Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    There has been zero promotion for the final New Tricks. Lewis will be head to head or ahead of it I reckon.

Not seen the episode yet but rather sad that the ending wasn't heralded and going out on a high rather than having been pulled on the back of a difficult transition series. Thems the breaks I guess.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    New Tricks has been doing 5.5m every eek, how would Lewis on ITV Tuesday beat it? I think, in fact I'm sure NT will be over 1m ahead of Lewis. The ITV drama is not as strong anymore.

Would be a big surprise to me if Lewis got near to NT. Would think a lot of people will record both parts before watching as well which wont do it any favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jekyll & Hyde set for teatime slot at 6.30pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/itv-drama-jekyll-hyde-gets-6578729

This is either going to go down well, or flop hard. It might end up turning away the family audience if its too dark, but as in the article ITV have screened Harry Potter during daytime.

Thats a lot earlier than I thought although I suppose there is not much difference between 6:30/7:00. So it was always intended as a prewatershed show afterall but even so against SCD is not great.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Thats a lot earlier than I thought although I suppose there is not much difference between 6:30/7:00. So it was always intended as a prewatershed show afterall but even so against SCD is not great.

Going up against Strictly is either complete madness or quite clever as ITV know that Strictly gradually moves later as the show shortens. This could give Jekyll a fifty percent head start on Strictly. However it will then face Pointless. It should time shift well, fingers crossed.

As for the quoted success of Primeval in the article - i personally enjoyed it, but didn't it struggle when it was shown.

The numbers for Primeval started with 7 million back in 2007 and finished around 2.9 million for the start of its final series. The figures do look ok by todays numbers but it was a very different tv landscape.
  • Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian report that Piers Morgan is about to complete a deal with Good Morning Britain. I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever ratings wise.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron_2015 wrote: »
    The Guardian report that Piers Morgan is about to complete a deal with Good Morning Britain. I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever ratings wise.

Perhaps the deal is that he guarantees not to appear on it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are ITV trying to seal the fate of GMB ?

At least if he is doing the breakfast show, he might have little time to do his awful evening show - yes I know I am probably expecting too much :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Are ITV trying to seal the fate of GMB ?

At least if he is doing the breakfast show, he might have little time to do his awful evening show - yes I know I am probably expecting too much :D

ITV are only committed to GMB until April 2016, after that all bets are off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    ITV are only committed to GMB until April 2016, after that all bets are off.

Things must be bad as GMB are up for an NTA for a new category of Live Magazine Show.

So a fresh new category is created in order for it to win an award ? ;)

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/good-morning-britain-nominated-for-an-nta
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going up against Strictly is either complete madness or quite clever as ITV know that Strictly gradually moves later as the show shortens. This could give Jekyll a fifty percent head start on Strictly. However it will then face Pointless. It should time shift well, fingers crossed.

As for the quoted success of Primeval in the article - i personally enjoyed it, but didn't it struggle when it was shown.

The numbers for Primeval started with 7 million back in 2007 and finished around 2.9 million for the start of its final series. The figures do look ok by todays numbers but it was a very different tv landscape.

Primeval just did not have enough ideas and gradually got worse. I dont know why its being compared to Jeykll though surely (whisper it so as not to upset ITV) it should be compared to Demons.
    How well it does is going to depend whether people generally actually want fantasy drama at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things must be bad as GMB are up for an NTA for a new category of Live Magazine Show.

So a fresh new category is created in order for it to win an award ? ;)

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/good-morning-britain-nominated-for-an-nta

Up against BBC Breakfast and This Morning:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Primeval just did not have enough ideas and gradually got worse. I dont know why its being compared to Jeykll though surely (whisper it so as not to upset ITV) it should be compared to Demons.
    How well it does is going to depend whether people generally actually want fantasy drama at all.

I had forgotten about Demons, which on paper was a good idea. Quite why Glennister had to do an appalling American accent was beyond me - but ITV should have learned a lesson from that show, hopefully.

I think Merlin tapped into the Harry Potter years, Doctor Who is just that, but Atlantis was a step wrong. It had nothing around it, film wise that people could latch on to (im trying to be polite and not say that it was rubbish).

With Jekyll we have the current trend for superheroes, although whether Jekyll can be a monster slayer is another thing.

Beowulf could be considered as ITV looking at Game of Thrones and deciding that they would like their own vision of it, but with a obviously lower budget. I cant remember exactly how much each episode of GoT costs but its huge.

I
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't GoT something like $10m per ep?
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 31s31 seconds ago
    Farewell #NewTricks: the popular BBC drama bowed out with a slot-winning 4.5m/21.6% at 9pm on BBC1 @mouthwaite http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Farewell #NewTricks: the popular BBC drama bowed out with a slot-winning 4.5m/21.6% at 9pm on BBC1 @mouthwaite http://www.overnights.tv

Lewis beaten then by yet more old coppers:D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe indicative of the general malaise affecting TV viewing & ratings - would have expected a bit more from the final ever episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

That is bonkers
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe indicative of the general malaise affecting TV viewing & ratings - would have expected a bit more from the final ever episode.

It had no promotion that it was the last episode. A shame for New Tricks that they didn't make a bigger deal of the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It had no promotion that it was the last episode. A shame for New Tricks that they didn't make a bigger deal of the episode.

It was not a great ending though so you could see why they did not promote it too much.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

In 2010 it was allegedly $4.5m an episode.

In 2012 it was reportedly $6 million (£3.8 million) an episode.

Last year it was said to be still $6m an episode.

But the original pilot was said to have cost over $10m and the first season cost $60m which doesn't match what was reported in 2010.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 49s50 seconds ago
    #hairybikers #NorthernExposure concluded with excellent audience of 2.4m/11.8% at 8pm on BBC2 http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't Piers too much of a bloke for GMB?
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't watch new tricks last night, the first ep i've missed, don't like endings.:o
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was not a great ending though so you could see why they did not promote it too much.

If it was still getting 7/8m the finale would have been promoted like a big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Possibly a split of the audience there with Lewis.

Sad for a show to bow out like it has. It did look like it was doing so well this year. I still believe that they should bring it back for a couple of specials around Christmas each year. A Christmas New Tricks on a Boxing Day once a year would be quite nice.
This discussion has been closed.