Daily Mail Interview with Jimmy Saville

Comments

• Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old "no smoke without fire" theory thats convicted many a murderer...NOT!

Thank God the judicial system doesn't operate on that basis!

We aren't talking about murderers, were talking about a man who's had many rumours about him flying around, both pre and post internet.

And where have any convicted murderers been jailed on a ''no smoke without fire'' basis? It's not a law that springs readily to mind.
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We aren't talking about murderers, were talking about a man who's had many rumours about him flying around, both pre and post internet.

And where have any convicted murderers been jailed on a ''no smoke without fire'' basis? It's not a law that springs readily to mind.

Don't you understand sarcasim?

My point was the rumours are no more than that...just rumours.

I think it's time to drop this thread because it's just the same innuendo being repeated again and again...unless someone wants to print some concrete allegations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's time to drop this thread because it's just the same innuendo being repeated again and again...unless someone wants to print some concrete allegations?

Oh, it was sarcasm? :D:D

I'm sure if the mods think it's time to close it they will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, it was sarcasm? :D:D

I'm sure if the mods think it's time to close it they will.

Yes it was...I stand corrected re the spelling:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was...I stand corrected re the spelling:o

Didn't notice the spelling, just that your attempt was so well disguised I didn't even realise it was sarcasm...... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't notice the spelling, just that your attempt was so well disguised I didn't even realise it was sarcasm...... :D

Some people understand it, some don't...that's life:D
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You might find sarcasim in the cellar with the others!:eek:!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt I'll be accused of hearsay again but what led me to searching for JS on Google was when I watching an old TOTP clip and the Nolans were performing. After it, JS stood next to the girls and had his arm around Coleen, who must have been a teen at the time, and she made it clear she did not want his arms around her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    No doubt I'll be accused of hearsay again but what led me to searching for JS on Google was when I watching an old TOTP clip and the Nolans were performing. After it, JS stood next to the girls and had his arm around Coleen, who must have been a teen at the time, and she made it clear she did not want his arms around her.

Funny enough saw that clip whilst transferring old TOTP from onto DVD and I noticed her reaction as well.

However I'm sure you'll agree that reaction doesn't merit the innuendo posted here.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of those 'old stylee' DJ's could be accused of similar behaviour on TOTP eg Dave Lee Travisty and Tony Blackburn - just an unfortunate side effect of having middle aged DJs host a program aimed at the early teens:rolleyes:.
    I find it hard to believe that Jimmy Saville has the power to crush all investigations into his private life - if there was something very dodgy there it would be published - after Jonathon King and Gary Glitter the papers aren't going to fight shy of a juicy story like that.
    I suspect Saville is probably a bit of an arse when not 'on the record' but no more than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Jimmy is a strange kettle of fish - from what I have noticed, I think a certain decline set in after his mother died in 1973 - not being there first time around, I was astonished how good he was on the pre-75 Top Of The Pops compared to the shows afterwards when he seemed completely out of touch.
    He has adopted a "stand-off-ish" personality in order to conscientiously avoid any kind of intimate contact, that he feels compelled to cut himself even further than he was is quite a damning indictment of our society. Tony Blackburn wrote that Jim was an inpenitratable enigma even back in the 60's, even off-air.
    The groundless rumours are disgraceful. Never mind "no smoke without fire", how about "no bullshit without proof".
    He's 84. That "flirtiness" was atypical of that generation, my Grandad is still at it in his nursing home, bless. Footage of Pete Murray doing TOTP reveal very similar stuff, it was seemingly the done thing then for middle-aged presenters to flirt with young girls. It is only recently that we expect men to pretend they don't find these girls attractive!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy is a strange kettle of fish - from what I have noticed, I think a certain decline set in after his mother died in 1973 - not being there first time around, I was astonished how good he was on the pre-75 Top Of The Pops compared to the shows afterwards when he seemed completely out of touch.
    He has adopted a "stand-off-ish" personality in order to conscientiously avoid any kind of intimate contact, that he feels compelled to cut himself even further than he was is quite a damning indictment of our society. Tony Blackburn wrote that Jim was an inpenitratable enigma even back in the 60's, even off-air.
    The groundless rumours are disgraceful. Never mind "no smoke without fire", how about "no bullshit without proof".
    He's 84. That "flirtiness" was atypical of that generation, my Grandad is still at it in his nursing home, bless. Footage of Pete Murray doing TOTP reveal very similar stuff, it was seemingly the done thing then for middle-aged presenters to flirt with young girls. It is only recently that we expect men to pretend they don't find these girls attractive!

Well said!

It's nice to hear the voice of reason!
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally appreciate and understand that unless something concrete comes out about JS, then people feel well within their rights to defend him. I will never try particularly hard to change anyone's mind because it's their right to think what they want.

However. I have first hand knowledge of what this man is like. My family know him very very well. My dad wouldn't let me watch Jim'll Fix It, because of what he witnessed, and I get the feeling there's much more I wasn't told.

If you dig around on the net you'll find very interesting pictures and video of JS - many of those give a good insight into his true sort, without any need to baselessly believe rumour, if you don't want to. I think JS's connections go high enough to keep any big stories coming out whilst he's alive, and I'm not sure how the media would handle speaking 'ill of the dead' when he goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was a teenage girl though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If my dad was still alive, he'd have been slightly older than JS, but he's of that generation. However, he would no more have dreamed of behaving like Pete Murray or JS towards very young women any more than he'd have dreamed of changing sex. It isn't 'atypical' whatever you might think.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally appreciate and understand that unless something concrete comes out about JS, then people feel well within their rights to defend him. I will never try particularly hard to change anyone's mind because it's their right to think what they want.

However. I have first hand knowledge of what this man is like. My family know him very very well. My dad wouldn't let me watch Jim'll Fix It, because of what he witnessed, and I get the feeling there's much more I wasn't told.

If you dig around on the net you'll find very interesting pictures and video of JS - many of those give a good insight into his true sort, without any need to baselessly believe rumour, if you don't want to. I think JS's connections go high enough to keep any big stories coming out whilst he's alive, and I'm not sure how the media would handle speaking 'ill of the dead' when he goes.

'First hand knowledge' implies that you actually witnessed JS's alleged behavior yourself. Did you? Or is it your father who witnessed his behavior - in which case, it would be 'Second hand knowledge'.
  • KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Feelings!! Brillliant.

I think JS's connections go high enough to keep any big stories coming out whilst he's alive, and I'm not sure how the media would handle speaking 'ill of the dead' when he goes.

BS. Is he in the mafia or something lol. And media arent going to mention it when he's dead!! Ridiculous.
    Either say what you "know" or it's more BS! You could re-name him. :

Fred BLoggs molested a girl in 1975 backstage at TOTP. See?
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Sir Jimmy must have been the Russell Brand of his heyday. Expect I don't think he never married a good looking popstar. Roll on 40/50 years and see what RB may be like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    She was a teenage girl though.
    So were the majority of the TOTP studio audience. At it's height (64-74) the audience were as important as the music, and the presenters were all obliged to involve (chat up) the audience - not just Jimmy! (or indeed Pete). It was the norm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Jimmy must have been the Russell Brand of his heyday. Expect I don't think he never married a good looking popstar. Roll on 40/50 years and see what RB may be like.

Wasn't he engaged to the singer Polly Brown (of Pickettywitch among others) in the 70s?

If I remember rightly in a interview he gave years later he claimed she was the love of his life but broke his heart.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't he engaged to the singer Polly Brown (of Pickettywitch among others) in the 70s?

If I remember rightly in a interview he gave years later he claimed she was the love of his life but broke his heart.

He's admitted that was just a publicity stunt for Polly, who was trying to launch a solo career.
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's admitted that was just a publicity stunt for Polly, who was trying to launch a solo career.

She has a show of her own...................in the cellar!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for sounding horribly naive but what is this "cellar" that everyone keeps referring to??:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for sounding horribly naive but what is this "cellar" that everyone keeps referring to??:confused:

I'd imagine it's to do with La Haut de Garenne, the children's home in Jersey where the cellar was searched for evidence of bodies being buried. JS was allegedly involved in abuse there.