playing CB so we shouldn't jeopardise that, Rojo should be able to do a better job at LB too I feel.

Yes I agree with you, Blind has been very good at Centre-Back, think Rojo can slot into Left-Back without too many problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley Cole's available on a free...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Ashley Cole's available on a free...

Not the worst option out there in the situation we find ourselves in.
This discussion has been closed.